Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Nik

Default breaking timming chain in au i6

we were fitting the new head to our falc wednsday and i noticed one of the links in the timming chain was missing (found the link ).lucky the thing didn't let go while i was driving it around could have been real exspensive.
what do you reckon could have caused it to pop off ?
has anyone else done a timing chain in there au ?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The timing chain in my 1st motor done my motor in mate.I think its a case of over tensioning and or not releasing the tension properly when installing the cam. For heavens sake bud be careful.

When you dial the cam in do not rotate the engine from the cam but the crankshaft. Turning from the cam can cause ovestretching.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Nik

when we installed the cam originaly we dialed it in perfect . using crank bolt to rotate cam .the chain tensioner was also done right using the alum key to unlock it once installed tensioning up the chain .

its got me stuffed how its dun it .just glad we noticed it it time.
just trying to prevent it happening again .
Old 23-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i have found that faulty timing chain guides can cause slack in the chain which can the cause the links in the chain to fail.

The guides can chew out between 80 to 100 thousand kms. seen it before when i fitted new cam to my car ...
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

When you change the timing chain make sure you check the guides gogs etc.To make ure that they are not broken or chipped.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Nik

the chain guides were ok they just had minamul wear.i was thinking that maybe my idle prob could have caused it .once the car is warm everytime you start it ,it used to try and stall and rev down to about 200rpm making aome bad rattling sounds .maybe this puts a bit of stess on the cam chain rattlig around and its popped a link .
anyhow the new heads on and it seems to be idling a lot better now .
catch ya jake