Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #31
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I've got 5 x suggestions... and here they are... all $5000.00 and all i would seriously consider buying if it was me...

1) EF XR6 Wagon
Link
Just sold my XR6 wagon - and if it was manual - I would have never EVER sold it!!
This one even has EL front (IMHO looks better)...

2) EL XR6 Sedan
Link
Great Colour, good looking, good on fuel, plenty of go if thats what you want... also its the LAST of the ELs (1998)

3)EB XR8S
Link
Future Collectable? Maybe not - but great car - bulletproof (i've had 2 x EBs, and I'd have another tomorrow if I was shopping with $5000.00)

4)EF Fairmont
Link
Luxo inside, pretty easy on the eye... way better than futura/gli

5) AU Fairmont
Link
Again, nice and comfy... could do worse for $5000.00

There's my tips... all a little bigger than what you are used to...
But - something different...
(hey - what did you expect - this is a Ford Forum!!)

Hmmm I like the EBXR8 Manual too! fair few kms tho how many they good for? The ELXR6 is nice too very clean might have to look at these cars.
Old 15-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #32
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you go camry dont go near a v6 model,(worst engines ever),
All the following cars would give good service and go well too-Holden barina,toyota corolla. any model Hyundai around 2003 to 2006 )will be good also. main thing is with any 4cyl is that timing belt has been done at correct times.remember all the Hyundai's use Mitsubishi copy galant type engines from models around 4 years earlier, so tend to have lots of power and good economy too as well as being fairly easy to work on and they vastly improved build quality after 2001.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #33
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Well I bought a car yesterday went a little over my budget but I couldnt pass it up as I used to have one and sold it. See here http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=9405359&keywords=&trecs=4&__Ns =pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=1297 43377137&__Nne=15&__Qpb=true&seot=1&__N=1216 1282 4294966608 4294965340&silo=1011

The ute is so clean I couldnt believe it! pick it up in a couple of weeks so will get some pics up...
Old 17-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #34
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it! looks to be in excellent nick. Congratulations, enjoy it.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #35
Dan_1987

Default scratch that..

sorry, i was about to make another suggestion but i JUST realised you already bought a car.

good luck with your new car mate, i hope it turns out well for you.

Last edited by Dan_1987; 18-10-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Its no longer relevant.
Dan_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #36
HLC
Audi S3

Toyota Starlet, around1997 model.

My gf had one before she bought her XR4, and i loved driving it around. put a HUGE cannon on it, with the 5spd was great. topped out at 130, but was still pulling when it got there!

i genuinely miss it. cost nothing to run, and took all we threw at it.
Old 18-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #37
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose I am still a bit biased. I have my doubts about the longevity of small 4 cylinders that have been worked hard for 150k+, and I’m a sucker for LPG. Doing 500km a week? For me that would be a no brainer. Pick up a big Ford for around $2k, and spend $3k on a basic mixer system. Depending on your work requirements, you could even go with a ute.
You might be a bit more in EF/L territory, but depending on how much you leave for the gas system, you might be able to find an AU…
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #38
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
I like it! looks to be in excellent nick. Congratulations, enjoy it.
It is mate not a scratch on it I pick it up in a couple of weeks so I will get some better pics up. Wonder if I can fit a 5.0 S/C in there?
Old 18-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah thats awesome, nice work.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #40
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
if you go camry dont go near a v6 model,(worst engines ever),
Not true. 1MZ-FE is a fantastic engine, its the fact that it's in a Camry is the problem with it.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #41
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
Not true. 1MZ-FE is a fantastic engine, its the fact that it's in a Camry is the problem with it.
If its anything like the current 3.5 litre lump in tne Aurion just hook a decent trailer up to it and see what a total lemon it becomes .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #42
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Haven't had a drive in an Aurion as of yet, and haven't seen nor played with a 2GR-FE yet, but there's nothing wrong with toyota motors, its their obsession with putting them in heavy FWD shyteboxes that's the issue.

A mate of mine has a 1MZ-FE in a sw20 mr2, with a big single hanging off it - absolutely insane car. When the engine was in its standard form in the back of the mr2 it was still a great car.

It's just a shame that Toyota hasn't made a really decent RWD since the end of the 90's.

Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post