Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Exclamation Casuual (Labouring) vs Full Time/Part Time Work

hey guys, just wondering who prefers Casual then Full Time/Part Time work, in my earlier thread i was a little annoyed after what happened to my last job but since then i have registered to about 5 Employment Places and now finally got work coming out from everywhere , my question is?, would you work casual temp or work Full Time, I prefer Casual to be honest every since my job History screed up because me leaving Woolworths Bad mistake
, ive been apping for Job after job and getting no-where because this Job market is so very annoying , tried my old job constantly and getting nowhere since they scrwed me over by Saying DO NOT RE-HIRE on my exit interview which i was so annoyed at , anyway started registering for these employment places, getting more calls work than i worked as Full timer, only bad thing there is no annual leave days off, but i don't take days off,

What do you guys Think?

Old 22-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've been in my current job for 12 months, 9 months of which have been fulltime. Honestly I prefer fulltime. At my employer, we have been flat out for about the past year but suddenly it's gone quiet. The company has had to lay off employees left, right and centre. This of course is the casuals. Being fulltime, I have job security. I know it's going to pick up again in which case they'll have to hire more casuals. Building up annual leave is nice too.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Kryton

Ill keep my full time job over casual any day of the week.
I know when im working, i know what im going to get paid, i know how many weeks annual leave i get and i can do O/T whenever i want.

While casual pay may be good, knowing that you have job security is more important.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They both have good and bad points,its really up to an individual and circumstances which is better
My last job i was there 14 years full time unlimited O/T
The boss was nearly belly up and was saved on the 24th hour
If he wasnt saved ,all the staff would have lost everything (long service,super contributions,ect,ect)
Being fulltime in that instance would not have helped
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
g220ba
FGX XR8

I'd strongly prefer full-time mainly for job security and benefits.

I've tried both for various preiods of time and unless i absolutely have to i'll never go back to casual.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Full time for me. Easier when its tax time, job security, easier to obtain finance for larger investments like houses. Usually when you work full-time for a larger organisation there will be some sort of employee agreement outlining pay, leave, sickies, long service, redundancy...etc so its good to know where you stand between yourself and your employer when full-time.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

no comtest . fulltime = a real job , where you can live like you percieve . in other words buy a home and call it yours . try doing that as a casual , try getting sick when your a casual ? try booking holidays when your a casual, try industrial relations when your a casual, try having a bad day at work when your a casual ? starting to see the patternm forming here ? ask your boss if he prefers you to ba a casual = GUES WHAT HIS REPLY WILL BE ? guess what the bank would prefer you to be ?
see the pattern ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
xy500
Constant annoyance

another for full time, some employers will use casual contracts just so they can save money in the quiet periods by giving casuals less or no work.
I'm only a few months into my first full time position, and looking forward to payed holidays!
Old 22-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
no comtest . fulltime = a real job , where you can live like you percieve . in other words buy a home and call it yours . try doing that as a casual , try getting sick when your a casual ? try booking holidays when your a casual, try industrial relations when your a casual, try having a bad day at work when your a casual ? starting to see the patternm forming here ? ask your boss if he prefers you to ba a casual = GUES WHAT HIS REPLY WILL BE ? guess what the bank would prefer you to be ?
see the pattern ?
Exactly!
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Full time. Easily, full time. I know when I'm working, I've got my base salary, and potential financial incentives. That, and theres potential for growth, education and advancement in the company. And I could relocate to any part of the country and successful find some form of work within the company.

That and little things like knowing you've got a steady pay check, the option of saving money and being able to live life without the stress of thinking about where and when money is coming into the household.

And I think long term full time employment would make it a lot easier to apply for loans.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fulltime,has it benefits definately
But the neighbour and his son are roofing on a contract bases
They are earining way way way more than roofers on wages
They dont have any issues what so ever
They earn enuf that borrowing money is not an issue
They earn enuf to near take 6 months of a year and still life very comfortable
Only downside is weather
They work like trojans 7 days a week while the demand is their,have a break when the weather goes bad
Comparing this (these guys are earning 1,000s and 1,000s a week)
To the average worker who gets under 1k(or even 500)a week is not a fair comparison
Hence why i said depending on the individuals situation

Security of full time,
Is only as good as a couple weeks pay and your send on your way
Seen it happen
Some people prefer to be on casual rate ,(it pays more)
Then theres contracts ( 6 -12 months )ect
Even some employers go the casual route
Theres even something where you work 40 hours a week with no benefits
(casual fulltime ,i think its classed)
Yep no benefits
No holidays,nothing towards long service,40 hours work for 40 hours pay
Old 23-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
I prefer Casual to be honest every since my job History screed up because me leaving Woolworths Bad mistake
You have answered your on question really but you will need to figure out what works (pun intended) for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
see the pattern ?
+ another

Personally I would always seek the security of a permanent full time position over a casual job even if the short term benefits do out way the permanent full time job. But for long term plans you will need a more permanent solution.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
You have answered your on question really but you will need to figure out what works (pun intended) for you.+ another

Bud Bud
Well at the moment Causal , as i have gone through so much interviews and unable get past their interview stage and being so much a tough market out there right now, i will hopefully get a full time job in the near future but at least i have work, i was driving myself crazy going to interview to interview and not getting past them.
Old 23-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Fulltime,has it benefits definately
But the neighbour and his son are roofing on a contract bases
They are earining way way way more than roofers on wages
They dont have any issues what so ever
They earn enuf that borrowing money is not an issue
They earn enuf to near take 6 months of a year and still life very comfortable
Only downside is weather
They work like trojans 7 days a week while the demand is their,have a break when the weather goes bad
Comparing this (these guys are earning 1,000s and 1,000s a week)
To the average worker who gets under 1k(or even 500)a week is not a fair comparison
Hence why i said depending on the individuals situation

Security of full time,
Is only as good as a couple weeks pay and your send on your way
Seen it happen
Some people prefer to be on casual rate ,(it pays more)
Then theres contracts ( 6 -12 months )ect
Even some employers go the casual route
Theres even something where you work 40 hours a week with no benefits
(casual fulltime ,i think its classed)
Yep no benefits
No holidays,nothing towards long service,40 hours work for 40 hours pay
contractors are a whole different ballgame. Severance packages will vary depending on how long you have been full time. I'd like to see you get long service leave from a casual contract.
Old 23-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Long service leave
Seriously how many people are employed on permanant fulltime bases with same employer for 10 years ???
Old 23-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Long service leave
Seriously how many people are employed on permanant fulltime bases with same employer for 10 years ???
ME . 18 years and counting . to put it in perspective i've been paying a mortgage for 17 years too , with some years to go as yet .
i'm only 41 , but when i entered the job market at 16 . everyone was full time , and that was considered a good thing .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Long service leave

Well almost, Up to 8yrs now..
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
xr8-200

I dont know your situation, but casual work is better than no work.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-200
I dont know your situation, but casual work is better than no work.
Agreed
Old 23-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Long service leave
30 years and have all the long service !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #21
jason71
google is my friend

20 years and counting here.

8 months of long service leave accumulated.

Just over 1000hrs of sick leave available, that's after being off work for 3 months last year with a broken wrist.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Casual workers get more money per hour to cover holidays/sick leave etc etc.

However fulltime is more beneficial in the long run.

As for long service. I went 8 years in the same tyre company (an industry known for staff turnover) before I called it quits. Change of ownership saw me leave otherwise I would have stayed longer. Oh and long service leave is 10 years minimum, with a top of 15, unlike state award which is 7 years with a top of 10

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #23
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of you guys with accumulated sick leave hours,wow your lucky
Some employers nowadays dont let any hours roll over to the next year
Use them in that year or loose them
Although there are a small hand full in this thread with long employment duration,im wondering if a poll was initiated how the cards would stack ???
Old 24-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
kermey

Just incase people dont know this but you can get long service leave if your casual and work in the construction industry.

http://www.lslboard.com.au/

I know this is for WA but i was told there is the same setup in each state and that you can transfer your time if you change states for work.

To answer the OP's question, I dont know whats better for you mate but for me casual is the way to go.

Good luck in finding something you like.

Cheers
kermey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #25
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done both and each has been good for me, but at the end of the day fulltime work is best for my sanity and the wifes.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Sick leave is capped at a certain number of days. (Not sure of the number). Those sick days are surposed to be carried over to the next year, however they can't be added to after a certain amount have been accured, and can't be claimed upon once you leave the employer. If an employer refuses to carry over those sick days into the next year, the employer is in the deep end.

So 302 XC. If you are in this situation, the workplace ombudsman would love to hear about it. Or anyone else for that matter. It's simply against the law to do it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post