Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Oh come on, because when you were on your P's you never once modified your car outside of what was legal? Its not like his dropping his pipes etc..its a bloody intake setup. Enough of the brown nosing please, we all know that you have some jihad for modifying cars. With your theory you are against everyone here with a tune?

My advice was do it if you want to, his car is already "illegal" (quick shoot him), keep the stock stuff laying about if he ever has an issue. Dont drive like a stooge and you wont get in any bother, be prepared to cop it when the situation arises.

We all know the game we play and if you modify a car without thinking of the consequences then thats the individuals problem. We are all capable of making a decision, you dont need a bunch of strangers on the internet to conclude your path.

Honestly, 90% of the cars on this site would be "illegal" in some way or form.
So what is your personal experience and knowledge of the Traffic branch officers' attitudes and methodologies in Hervey Bay QLD? (the city in which both willo and I live and drive)

You know if this thread was about driving with a BAC of 0.06 which seems to be perfectly safe just about everywhere except Australia you would be going off like a pork chop about danger and getting caught....

And I am quite sure more than 90% of members have driven over the limit at least once...
Old 29-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #62
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So what is your personal experience and knowledge of the Traffic branch officers' attitudes and methodologies in Hervey Bay QLD? (the city in which both willo and I live and drive)

You know if this thread was about driving with a BAC of 0.06 which seems to be perfectly safe just about everywhere except Australia you would be going off like a pork chop about danger and getting caught....

And I am quite sure more than 90% of members have driven over the limit at least once...
Do you think I care? He asked about the intake on his car, if he wanted a lecture about the legalities he would have asked his Grandma.

Im not telling him what he should do, his a big boy now, can type and everything; his able to make his own decision.

Dont even bring that tangent into it, modding an intake of a car VS flaunting a law that is far more serious and can potentially land the kid in jail...come on. The only thing the webbers will do is upset some hippies.

/care in this thread, lighten up guys, he asked a really simple question.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #63
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you think I care? He asked about the intake on his car, if he wanted a lecture about the legalities he would have asked his Grandma.

Im not telling him what he should do, his a big boy now, can type and everything; his able to make his own decision.

Dont even bring that tangent into it, modding an intake of a car VS flaunting a law that is far more serious and can potentially land the kid in jail...come on. The only thing the webbers will do is upset some hippies.

/care in this thread, lighten up guys, he asked a really simple question.
Seriously.. pretty ordinary attitude... i though Forum communities were about providing quality help and advice while understanding the different situations involved......

Old 29-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #64
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

To answer willos question IMOO, Muscles are carbied, simple. As for ADR27a, well, erm, im not going to condone making your car "defective". As much a joke as it is...
Old 29-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #65
jlef5

I'm going to not dance about the question at hand of in your opion is a muscle car carby feed or efi. To me a muscle car, a true muscle car is carby feed. I would give my left nut for a Hk monaro with 327 Chev quad webbers. Yes an efi would give better fuel economy, but you want fuel economy get a prius, you want absolute speed get a skyline or some turboed japcrap. If you want a muscle car it deserves to be carby feed, rough at idle, uses too much fuel, but when you hear it you just go holy f u x k that sounds good, feels awesome to drive and stick the boot in you get a horn you could hang a cold towel on.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #66
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A muscle car is a car that makes its power through sheer mechanical might. Why else would it be called a muscle car? That's why any contemporary V8 can still be considered a muscle car (ever heard the phrase "modern muscle"?). Sure they might have the modern-day electronic smarts, but they're still making all their power with brute strength and overwhelming size.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #67
max_torq
From the Futura

A fully rebuilt 351 with a thermoquad will easily pass ADR27a. Like most projects these things take time; by the time it is built and installed you'll be legal to run it. The 250 is a bit of a sows ear and not really worth the effort required to get decent power from it, just run it in the short term as is. The older engines are more fun to play with and interchangeable. The fuel injection motor can easily turn into a hassle with new fuel lines, tank and electric pumps, etc. Putting triple carbs on the FG motor could be a cool thing, though.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #68
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Seriously.. pretty ordinary attitude... i though Forum communities were about providing quality help and advice while understanding the different situations involved......
no its about arguing on the internet. clearly, you have been misinformed.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 30-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #69
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
we all know that you have some jihad for modifying cars.

.. I enjoyed that bit.

As for the original Post im a big fan of Retro Fitting new into Old so a FG 4.0L I6 would be my pick.

Last edited by FPV8U; 30-01-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #70
jlef5

Ever heard of the muscle car scar that came in about 73 when the aus government basically said to the big 3 at the time to stop making the supercars or else we'll stop buying your companys car. I'm only 22 so sorry if im out by years or facts. Muscle cars were before that for austalian cars , hgs for holdens the chargers for valiant and the mighty phase 3 for fords. If you couldn't tell I'm into anything that's cool brand means little to me. There is nothing that's modern muscle unless you go to the states. For the mustangs ands the car from ncis la. No Australian modern car is a muscle car. When was the last time a good two door coupe made by australia. Xc for ford and Hg for Holden.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #71
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
no its about arguing on the internet. clearly, you have been misinformed.
seconded, the useful information in this thread would boil down to 4 or 5 posts.
Trolling around the forum and having a go at every young bloke seems to be the accepted thing amongst some here...
But only if you're a donating member!
as already mentioned, he can do as he likes. Most police won't know that emissions adr's apply to xc's... honestly you'd be lucky if one even recognised it as a falcon. And if they do as already said, just change the carbs back over take it over the pits and do it all again!
Harping on to some stranger about how their car needs to remain perfectly stock is pretty useless, particularly on a car forum.

Back to the matter at hand, triples would be fantastic, but in your situation I don't think they would be particularly practical. If you're already having issues paying the fuel bill it's only going to go downhill very fast. Economy wise you'd be better just changing to a smaller carb. But if you're looking for all out power the new 6 would be better, but will be a big job setting up. And you'll need all the cats and junk that go along with it.
Who really cares what anyone else thinks is a muscle car? I would never ask on this forum either, as muscle cars are predominantly an american car thing.
Its what you want out of the car and what fits with the overall theme. I don't think a tasteful efi setup would look out of place at all in your ute, its already got some retrotech styling cues about it.
Old 30-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #72
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Well in regards to the OP's question, I am going to take it in a slightly different direction. I think the definition has changed. I think in what we know as the "muscle car era" ie 1960's and 70's they are the original muscle car. But over the last 40-50 years we have seen some awesome cars being made that do have muscle. We still loosely call something with a big engine and some grunt a muscle car because we dont have a new phrase that covers the more modern stuff.

Maybe its time to update the urban dictionary

IMHO, fuel types are not important these days, induction method is also unimportant. Its all about presence and grunt.

How do you classify the Buick Grand National? almost right era (78-83), big power, fast, but turbo.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

Old 30-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #73
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI

IMHO, fuel types are not important these days, induction method is also unimportant. Its all about presence and grunt.

Agreed - also, fuel injection does have a history pre 1980, even if it is mechanical.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #74
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think by now any 3 year old would know the ill effects of modifying a car
Yippie for the interweb
But it seems that near every car on the road is modified or altered from 100% ala factory,so that doesnt wash
Those that argue the point,never modified anything have we ???

If its modded you run the guantlet,end of story
Apprentice whom worked with me years ago,though he was beyond the law regarding modding his car
Was a fairly largish township
Whenever his car hit the streets it was pulled over,even after a 9 month absence
Full inspection or full car strip outs searching for drugs or whatever the reason
Solicitors were involved,letters to the commisioner ect
Got to the point whenever it was pulled over,mate told everyone to get out then locked the car,and told police nothin was to be touched until a solicitor was notified and reasons given for the inspection
The only way ol mate got over this,was sell his car
To date he has never been pulled over in his new wheels
Dont upset the constablry or givem any reasons and all will be better
Once you are in their sights ,they wont stop harassing you

As for whats classed as muscle or not,maybe another thread
Old 30-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #75
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ya head must be stuck up ya bum if you think nothing new aint got muscles......
Old 30-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #76
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

I think an injected engine easily meets the criteria of "muscle"..... to me a muscle car is defined by the body, the year or era of the car itself....... the old plastic bumpers vs chrome ones deal.

I would not call my AU a "muscle car" in the true sence of the word, yet if you stuck the powertrain under the bonnet of an XB Coupe and took someone around the block with it, the passenger (even knowing it was an injected DOHC Modular engine) would 100% commit it to muscle car status..... right after he pulled his knickers out of his shorts.

Daniel
Old 30-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #77
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
seconded, the useful information in this thread would boil down to 4 or 5 posts.
Trolling around the forum and having a go at every young bloke seems to be the accepted thing amongst some here...
But only if you're a donating member!
It seems trolling by your definition is a post you don't agree with.
All I have seen in here is constructive advice on said modifications and the legalities involved.

It seems "every young bloke" that posts up wanting to turbo this and supercharge that is after nothing more than a high five and pat on the back.

In the real world everyone can do as they like then wear the consequences of their decision, at least asking here gives enough food for thought to possibly stop them going down the wrong track if they choose to.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #78
T3man
Banned

No matter how you try to define it there will be exceptions and objections.

If you want to go by body then the original American muscle cars were all 2-doors.

You can broaden the description any which way to include cars that we all easily recognize as "muscle".

Regardless what anyone else may think, I class my T3 as a "muscle" car albeit a modern day iteration. No-one who has ever ridden it it has disagreed - after an underwear change!

To me, in the braodest sense, "muscle" simply means an overtly powerful engine in an otherwise relatively mundane base vehicle. However, the original "muscle cars" were those in the US between mid 60s to mid 70s and we know what they all are.
Old 30-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #79
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Closed Thread