Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Brake fluid recommendation?

Hey all,,

AUII XR with abs,, what brake fluid does everyone use. Whats the best out there!?? I know the book says dot4 but its got abs i thought that it may be different.

xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
LOWAU

I have heard that dot5.1 is one of the best, don't know about brands.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A racing type fluid would only be you next major step up for performance, it would have a higher boiling point. Otherwise any brand name DOT4 fluid will be providing the performance you need. I have been told there is only one brake fluid manufacturer in Oz, I don't know if it is true, but if it is, it seems b/fluid is b/fluid.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"LOW AU" Motul which is a very reputable oil company from France makes DOT5.1. I just talked to my mate who works at brakes plus and he reckons use the DOT5.1

"Motul is a preety kick A$$ oil to, very popular with jap turbos etc. Just throws me off how the book says DOT4 and someone else tells me DOT5.1. i really dont wanna use the wrong thing.
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

DOT 4 is just a slightly older specification/recommendation .... at the time your car was built, DOT 4 was probably the best brake fluid on the market at the time.

As time has moved on ... they get better (much like engine oil) ... and the grading rises as well to meet current day performance expectations.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post