Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Jetstar $9 fares

Jetsatar have fares from $9 all over Australia plus $30 for goverment charges and tax...If you want to have a look www.jetstar.com.au
4 days only

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 16-01-2005 at 02:46 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
kooky
WRX terrorist

Yep, friend got return flights Melbourne to Sunshine coast $119 including taxes.
Old 16-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
XRQTOR
Banned

Hmmm very tempting, would be cool to head off to the gold coast for the weekend.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see Jetstar coming out with these low fairs every once in a while, but you have to wonder if it is Qantas' way of killing off Virgin.
Old 16-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv619
Good to see Jetstar coming out with these low fairs every once in a while, but you have to wonder if it is Qantas' way of killing off Virgin.
They have to be losing an absolute crap load if they are. they'd be losing their own business aswell as operating at loss.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
NZ
~~~

Yeah but in the big scheme of things its a small price to pay to push out a competitor. Air New Zealand did it a few years ago. A cut price no frills airline set up everyone loved it, freedom air set up, undercut them, they could because they had the money of the parent company behind them, the other one had to fold. I cant even remember its name now.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't fly jetcrap even if it was free http://shannonc.blogs.com/shannonsay...antas_sha.html
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 02:57 AM   #8
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Just nasty cheap travel.
Most of their discount fares are one way & then you pay full on the way back.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 03:30 AM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Just nasty cheap travel.
Most of their discount fares are one way & then you pay full on the way back.
my daughter found $19 melb to gold coast and $79 gold coast to melb not bad for $100..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
Dodge
i like to be stroked

and when the plane comes crashing down because the maintenance was not done ? i cant see how discounted air fares work, but then i did pay 700 dollars once sydney to brisbane onw way because i had a emergency and thats how qantas help u by stingn ur wallet like there is no tomorrow.
Old 17-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

why are you people sooking about jetstar?

I was in tassie over the new years break..with jetstar I paid $350 return (I booked late). But when I was there I wanted to stay another two days. I called jetstar and they said that I would have to pay another $120. I thought that was bad untill I checked QANTAS's flights. For a ONE WAY ticket it was $500! For one bloody way, for 1 hour I dont think so!

Ok granted it was over the break so prices go up, but serious, what idiot would pay that kind of money from tassie to melb?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
i cant see how discounted air fares work.
I'm pretty sure the model is simply to gear the flights. Basically, if they sell every seat on the plane then they make their 'x' dollar profit. If there's many spares then they probably run a loss. Quantas have a critical mass for a flight to be profitable but this is much lower - meaning they can have a few empty seats and still make a buck... but if they fill the plane then it becomes VERY profitable. I often wind up on a late quantas flight with 3 seats to myself.... it rocks!!!
Old 17-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv619
You really think that Jetstar's gunna take out the "Rebel Billionaire"!

If any body's gunna take out airlines it will be Virgin taking them out. I think you will find that virgins response by price matching jetstars low fares is virgins way of getting rid of jetstar. Virgin has already taken a massive amount of market share from Qantas, and its Qantas struggling to keep up with virgin not the other way around.

Sir Richard is a lot,lot ,lot bigger than Qantas
Old 21-01-2005, 01:27 AM   #14
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Virgin are in deep shit, so I read in the paper today. They have too many aircraft at the moment and struggle to fill 3/4 of the things.

Jetstar employ all sorts of cost cutting tactics, one for instance is remote pushback where any bloke drives the plane backwards using a remote control tug. I have mates here at Qantas (Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers) that get paid 100k a year to do similar shit lol. Walk the aircraft back, make sure nothing goes wrong during engine starts, say see ya later to the pilots.

Jet Star run new aircraft (well the A320's are new, 717's arent that old) that dont cost much to maintain at the moment. Just like Virgin did when they first bought their 737-800's. Jet Star dont pay their hostie's as much, their ground crew as much, their management as much, or their engineers as much. Same applies with Virgin

Jetstar was created to cash in on some of the success of Virgin, this aint no secret. Qantas will remain as offering the only upmarket service for domestic travel, but you pay for it. Having said that, i did manage to get a friend of mine from brissy to sydney for 200 return the other week, which wasnt too paid. I, of course, pay much much less than that lol.

Just watch Virgin's profit forecasts in the next couple of years, as some of their aircraft will be requiring heavy maintenance shortly and they surely are going to have to outsource it. Probably to some third world country who do a only reasonable job for bottom dollar....but even then, heavy maintenance is expensive.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #15
shane3
FPV GT 0915

It all comes down to quality of service, my wife has flown with jetstar and has vowed NEVER to fly with them again, Virgin was ok at least the flight crew were good looking and new what they were doing, but the best so far is Qantas, customer service, food and quality of the plane were great
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #16
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

I love Jetstar.. who needs all the extras, you're just using it as a means to a destination. Having the new Avalon airport so close is wonderful, Mark sometimes flies to Sydney for work and he can commute there from our place in less time than it takes him to commute to his office in Melbourne!

As with anything, competition is GOOD. There is an alternative for those who want the extras, it just costs more.

Being in the tourism industry I can also report that Jetstar and Virgin have had a direct positive impact on business. People fly, people stay, people visit, people spend money.. fantastic for local economies. The first week Jetstar flew in locally, the Ford Discovery Centre recorded an increase in visitors (which has continued) and many of those asked mentioned they were filling in time before they caught their flight from Avalon.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I absolutely agree with flic on this one. Lets keep in mind that max you are going to be in a plane in Aus is around 4 hours anyway. If you cant deal with that then fine, pay the premium and fly qantas. But for a little trip like that you have rocks in your head paying and extra 200 odd dollars for the same end result.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #18
marcuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_blue_xr6
You really think that Jetstar's gunna take out the "Rebel Billionaire"!

If any body's gunna take out airlines it will be Virgin taking them out. I think you will find that virgins response by price matching jetstars low fares is virgins way of getting rid of jetstar. Virgin has already taken a massive amount of market share from Qantas, and its Qantas struggling to keep up with virgin not the other way around.

Sir Richard is a lot,lot ,lot bigger than Qantas
The rebel billionaire is a snake. A company I used to work for was contracted to do maintenance on his Virgin Atlantic fleet and I can assure you they are the biggest bunch of penny pinchers around. The only thing they wanted to spend money on was inside the cabin on cosmetic items i.e. if the customer can't see it then we don't care. Virgin Blue is a little different in its structure as it flys new aircraft but things are not looking good when the CEO sells 25% of his shares 1 month before downgrading the profit forecast. Branson probably doesn't give a rats because he has already sold the bulk of his shares.
If you think Virgin will squeeze either Qantas or Jetstar out of the market then think again. Qantas will announce a close to $1 billion profit while Virgin downgrades. Virgin is getting fatter every day and can't sell enough seats.But hey, at least the hosties are good looking.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 05:05 AM   #19
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuss
Qantas will announce a close to $1 billion profit while Virgin downgrades. Virgin is getting fatter every day and can't sell enough seats.But hey, at least the hosties are good looking.
Yes, seems Geoff Dixon is a great business man, if not the worlds biggest penny pinching ******** (but hey, all good business men are)

And yes, Virgin have the best hosties. When they retire, they join Qantas

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #20
marcuss

That hot hostie serving you that meal is the same one who cleaned the toilet you just ****ed in. Thats penny pinching gone too far, but business is business I suppose.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post