Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
sleeper393

Question Au Ball Joint Replacement

Are there any preferences for ball joint makers , quality wise ????, as my lower ones are in need of replacement , are they prone to wearing out quick on AU's , i cover alot of kays , 10000kms every 3mths roughly , a few guy's i spoke to said yep au's chew lowers.

123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have`nt found that to be the case, mine has all original ball joints at nearly 180000 kliks,tyres still wear perfectly, mind you i put grease in them when they need it and give it an alignement every couple of years and also don`t crash it over speed humps.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
EV1LXR8

mine are still good done 260.000 ebay has some ball joints they will work good as any others
EV1LXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
sleeper393

yeah im getting a clunking noise when going over bumps the front end has been re-bushed , new hubs , bf uprights as i put bf brakes on , bilstein's and eibach spring , i thought the stiffer susp may put more load on the ball joints. ??
Old 17-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
chrispie123
Banned

be wary of some of the ebay ones the rubber quality just isnt the same in the boot i had to just recently replace ones that arent even 10.000 old as the boot had perished and mater got in
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I don't sell many of the Genuine Ball joints for Falcons and they are the same from AU to BF. Genuine ones are a little pricey @ $56.00 each but they are good ones.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
yeah im getting a clunking noise when going over bumps the front end has been re-bushed , new hubs , bf uprights as i put bf brakes on , bilstein's and eibach spring , i thought the stiffer susp may put more load on the ball joints. ??
Have you replaced your sway bar to chassis mount bushes?

These bushes are often overlooked. When the factory bushes wear a bit they start making a nasty clunking noise that sounds like your lower ball joints are about to fall out - the factory bushes have a void network in the load bearing faces ironically to address NVH issues...

Back in the day at the dealership we used to see this problem start around the 80k mark in std suspension, 30k in Tickford enhanced suspension up here in NQ where the goat tracks___ um, I mean "roads" are a little on the irregular side...
If you do need to replace them, use a urethane bush (Nolethane or similar) - this will not flog out so readily and actually gives a slight increase in roll stiffness as the bushes act as bearings and let the bar operate as designed, not to mention the reduction in bush deflection under load....

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
sleeper393

Talking

yeah i replaced them when i re-bushed the front end all nolathan front.
Old 18-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393

i think thats a fair comment, also the trend from high profile tyres to the lower profile type, the tyres don`t absorb as much shock load as they once did.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
sleeper393

Unhappy

im running 235/45/17 , so its not to bad , but that and the firmer suspension may contribute.