Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Turbo Top DoorSlammers?
Yes 16 80.00%
No 1 5.00%
Maybe in a few years 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
prasac
Banned

Default Turbo PRO-MOD/Top DoorSlammers should we see them in Australia?

about 2 years ago the NHRA decided to allow Brad Personett's turbo car a shot to run in Pro-Mod (US version of our Top Doorslammers) within 2 years Brad Personett has won a few races and holds a couple speed records he finished 3rd in the points series.

the future looks bright for another turbo car, the R2B2 Corvette of Eric Dillard which just ran a 5.88@255 at testing and Aeromotive's Steve Matusek will soon be debuting his 500ci Turbo Mustang which should be another 5-second turbo car.

should they allow turbo cars to run in Top Doorslammer here in Australia? with same weight/cube rules etc? what are your thoughts?

couple video's of the turbo pro-mods
R2B2 Racing

Brad Personett 5.80@247

Personett Pro-Mod Speed Record

Brad is also the fastest man in the world on a 10.5'' wide tyre, running a 6.08@250mph.

Last edited by prasac; 23-02-2011 at 04:53 PM.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see why not if it will bring more competitors and spectators to the sport. It should bring a new wave of excitement, Turbos Vs Blowers and maybe bring about a more competetive spirit from the spectators.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
I don't see why not if it will bring more competitors and spectators to the sport. It should bring a new wave of excitement, Turbos Vs Blowers and maybe bring about a more competetive spirit from the spectators.
a few of the blower guys in the US are kicking up a bit of storm. i don't think anyone thought the turbo cars would go so good

i personally believe we need a class like this for V8 turbo's i can count on 1 hand how many V8 turbo cars in Australia run under 7-seconds let alone 6-sec. in the US because they have a classes for V8 turbo's etc u will find 100's of 6-sec turbo V8's. there is no class for the turbo V8 guys here to race in apart from Group 3 Super Sedan and Group 2 Competition Eliminator which is Index racing and u get weight penalties.

drag racing especially in NSW is going downhill, more people turn up at burnout events
Old 23-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
v gate

maybe in a few years. i just dont think that in aust anyone could roll up right now and be in the fight with any real chance of winning. that being said i personally dont think it would take that long with the right amount of money and car/crew. also id like to see at least 3 or 4 cars that can be competitive (rather than 6 half arsed attempts). if done well it could be good racing.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

If it's regulated, why not. How ever you get down 400m strapped to a missile is your choice.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I can't see any downside to it bring it on, it could even hot up the action with some healthy rivalry.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I voted yes. BUT, if they allow turbos, then they should probably revisit the whole induction/cubes/weight equations again. ie they limit overdrive depending on type of blower.

How would they do that with turbos? Limit the impeller housing sizes?

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
v gate

then if you let turbo guy's in the NOS guy's want in to. if that happend then they may aswell just throw on some 10.5 tubes and really make them work for their pittance.
Old 24-02-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I voted yes. BUT, if they allow turbos, then they should probably revisit the whole induction/cubes/weight equations again. ie they limit overdrive depending on type of blower.

How would they do that with turbos? Limit the impeller housing sizes?
in the NHRA the Pro Mod cars are limited to running 2 x 94mm turbo's. Brad used to run 91mm's just so the blower boy's wouldn't kick up too much trouble. 2 94mm turbo's produces just as much power as what they produce with O/D limits etc.

v-gate, Rob Campisi runs a 6.2@237 in his turbo Mustang here in Australia and it runs it consistently, it would be quick enough to qualify at most meets. it is however 100ci more than allowed

like u said noone here would be competitive yet, but it gives people a chance. if u have a class too race in people spend the money. you just need to look at the Sport Compact class with 6-cylinders and Rotaries, people are going out spending $200k+ on a 6-cyl and Rotary to compete in this Group 2 class. now u say, yes we will allow turbo cars to run in Top Doorslammer, within 2 to 3 years i bet their would be a good 2 or 3 competitive turbo cars. drag racing has changed in the last 10 years, it's now a business to alot of people they look at it like ''why spend $200k on a car when i will only get to race it in a Group 3 class'' a Group 1 class will give them more exposure, TV time etc, something u don't get in Group 3.
Old 24-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
v gate

that sport compact deal is just plain shady to watch at the moment. the gap between no1 and no 8 qualifiers is just to big and there just isn't many races that are side by side.
if someone could get a true national 10.5 class going i honestly think that will be the future class for turbo/cent/nos and roots type motors.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate
that sport compact deal is just plain shady to watch at the moment. the gap between no1 and no 8 qualifiers is just to big and there just isn't many races that are side by side.
if someone could get a true national 10.5 class going i honestly think that will be the future class for turbo/cent/nos and roots type motors.
at meets like Jamboree it is alot closer, that is the premier event for the Sport Compact guys. the Top 7 or 8 cars are within half a second of each other which is still a big gap but anyone could win on the day. alot of them don't attend ANDRA events.

APSA has an Outlaw 10.5 class which has seen Top DoorSlammer and Sport Compact cars attend. the crowds they have been getting at places like Calder (15,000) and Willowbank (4000-5000, with $10,500 1st prize for the fastest) these crowds are bigger than u see at Sydney events which has Top Fuel etc. also racers attending has been phenomenal with packed classes. APSA is having a Sydney event May 14th & 15th at Sydney Dragway (WSID) would be good to see a huge crowd come out and support it. i know the boys that run the APSA and these are guys that do it for the love of the sport not because of the almighty $.

ultimately it's Group 1 ANDRA which get's the bulk of the attention and prime time TV coverage, they have been looking at giving Sport Compact guys a Group 1 class called PRO-FX, which is good as most of these cars run 6.4-6.5 second passes. but the potential of a Turbo V8 is up around Top DoorSlammer times, wouldn't be fair to put 8's up against 6's and Rotaries.

Last edited by prasac; 24-02-2011 at 10:26 AM.