Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Does the new RWD Territory I-6 and diesel offer enough fuel economy
to make Falcon sedan buyers consider a switch?

Could Territory become the dominant partner, further eroding the need for a Falcon?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the other hand not changing the models every 10 minutes has one VERY strong sales point.

When buying a new car, which for most people is the second most expensive thing they will ever buy, there tends to be some pride and emotion involved.

This pride gets a big hit in the nuts when less than a year after you have lashed out what seems like fifty bazillion dollars you are driving "the old model" and then before you have even com close to paying it out it is several models old and worth bugger all.

Great for those who want to buy cheap second habd cars but it people stop buying new ones then there will be no second hand ones.

I had an $88k BF2 F6 bought in May 2005, when I went to sell it in April 2008 it was 3 models old (FG was out) and I was flat out getting $31k for it.
My $62k 3 yeard old datto (1 model old) is about to disappear for about $40k

If I were to buy a new BMW 1 or 3 it would look almost exactly the same as a 4 year old one and the second hand prices reflect this.

New models only appeal to people who have not bought recently (and often are not going to buy anyway)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto eNews
Asked if he saw the next Commodore, designated VF and due in 2014, he replied: “I did, and it’s the absolute right Commodore for that market. “I feel very good about it. We will have to change subjects – I can’t stand still thinking about that car.”
You would have to ask if the question Mr Welburn was asked included the bold part or not. It changes the meaning of the answer significantly
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It certainly looks like that could have been added to change the whole question.

It all depends on wether Holden can afford to pay for a full re-body yet or not. They certainly have no money for sheetmetal changes at the moment, GM left them holding the ball after they cancelled all the other cars the platform was going to spawn like Impala, Buick etc, and also cancelled G8, G8 wagon and ute exports to the US, that Holden was relying on to cover the costs of designing the VE platform in the first place. Billion dollar baby is like a billion dollar chain around Holdens neck.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #35
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
And that's the difference, Ford evolves their Falcon through rolling changes so that most of the parts
change over 7-8 years but people swear blind there's more carry over than is actually the case...
Thats been their track record, though i think had AU not bombed we couldve been looking at a near enough clean sheet Falcon for 2006-2007.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #36
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I had an $88k BF2 F6 bought in May 2005, when I went to sell it in April 2008 it was 3 models old (FG was out) and I was flat out getting $31k for it.
Well you must be a fool paying $88k for a BA F6 when they retailed for about $60k.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post