Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

Default Steering Wheel Won't Turn!!!

hey guys
I turned on my car last night and tried turning the steering wheel and the wheel hardly moved, maybe moved an inch or so :(
any ideas on what the problem could be?

The New: FG XR6 Turbo in Dash:Sunroof, Custom Exhaust with Quad 3.5" Tips, Xr8 Bonnet, 20"GT Rims, Lowered on SSSL & SSL King Springs. Growler Intake, 30% Tint, Viper 2 Way Alarm, Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlights&Foggies

The Old AU Series III Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Leather, Prem Sound, Lowered On SSSL+SSL King Springs,Tint,19" BF Super Pursuit Rims, 6000K HID's, 2.5 Inch Exhaust+Twin Tips. Fairlane Chrome Mirrors.
System:Alpine Dvd Player, 2x12" Alpine TyreR Subs, Pioneer Mono Amp.
DashXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

sounds like your steering shaft is stripped where the column joins the rack.. or it could be loose. also check the bolts where the column come through the firewall as they could've come loose or that join is stripped
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

power steering pump could have seized... was it just really heavy, or full stuck?

may have come off the rack as mentioned above.
Old 22-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

really heavy. only moves a tad. cant drive it..
The New: FG XR6 Turbo in Dash:Sunroof, Custom Exhaust with Quad 3.5" Tips, Xr8 Bonnet, 20"GT Rims, Lowered on SSSL & SSL King Springs. Growler Intake, 30% Tint, Viper 2 Way Alarm, Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlights&Foggies

The Old AU Series III Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Leather, Prem Sound, Lowered On SSSL+SSL King Springs,Tint,19" BF Super Pursuit Rims, 6000K HID's, 2.5 Inch Exhaust+Twin Tips. Fairlane Chrome Mirrors.
Old 22-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

when a p/steering pump dies, its heavier than a vehicle that was naturally equipped without p/steer... try jacking the front up and see if you can get full lock that way... it will at least narrow your problems down.
Old 22-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

turned the car on again.. wheel turns. topped up power steering fluid because it was making bad noises as I was turning and seems ok for now but I think power steering is leaking, will take to mechanics tommorow. thank god it doesnt seem to be a big problem.

thanks for the help guys

Old 22-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP-GHIA
turned the car on again.. wheel turns. topped up power steering fluid because it was making bad noises as I was turning and seems ok for now but I think power steering is leaking, will take to mechanics tommorow. thank god it doesnt seem to be a big problem.

thanks for the help guys
If you're in Melbourne and anywhere near Coburg, I got a reco rack fitted to my wagon today for $300, including wheel alignment.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP-GHIA

thanks for the help guys
Dont go to ford to do that. They gave me a new pump and everything.. cost me over $350.. inc. labour

then i saw p/steering pumps on ebay for $80 (not sure wat they are like..)

but yea.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #9
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

reco racks are as good as new racks ... identical.
Old 23-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

GK I am in Melbourne. That sounds like a good price.

Nah not taking it to Ford, dont think I ever will.

When I take it to my own mechanic il find out the problem then.