Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trailer purchasing advice (10x6)

Thought i'd ask the question befor i make the plunge.

I am looking to upgrade the $350 6x5 trailer that I can lift with one hand to something a bit more substantial.

I figure a 10x6 tandem would be good (will carry up to 2,000kg) and have heaps of room. With a cage I'd be able to carry a few cows and it also seems to fit my mitsubishi mirage (soon to be track car) and I think it will fit a r31 skyline (posible furure track car). But i would mainly be using for building materials (pallets of bricks) 1 ton bags of sand etc

Any one have any thoughts on galvanised vs painted. I see alot of rusted out trailers (mine included) but if figure thats because they are left uncovered. Gal adds about $1400 to the price. (for that, I could build a shed just for the trailer)

Any one have any recomendations in sydney. I have heard unique and austrailers are probably the best to deal with. (there are some cheapies on ebay but i heard some bad reports)

does carrying a car on a box trailer seem like a bad idea (car weights of 1100kg). the load at the wheel contact points would be 275kg, is that pushing things?

any advise appriciated

steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Essentially what you're wanting then is a car trailer with box sides and a full plated floor. You will need to work out the GVM you need. Is the trailer going to be kept outside all the time? It's gonna have to be braked...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrckelley
Thought i'd ask the question befor i make the plunge.

I am looking to upgrade the $350 6x5 trailer that I can lift with one hand to something a bit more substantial.

I figure a 10x6 tandem would be good (will carry up to 2,000kg) and have heaps of room. With a cage I'd be able to carry a few cows and it also seems to fit my mitsubishi mirage (soon to be track car) and I think it will fit a r31 skyline (posible furure track car). But i would mainly be using for building materials (pallets of bricks) 1 ton bags of sand etc

Any one have any thoughts on galvanised vs painted. I see alot of rusted out trailers (mine included) but if figure thats because they are left uncovered. Gal adds about $1400 to the price. (for that, I could build a shed just for the trailer)

Any one have any recomendations in sydney. I have heard unique and austrailers are probably the best to deal with. (there are some cheapies on ebay but i heard some bad reports)

does carrying a car on a box trailer seem like a bad idea (car weights of 1100kg). the load at the wheel contact points would be 275kg, is that pushing things?

any advise appriciated
Here's my tips:

Spend a bit extra and get good quality electric brakes fitted, they beat override brakes hands down.

As for towing a car on a 10' long tandem, it can be done but getting the balance right so you do not have too much ball weight can be difficult as you don't have a lot of room to position the car on such a short trailer.

Make sure you have some good tie down points fitted so that the vehilce is well secured in case of a problem.

Oh, and make sure the towing vehicle is capable of towing the load (trailer and vehicle) as now days the rozzers love handing out fines for improper loading & overweight etc.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Sorry to hijack, but with a brand new trailer, do you have to pay stamp duty when you register it??
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

pay the money and get gal. in 20 years when you still have it you can thank me
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Go the galvanised - the Chinese steel used in trailers today lasts about 3 years even when painted. 10' is too short for towing another vehicle because as has been said you can't always position the load correctly. Electric brakes highly recommended. Assuming you plan towing with a Ford ... so make sure you get Ford hubs. Sorry, I've never bought a trailer (well I did once, but always build my own) so can't help you with dealer recommendation. Yes, stamp duty is payable.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just been fitting out a custom built trailer for a race car. While yours is somewhat dIifferent, these are the things I found:

Couldnt find a manufacturer in Sydney who could build one to my specifications. If it isnt standard, I couldnt find anyone who would give a price. Ended up ordering one from Kool Kart in Melbourne.

Specified Ford Wheels - got Holden.

Second hand tyres fitted.

Second hand jockey wheel fitted,

Designed floor height, beaver tail with interergal ramps so car wouldnt bottom out when loading. Got something else, so car wont go up ramp,

Designed and specified electical winch and battery. Wanted to use the same battery as the race car, but got supplied something differnt. Winch got fitted in the middle of the floor, rather than at the end of teh trailer, so it gets in the way.

Tie down points fitted arn't where the tyres are.

I suppose the lesson learnt is to design and specify everything, find a local manufactuer, and make sure he does what you specify and design.

Getting it built interstate, and trying to fix faults remotley does not work.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
I've just been fitting out a custom built trailer for a race car. While yours is somewhat dIifferent, these are the things I found:

Couldnt find a manufacturer in Sydney who could build one to my specifications. If it isnt standard, I couldnt find anyone who would give a price. Ended up ordering one from Kool Kart in Melbourne.

Specified Ford Wheels - got Holden.

Second hand tyres fitted.

Second hand jockey wheel fitted,

Designed floor height, beaver tail with interergal ramps so car wouldnt bottom out when loading. Got something else, so car wont go up ramp,

Designed and specified electical winch and battery. Wanted to use the same battery as the race car, but got supplied something differnt. Winch got fitted in the middle of the floor, rather than at the end of teh trailer, so it gets in the way.

Tie down points fitted arn't where the tyres are.

I suppose the lesson learnt is to design and specify everything, find a local manufactuer, and make sure he does what you specify and design.

Getting it built interstate, and trying to fix faults remotley does not work.
So what's being done to correct all these things? Incidentally, second hand tyres and wheels seems to be the standard in the trailer building industry.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, I am happy paying a bit more for a local reputable company (unique probably).

I am going to bite the bullet and go Gal ($1500 but it will last a long time - I am pretty rough with my stuff).

Point taken on the length. I am going to go 12 foot to give me a bit extra room. I cant really go car trailer because they are to low from what i have seen and I wouldnt get it 2 meters past my front gate.

Regarding tow capacity - I have the 2300kg tow pack fitted to my fg ute but its a manual so tecnically its limited to 1600kg (warranty issue with the clutches i am told) but I have a solution - an Auto gear knob when towing. I have a better clutch and take it easy so I have no concerns (its exatly the same car that can tow 2300 for any one that wants to have a cry - except the gear box ).

In terms of my track car - maybe i look into those Aussie race cars (the mini v8 super car things they race) that would fit and would be handy around the farm.
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post