FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Canberra to get point-to-point speed cameras.......in an 80kmh zone

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...a/1948302.aspx

Quote:
Point-to-point cameras come to Canberra

Point-to-point cameras come to Canberra
BY NINO BUCCI, POLICE REPORTER
22 Sep, 2010 08:41 AM
Point-to-point traffic cameras will be slugging speeding drivers in the ACT by mid-2011, with the Government expecting each system to generate more than $360,000 in fines each year.
But the cameras are also expected to save the territory as much as $11.8 billion in crash costs over the next 10 years.

The first camera will be installed on Hindmarsh Drive between Yamba Drive and the Monaro Highway and the second on Gungahlin Drive between the Barton Highway and Belconnen Way.

The average speed of motorists travelling the 5.5km stretch of Hindmarsh Drive will be calculated by timing how long it takes to make it between the two points. If that average speed exceeds the 80km/h speed limit, the driver is fined.

Prospective camera sites that may be introduced include Parkes Way, Tuggeranong Parkway, Ginninderra Drive and the Monaro Highway.

The sites have been selected based on traffic and safety levels.

The ACT Government announced the roll-out of the camera network yesterday and released a study on their proposed introduction.

For more on the study, and the reaction of the ACT Opposition to the plan, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
ArTeesT

Wow thats just sad, Hope it does not catch on for other states, Id also love to know where they are getting there figures for amount saved and how fool proof this system is.
ArTeesT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Simple, in NSW the premier admitted that the point to point cameras have a fatal flaw; go past them in one lane, then change lanes. Other than that, surely we can educate the little vandals and bastards in our society to trash cameras instead of other things; it might even make people respect them.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
XlR8TED

The crazy thing is, Hindmarsh drive is a mostly 3 lane, concrete barrier divided road with no bus stops or housing and traffic lights controlling the couple of intersections there are along it's stretch. Most people speed along there because...the 80 speed limit is ridiculous.

What happens when someone realises they're over & then decides to slow down to 70 until they get past the 2nd camera, impeeding peak morning traffic flow? On the fixed cameras we already have, people will slow down to 10 under the limit - scared of being caught. Will everyone slow down to 70 along Hindmarsh drive causing road rage and congestion?

Nothing but revenue raising crap. I don't condone destruction of public property, but I would not be upset to see people up there with cans of spray paint over the lenses. They tried this system in the UK and eventually gave up due to vandalism.
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Canberra is a safe labor seat, so we can't vote the monkeys out. Labor voters are too blame. Hope they all get tickets.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m pretty sure trend setting victoria already has it :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
XlR8TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Canberra is a safe labor seat.
I don't think you understand the difference between the local and federal governments.
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
lownloud
Ford Junkie

Can't say I've ever seen an accident on that stretch of Gungahlin Dr..... (I live close and drive it usually a few times a day) So I can only figure there must be heaps of accidents on Hindmarsh Dr though to make up that 11.8 billion though......????
Money grab much?
Old 22-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Nany state has em

Yep nanny state Victoria has em on the Hume in and out of Melb and on the Princes Freeway from Melbourne to Geelong
its basic Just dont speed on those roads or work out were they are then go for it just after one and then stop for your power nap before the next one !!!

Surley the vandals could do em in!
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
AussieAV

$11.8 billion in 10 years,
thats $1.8 billion per year, or
$4.93 million per day.

Given that these systems would only work on stretches of road with no intersections or side roads (I assume - otherwise cars could just detour around them), ACT drivers must be really bad. Either that or the Government is telling porkies - which could it be?????????
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
I don't think you understand the difference between the local and federal governments.
Yeah sorry. My mistake. I forgot Labor was in power in the ACT.

Safe labor seat.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I hope they introduce point to point radars everywhere.
The person who speeds slightly to overtake in safety and then returns to a legal speed need not be afraid.
Those who make their own rules when the cops aren't around are in for a rude shock, you will be caught..

As for lane swappers, I hear from a reliable source that a slight software upgrade is needed and
then these people will be nabbed too, RTAs not correcting misinformation to catch smarty pants?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
Matt P
No Boundries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The person who speeds slightly to overtake in safety and then returns to a legal speed need not be afraid.
Those who make their own rules when the cops aren't around are in for a rude shock, you will be caught..

As for lane swappers, I hear from a reliable source that a slight software upgrade is needed and
then these people will be nabbed too, RTAs not correcting misinformation to catch smarty pants?

If it worked like that but it does not any speeding on that strech will put you under the average time it would take at 80km/h and you would be fined. It's a cash grab form yet another loose spending labor government who need to get wasted money back fast. Stanhope has spent more on crap artwork on these roads than he has spent on damaged caused by accidents.
Old 22-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

I dont get it? You have exceeded the speed for the zone and will be fined.

Unless you have one of those magic cars I have been hearing about.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P
If it worked like that but it does not any speeding on that strech will put you under the average time it would take at 80km/h and you would be fined. It's a cash grab form yet another loose spending labor government who need to get wasted money back fast. Stanhope has spent more on crap artwork on these roads than he has spent on damaged caused by accidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I dont get it? You have exceeded the speed for the zone and will be fined.

Unless you have one of those magic cars I have been hearing about.
It's the average speed over the measured section, not single point speed.

In general flow people are under the speed limit so if you over take a car and then drift back under the limit,
your average speed over the distance won't be great enough to incur a fine..
Those people that sit 5-10 ks above the speed limit will get hammered.

Point to point radars are used elsewhere and provided you know the rules of the game, it's OK.

I don't have a problem with strong enforcement of speeding, I gave up my wild ways years ago.

Last edited by jpd80; 22-09-2010 at 07:08 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #16
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAV
$11.8 billion in 10 years,
thats $1.8 billion per year, or
$4.93 million per day.
hahaha - wtf

Tell em they're dreaming

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
The crazy thing is, Hindmarsh drive is a mostly 3 lane, concrete barrier divided road with no bus stops or housing and traffic lights controlling the couple of intersections there are along it's stretch. Most people speed along there because...the 80 speed limit is ridiculous.

What happens when someone realises they're over & then decides to slow down to 70 until they get past the 2nd camera, impeeding peak morning traffic flow? On the fixed cameras we already have, people will slow down to 10 under the limit - scared of being caught. Will everyone slow down to 70 along Hindmarsh drive causing road rage and congestion?

Nothing but revenue raising crap. I don't condone destruction of public property, but I would not be upset to see people up there with cans of spray paint over the lenses. They tried this system in the UK and eventually gave up due to vandalism.
Monaro and Parkway could easily be 100/110 zones and the place where they want to put the P2P could easily be 100

Yes lets introduce speed cameras when there are two major bottle necks (Monaro/Canberra Av, and (Monaro/Isabella Dr) meaning you can't even do the speed limit half the time in peak hour.

80-100-80 two lane to one lane bridge to two lanes again it is a bloody painful

Oh for the people who don't know the southbound camera on Parkway near Hindmarsh Dr now faces towards you!
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post