Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
xp_wannabe

Default Replacing rear wheel bearings in AU2 XR6 Ute

G'day fellas,

you might have seen a few threads here and there on my ute, and the noisy diff it has.

I want to try replacing the rear wheel (axle?) bearings and see if it makes it any better.

As far as I can tell it goes something like this:

1. Remove wheels and brakes (calipers and discs)
2. Remove axles (turn the disc around on the hub and tap them out with a hammer)
3. Remove bearings (slide hammer)
4. Reverse above with new bearings.

I have read that i'll need a slide hammer to get the bearings out, any tips on this? is there a certain type or size of slide hammer ill need?

Are there any other tips and tricks?

What needs greasing etc and what grease should i use?

Should I drop the oil out of the diff first or is the centre sealed off from the axles?

Thanks, Mark

xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Replacing rear wheel bearings in AU2 XR6 Ute

I used a grinder, A chisel and a hammer. Cut the bearing off and cut the inner race a tiny bit then smash it with a chisel.

Some oil may come out but not too much.

4 bolts hold in the axle behind the hub, Rotate the hub to align the hub hole with the bolt.

I cant remember if they are sealed bearings or not, If they are sealed don't grease them.

I had a pipe long enough to fit over the axle and fit the inner race so i could bash the new bearings on.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post