Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Exclamation Airbag / Restraint Warning

Hi all.

I've noticed when driving my XR recently, that at times the airbag / restraint light is coming up on the dash.

It seems to be intermittent, usually turning the car off and restarting eliminates the problem, but I'm still stumped.

It flashes 5 times, turns off, and repeats this procedure another 4 or 5 times, Then the light just stays on, and won't dissapear till you restart.

I'm thinking some sort of sensor issue, because it only occurs every now and then.

Any ideas?

Cheers...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

I vaguely remember that happening to a mates AU.. It turned out to be the clock spring behind the airbag...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
whiskers
gone fishing

it needs looking at and quickly that is a major warning that something is wrong I would go along with what kr1sto has suggested
Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
urbancowboy

I'm pretty sure that it repeats the error code three times before it stays illuminated, correct me if im wrong but i know as mine is currently doing this.

as for flashing five times i don't know what that error code is but im pretty sure if you search it on the site you'll find the info you want, or maybe someone will get the spoon for you and feed it to you.

As for what the issue is you will have a few things that are the usual case, don't just assume its the clock spring, it is in my case since you can hear a grindy noise as the steering wheel rotates! But it could be a seat belt pretensioner, a loose or poor connection in a plug or it could even be a faulty airbag.

Don't worry the airbag won't go off in your face as you drive down the street but if you are in a crash it may not deploy!

If you just want a diagnosis take it to a Ford dealer ship or a auto elec's that can plug in a diagnosis devise, get their opinion, but don't let them fix it as you may be able to fix it yourself with the correct parts and a bit of know how.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Shanes SR did the same seems he had dislodged the wires from the seat belt pretensioner under the seat with the vacuum cleaner.. Worth a look anyways

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Shanes SR did the same seems he had dislodged the wires from the seat belt pretensioner under the seat with the vacuum cleaner.. Worth a look anyways
Absolutely!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
james22
With da Warlords

Yeah I've played with the wires under the seat, didn't appear to do anything.
Was driving it on the weekend, and the problem didn't pop up once.
Very intermittent.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
urbancowboy

Turn of the stereo and turn the wheels from lock to lock and listen for any noise coming from behind the steering wheel (clock spring, nee boss in old speak, it actually has nothing to do with the clock!), if its makes noise its worn and will need replacing
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post