Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Ethanol mandate could strip regular unleaded fuel option from southeast Queensland mo

Ethanol mandate could strip regular unleaded fuel option from southeast Queensland motorists

by Ursula Heger From: The Courier-Mail September 06, 2010 12:00AM

UNDER THE PUMP: Petrol giants say it will be difficult for service stations to offer choice. Source: The Daily Telegraph
REGULAR unleaded petrol could be stripped from most southeast Queensland service stations when the state's ethanol mandate is introduced at the end of the year, fuel industry experts have warned.

Motorists are already struggling to find service stations that stock regular unleaded fuel, after petrol companies began removing the bowsers and replacing them with the 10 per cent ethanol-blend, known as E10, ahead of the mandate.

Up to 166 of the state's 900 service stations, predominantly across the southeast, have removed regular unleaded bowsers, including 123 of BP's 329 Queensland service stations, 33 Caltex sites and six Shell sites.

But while E10 is between 2¢ and 3¢ a litre cheaper than regular unleaded, it is consumed at a higher rate – meaning motorists spend more money using the biofuel.

The oil companies say they have had to convert the service stations ahead of the State Government's planned introduction of a 5 per cent ethanol quota, which will require almost 50 per cent of fuel sold in the state to be E10.

Independent retailer Neumann Petroleum has converted four of its 75 sites, but executive general manager Charles Wright said the retailer would struggle to meet the ethanol quotas.

He said the introduction of the ethanol mandate would see oil companies focus on converting predominantly southeastern petrol stations to only sell the ethanol-blended fuel or premium products.

"What you are probably going to see to meet the mandate, is that the southeast corner will be predominantly E10, so that when you add the whole state together you come up with your quota," Mr Wright said.

A spokesman for Mobil, which has converted 26 service stations in Queensland to sell E10 but continues to offer regular unleaded at all retailers, said it would be difficult to continue to offer a choice.

"At least 50 per cent of your regular unleaded sales have to be E10, you can't achieve that very readily though continuing to offer a choice to customers – you won't get there," he said.

Peak-motoring body RACQ spokesman Gary Fites said the southeast's motorists would increasingly struggle to find regular unleaded fuels as the mandate is introduced.

He said up to 30 per cent of motorists could not safely run their cars on ethanol-blended fuels, meaning they will have to pay an extra 10¢ to 12¢ for premium fuels.

The State Government plans to introduce legislation for the ethanol mandate this month or next.

Treasurer Andrew Fraser, who is responsible for the mandate's introduction, refused to answer questions from The Courier-Mail. But a statement released from his office said the ethanol mandate "preserves choice" in the state.

P

Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Why does the qld gov insist on this? Why can't motorists have a choice in E10, or regular unleaded?
Curious it's only like this in qld too.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Why does the qld gov insist on this? Why can't motorists have a choice in E10, or regular unleaded?
Curious it's only like this in qld too.

It'll be more interesting when Australia forms government. We might see this made Aust wide.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Again, why? Ethanol blend for the sake of ethanol blend???
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Help farmers out in North Queensland would be one that comes to mind.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because it looks like they're doing something to fight 'climate change'... the masses will fall for it...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

I went to fill up yesterday at Woolworth in N.S.W,and there was no regular unleaded pumps i asked the worker whats going on and they said no more regular due to government changes only e10 and premium,I just hope premium comes down in price due to competition.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

because the population were STUPID enough to keep voting labor in time and time again, and now we're stuck with the bumbling kapitan blight destroying whats left of the state
Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the great ethanol conspiracy.............
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I thought this was already set in stone. Come the end of the year, E10 is introduced and 91ron was discontinued.

As mentioned motorists will end up paying more at the pump.
Im going to have to start shelling out for premium in the lawn mower as well.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
MAV50L
Banned

Old news. Its already come in in NSW.
But then again we already have to have the ciggarette display case in a shop all covered up now.
NSW leading the rest of the country. Pity there is nothing good coming of any of it but...................
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great news for anyone running older cars; looks like Premium all the way ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Don't Have Sugar In My Coffee,so Why The Hell Would I Put In My Car?
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Help farmers out in North Queensland would be one that comes to mind.
Welcome to Katter country.

Funny how everyone forgets almost all unleaded was carrying 5% ethanol a few years back before it was mandatory to advertise the ethanol content.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Welcome to Katter country.

Funny how everyone forgets almost all unleaded was carrying 5% ethanol a few years back before it was mandatory to advertise the ethanol content.
Not all that much cane in Kennedy actually.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
But he has been flapping on about it since his vote actually counts now.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Don't quote me but cant they make it out of Banana leaf as well?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
But he has been flapping on about it since his vote actually counts now.
Well he does represent the entire population of an area twice the size of Victoria..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

If you don't like it ???
Run 98.. Simple...
Whats the dramah !!
I don't have suger in my coffie either.. The coffie doesn't come from overseas either..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it possible to keep the ignorant political commentary out of this thread?

Here I was thinking comments like these were banned

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #21
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

The only problem is that all the farmers might start growing sugar cane to meet demand and stop growing fruit and veges,that means we have to import more overseas fruit and veggies.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #22
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I personally do not have a problem with ethanol. I see it as a means of continuing the fun we have using Internal Combustion Engines (ICE). Petrols going to run out one day, and i would much prefer using this to being forced to buy a *shivers* non-ICE car.

I can understand how this is an issue for people with boats, but given time theyll find a way to keep us happily burning something.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK EX CHASER
The only problem is that all the farmers might start growing sugar cane to meet demand and stop growing fruit and veges,that means we have to import more overseas fruit and veggies.
Veges and fruit already come in from overseas..
There is heaps of land out there to grow whatever is required..
If the market and $$$ is there....
This argument always comes up by people with negative attitude towards ethonol...The like of Dr Karl who has NEVER done anything.. Just theory!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #24
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Using ethanol helps reduce the massive foreign debt we are accumulating each month here in Australia. Petrol / oil is a sizeable component and will continue to grow quickly particulalrly as our oil fields mature and die off.

Ethanol doesn't have to come from sugar or corn, it come from many different things including rubbish. I'd rather support Australians (businesses / farmers) than Sheikhs and oil barons.

For people that don't want to buy ethanol, buy 95 premium. This usually works out cost competitive in that it yields extra economy. If more people buy it, then there will be more competition for the premium dollar too. Which should see it fluctuate more broadly in line with regular. (Whole another debate!)

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post