Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
TheSilentMan

Default AU Falcon Audio Question

Hi,

I'm looking a getting a sub in my AU. I want to fit it up where the sub would be if I had premium sound, as standard AU's still have the hole in the parcel tray for it.

I've been told its a 10" sub that fits, although someone recently said that's wrong and it's an 8".

Someone care to help me out and let me know definitley which size it is?

Cheers

TheSilentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

do you have a tape measure?
Old 20-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
TheSilentMan

I surely do. Not having the car at my disposal doesn't give me much to measure though.
Old 20-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

defiantly 8....

i fitted a factory premo sound sub, they are over rated. you'd get better results replacing you 5x7" factory speakers with some alpines etc.

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
TheSilentMan

Great thanks, I replaced all the factory speakers with 5x7 kickers, sounds great. Not looking for anything intense loud, just nice and punchy. I also wasn't planning on fitting a factory one though. I've got an amp lying around so I was considering a sub up if I can get one for an alright price.
Old 21-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

8" free air sub is best.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
robbyj
Rob

when amping your sub to, its best to match the RMS output of the sub with an amp that matches the RMS. It just performs at its best. So if that amp you have lying around is too powerfull for the sub its best not to use it, go out an buy a small mono block.

But 8" is what your after. It might also be worth buying a pack of sound deadner and sticking it over the pastel shelf, and under. Stops any annoying rattles. well worth the money imo.

Also.. how many channels is your amp? say its a 2 channel you'll have to make sure its bridgeable to amp the sub. (it most likely will be, i have not come across an amp that wasn't bridgeable. But if its an old one make sure you check.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
adrian k
adrian

i replaced the factory sub with a 8" pioneer free air "flat sub", they are only around 90-100mm deep so don't intrude too far into the boot. the factory sub is not a free air sub and its under powered which is why they don't last.
you are better off having a higher powered amp than and underpowered amp, underpowering with result in cliping of the output and you land up with DC current into the voice coil which kills them real quick.
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

8" free air sub FTW.
I've got an 'old school' Phoenix Gold 8" sub in there, does the job fine.
Old 21-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentMan
Hi,

I'm looking a getting a sub in my AU. I want to fit it up where the sub would be if I had premium sound, as standard AU's still have the hole in the parcel tray for it.

I've been told its a 10" sub that fits, although someone recently said that's wrong and it's an 8".

Someone care to help me out and let me know definitley which size it is?

Cheers
If you've got LPG neither will fit
Old 22-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
If you've got LPG neither will fit
Theres never an excuse for not being able to fit a sub in
Old 22-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
TheSilentMan

Thanks for all the insight. No LPG so no worries there.
Old 22-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

ive got a 12" sitting in the general area of my boot in a custom box... goes alright. i dont think a 8" free to aur will give me the same amount of ghetto boot rattle that the 12" grants me lol

that being said, using quality gear and some dynamat, i reckon an 8" in the parcel shelf would sound pretty sweet. I have to say, even as crap as the premo sound stuff is, before i did my system, i always thought they sounded alright from factory.
Old 23-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
Theres never an excuse for not being able to fit a sub in
Perhaps I should have said 'wont fit in the rear parcel shelf....I cheated a little bit

Old 23-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
robbyj
Rob

Does that come through the back seat gasolane?? So when the seats up you can see the sub poking out. Cos for my next car (whenever that may be) thats the thought i had, instead of taking up boot space, mount 2 12" subs to the back seat. Id never seen it done before or heard of it.. so i thought i was a genius =p

Anyway thats nice ^^

Although i do wonder.. does cutting into the back seat count as 'Structural Damage'??
Old 23-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
Does that come through the back seat gasolane?? So when the seats up you can see the sub poking out. Cos for my next car (whenever that may be) thats the thought i had, instead of taking up boot space, mount 2 12" subs to the back seat. Id never seen it done before or heard of it.. so i thought i was a genius =p

Anyway thats nice ^^

Although i do wonder.. does cutting into the back seat count as 'Structural Damage'??
Firstly, apologies to TheSilentMan for this little thread Hijack....

I didn't exactly cut into the rear seat, just drilled a few holes through the heavy metal backing plate and the plastic cover. You don't need to join any wires, the original wires are long enough.

The hardest, and most tedious, part was getting the holes straight so it didn't look to tacky when the armrest was down.

Old 23-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
robbyj
Rob

Ah k forgot about the lanes luxury back seat cup holders =p. Nice job though.

i was thinking more along the lines of this.
(excuse my very dodgy mspaint job)

Where ya actually cut a whole in the seat to mount the sub. Seems simple in theory but i would be buying another back seat from the wreckers to play around with. Just wondering whether that would count as structural damage.. like cutting the parcel shelf does.

Also sorry about the thread hack.