Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #61
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Yep that one sits on Vienna road almost every day
Was on Mt Gravatt Capalaba Road on saturday, just before Bryan Byrt Ford as you go up the hill...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #62
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Bus shelter near me, has a Chockito ad, Police won't like!!
It says " Chokito Says No To Hidden Speed Cameras"
Could that be dig at Police hiding them behind bus shelters!!!!
Dude, as per my previous post - are the police hiding them, or private operators?
Old 15-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #63
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Majority of Police Officers I have spoken with in the last week or so have not had a good thing to say about these new 'speed camera vehicles' and they told me which ones to look for and also said they would let us know where they are etc so we at work can let people know what to look for. They are against them as they are not about road safety from what they have said.

So look out for a white rodeo, plus there is a grey camry being moved from spot to spot on the north Brissy side.
I have spotted the white rodeo regularly parked either side of the twin BPs (Caboolture) in the last few days.
There is also a VW Golf working last week around Sunnybank , the cam is rear bumber mouned over the numberplate
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #64
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they are photographing front numberplates, then us motorcyclists have nothing to worry about.
Old 15-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #65
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently 'speed camera rules' state that they are not even allowed to photograph the front of your car.

The are not allowed to operate on hills or bends, within 300 metres of a speed change, they are not allowed to hde and there has to be a sign somewhere stating there is a speed camera.

But none of those rules seam to be obeyed.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #66
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
Dude, as per my previous post - are the police hiding them, or private operators?
In Queensland, revenue cameras are operated by the Police, not private enterprise..
Old 15-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #67
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
You think that police or anyone believes the road toll is largely due to people cutting in and out of traffic and tailgating? evidence of?

Really it is union irresponibility of the highest order, surely the extra cameras are going to assist in reducing speeding drivers? if not explain how they couldnt?
Do you think low range speeding is the cause of a lot of the road toll? Evidence of?

Yes the number of speeding drivers doing 65 in a 60 zone will decrease. If some idiot wants to do 30 over they still will. Obviously they wont care about cameras since they are stupid enough to not care about anything.

If there was more police on the road they could reduce speeding drivers AND tailgaters, people cutting in and all other bad drivers.
A discreet speed camera can only detect speeding. You could do a burnout past one with no seat belt on, cut in front of people then tailgate someone with no head lights on at night and you will get away with it.

Sell the stupid camera car worth $50,000, sell the cameras worth thousands of dollars and fire the brain dead moron who sits in the camera car all day playing with himself getting probably $45,000 a year.

Then use all that money to pay the salary of TWO extra police officers. Those TWO officers could catch speeders, tailgaters, people who cannot drive in one lane, drunk drivers, idiots who use no headlights at night, PLUS they can deal with other crimes not related to roads. So they can make the roads and general community safer.

But sorry that will not bring in as much money.
Who needs safety when you are a millionaire, you can just wrap yourself in bubble wrap, because you sure as hell can afford it with all the revenue of speeding fines.
Old 15-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #68
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But don't you know that you can do whatever the hell you want in a car if it's at or below the speed limit.

There's only one road rule now - don't speed.
Old 15-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #69
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Do you think low range speeding is the cause of a lot of the road toll? Evidence of?
Road toll and accident rates decrease when lower tolerances introduced.

You will also find the high percentage of pedestrian collisions involve "low range" speeding, not always something the driver admits to and not something that's all that easy to prosecute against unless there are tell tale long skid marks on the road.

That aside, you have appeared to have missed the point of my post. The police union by virtue of the timing of its rhetoric, appears only concerned about the possible loss of jobs to machines rather than the safety and finances of the public.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #70
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Road toll and accident rates decrease when lower tolerances introduced.

Any evidence?

Seams like each year there are more speeders being caught and the governments making more revenue. But the road toll is always going down or staying similar.

With more speeders wouldn't the road toll increase?
Old 15-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #71
sudszy
Banned

Default Re: Q Police Union Slams the 3 New Covert Revenue Cameras.

Quote:
Sell the stupid camera car worth $50,000, sell the cameras worth thousands of dollars and fire the brain dead moron who sits in the camera car all day playing with himself getting probably $45,000 a year.

Then use all that money to pay the salary of TWO extra police officers.

I think you need to do the maths on that one, that will be three shifts a day x 2 extra police officers + cars to run maintain, and it will be a cost that has to be met each year.
Old 15-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #72
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Any evidence?

Seams like each year there are more speeders being caught and the governments making more revenue. But the road toll is always going down or staying similar.

With more speeders wouldn't the road toll increase?
using your logic: if we didnt have law enforcement no one would be caught speeding and hence there would be no speedsters? goodness, I think Ill pass on this one!
Old 16-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #73
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
using your logic: if we didnt have law enforcement no one would be caught speeding and hence there would be no speedsters? goodness, I think Ill pass on this one!
No, you are very unintelligent. I was not suggesting that police should never fine speeders. I never said that. I simply said if speeding is the main problem, then in theory shouldn't the road toll rise since we have more people speeding?
Covert speed cameras don't slow drivers down until weeks and weeks after they are snapped. At least if a cop get you, you are slowed immediately. Plus while you are getting a ticket, everyone else passing you will see the cop car's flashing lights and slow down too.
Not many people are going to slow down when they see a random ute parked on the side of a road. Therefore the problem of speeding is not actually fixed.
People are still speeding past that area. Which should be a black spot, because that is what these cameras are meant for right? Black spots? That is what they say, but they seam to be only set up where it is easy to get speeders.

The point of my post before was to suggest there is more to the big picture then just speeding.

But all we ever hear about is speeding. When was the last time you saw or heard something for road safety that wasn't speeding? I hear a RBT advertisements every now and then, but apart from that is SPEED SPEED SPEED. It's tiring and boring.
According to QLD independent research, A very small 2% of crashes are cause solely due to speed. The other 98% have other factors that cause the crash.

Why don't they research what the biggest factors are and advertise and enforce them? That would make roads safer right?

Too much work? Well lets just enforce speed, So when people run into each other(which is guaranteed to happen at some stage thanks to all the pathetic drivers) they wont hit each other as hard.

I think its funny that you are basically objecting to putting extra police on the road.
I said 2 cops, not 2 shifts.
Plus in NSW they do 12 hour shifts, so its not 3 extra cops a day, just 2.

Replacing a camera car with 1 or 2 cops is better then nothing. At least the community will be better off. It will be money well spent.

Last edited by Ben73; 16-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 16-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #74
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Not many people are going to slow down when they see a random ute parked on the side of a road. Therefore the problem of speeding is not actually fixed.
Ben, Australia is a big country, we cant put police everywhere.

Its all about increasing the chances of changing people's long term behaviours and having them obey limits all the time, not just when they see a marked camera or patrol car.

You imply that there is no consequence to being snapped by a speed camera, the consequence may be delayed a few weeks, but the consequence is just as real, Im yet to meet anyone who after a fine from those sneaky cameras doesnt moderate their behaviour in relation to the speed they travel at.

You can wax lyrical about how a police car would have pulled up the dangerously speeding vehicle and saved a family of four from being wiped out, however, given that there would have been little chance of the driver being in the same space and time as a patrol car(even if we quadrupled the numbers) or being stupid enough to behave in full view of a patrol car the camera has a far greater chance of picking up not only the speed creepers but the absolute morons as well.

Last edited by sudszy; 16-03-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #75
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You imply that there is no consequence to being snapped by a speed camera, the consequence may be delayed a few weeks, but the consequence is just as real, Im yet to meet anyone who after a fine from those sneaky cameras doesnt moderate their behaviour in relation to the speed they travel at
A fine in the mail is just another bill to most people. It also doesnt "curb their behavour for how many weeks?
How many times does this need to be said?
If a car goes past a speed camera at 150kmh in a 100zone.... does it curb his behavour? NO....
If he was pulled over by Police he would loose his car (depending on what state your in) and immediately loose his licence as well.

Quote:
You can wax lyrical about how a police car would have pulled up the dangerously speeding vehicle and saved a family of four from being wiped out, however, given that there would have been little chance of the driver being in the same space and time as a patrol car(even if we quadrupled the numbers) or being stupid enough to behave in full view of a patrol car the camera has a far greater chance of picking up not only the speed creepers but the absolute morons as well.
So whats the differance if there was a Patrol car parked on the side of the road with a hand held radar or a speed camera car? By your definition there is less chance that a patrol car will pick up a speeding car at the same location as what a speed camera does?

Clearly you dont notice how people behave when they see a cop car.... most drivers slow down and are too afraid to overtake a marked car when its on the move..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #76
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you think we'll ever see the day when there's a speed camera in your car? like the Bruce Willis movie '5th element', every time he does something wrong it prints out a ticket and takes points off his license.
Old 16-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #77
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
do you think we'll ever see the day when there's a speed camera in your car? like the Bruce Willis movie '5th element', every time he does something wrong it prints out a ticket and takes points off his license.
Probably. Sudszy would love that.

There will be less cars on the road because all the 'deadly' speed creepers who accidentally do 5 over the limit, will lose their licence in 1 trip.
Old 16-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #78
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ben, Australia is a big country, we cant put police everywhere.

Its all about increasing the chances of changing people's long term behaviours and having them obey limits all the time, not just when they see a marked camera or patrol car.

You cannot put covert camera cars everywhere either.

If there was more cops around, they would be doing more speed checks. And if that was more common people would slow down more often because they will never know if there is a cop with a camera around the corner.

It doesn't need to be a camera car to change attitudes. A cop can do the same thing. Probably can do a better job because I'm sure it is embarrassing to be pulled over by a cop on a busy road.
I don't know I have never been pulled over ever.
Old 16-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #79
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i was younger i got pulled over for speeding 3 times, certainly embaressing as i had people in the car in two of the occasions.
Been caught on speed camera once (that was the last time i was done for speeding) over 14yrs ago.

I used to get pulled over by Police all the time because of my car (XB sedan) and eventually i put it away for a while. (but it was just the usual excuse, breath test, vehicle check etc)

but being done for speeding by an actual cop (when young) made a much bigger impact then getting a fine 2 or 3 weeks later!

Old 16-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #80
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
A fine in the mail is just another bill to most people. It also doesnt "curb their behavour for how many weeks?
Just saying something again and again doesnt give it credibility.

As I explained, it is long term behaviour we are trying to change, immediate notice would be preferable, however, the same message will eventually reach the minds of even people that cant abide by simple laws, speed, you lose your money and/or your licence.

Quote:
So whats the differance if there was a Patrol car parked on the side of the road with a hand held radar or a speed camera car? By your definition there is less chance that a patrol car will pick up a speeding car at the same location as what a speed camera does?
Certainly is, once they detect them need to stop them, write out the ticket etc, about six an hour maximum. How many people can have their behaviour changed by a speed camera in a hour?

Do I want to pay heaps more taxes so we can quadruple the police force to achieve what speed cameras can do at a fraction of the cost?

Quote:
If a car goes past a speed camera at 150kmh in a 100zone.... does it curb his behavour? NO....
If he was pulled over by Police he would loose his car (depending on what state your in) and immediately loose his licence as well.

Clearly you dont notice how people behave when they see a cop car.... most drivers slow down and are too afraid to overtake a marked car when its on the move..

Quote:

??? Ive driven a few miles! When a patrol car is around people suddenly manage to keep under the speed limit, indicate properly and all the other things required for good driving. Its what happens when they arent around that is the problem.

As I obviously failed to communicate in my last post is that Australia is a big country, even quadrupling police numbers isnt going to make a big presence on our roads.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #81
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just saying something again and again doesnt give it credibility.
So all the ads and government people constantly saying SPEED KILLS SPEED KILLS SPEED KILLS has no credibility.
Old 17-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #82
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As I obviously failed to communicate in my last post is that Australia is a big country, even quadrupling police numbers isnt going to make a big presence on our roads.

But having more hidden speed cameras will make thing better on the road?

Old 17-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #83
vee-eight
Starter Motor

In bet the state governments just wish they could fire all police and just use cameras, even to fine people for assaults and bag snatches, car thefts... Just put cameras everywhere and the population must have a registration number tattooed on their forehead.
vee-eight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #84
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
So all the ads and government people constantly saying SPEED KILLS SPEED KILLS SPEED KILLS has no credibility.
LOL, no, it only applies to things that are false.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #85
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL, no, it only applies to things that are false.
I know you are just a speed camera buff. I cannot take anything you say about 'road safety' seriously. You seam very one eyed, just like the government and many police. It's all about speed camera to you. You seam to think speed cameras(particular covert ones) are the entire picture, you don't want to consider anything else.

You only ever post in threads that are related to speed cameras. You are just trying to spread the propaganda here, it's not going to work.
I know you don't care about Fords at all.

How much are you paid to post here?
I'm interested in getting into the occupation of professional troll. Just for a bit of money on the side.
Old 18-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #86
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an example of how Police on the roads pulling over speeders IS MORE effective in reducing crime (as opposed to a camera):
Quote:
A BMW intercepted speeding on the Bruce Highway was subject to a police search that uncovered 55 grams of high-grade methamphetamine after traffic police became suspicious of the three male occupants.

Crown prosecutor David Jones told the Townsville Supreme Court in front of Justice Kerry Cullinane that the car was travelling from Townsville to Cairns when it was pulled over on February 22, 2008.

"It was caught speeding, travelling at 137km/h in a 100km/h zone not exactly flying under the radar," he said.

The crown said a police sergeant searched the vehicle after the demeanour of the driver and two passengers raised suspicions.

"The search revealed two bags of methamphetamine found wrapped up in a shirt (and shorts) on the back seat," Mr Jones said.

The crown case alleged both bags weighed around 27 grams one bag of methamphetamine was 20 per cent in purity while the other was 17 per cent. There was also a set of scales in the gloves box, a pipe on the floor of the vehicle and 0.106 grams of cocaine in the drivers' wallet.
How many times do we see on those cop shows on TV how a routine pull over for RBT or speeding turns into a drug bust or a stolen car or a car used in a crime???

If a speed camera was set up these idiots in the BMW wouldve got a ticket in the mail, had a laugh and then probably not even bother pay it.
Criminals dont care if they get photographed....