Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #31
Pat Riley
U MAD?

ESPN Radio has just reported that after Dallas re-signed Brendan Haywood to play center for them, that Shaquille O'Neal may reject the 2 year $11M deal offered to him by his only other suitor, being Atlanta, and will look to join Miami for the league minimum ~ $1.4M per year.

It has also been reported that either Jason Williams or Allen Iverson may also sign with the Heat to fill out the roster.

C - Shaquille O'Neal
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SG - Dwayne Wade
PG - Allen Iverson

^^ I would wet myself if that happened. That is like literally your past US Dream Team playing as a regular season team.

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #32
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Damn, I might become a closet Miami fan this year while being a vocal Chicago fan

Like someone said I hope Shaq doesn't clog the lane too much. They might beat that record yet.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #33
prasac
Banned

AI would just wrap things up perfectly. they should find a cheap up and comer have Pat Riley spend a few months 1 on 1 with him grooming him, if anyone knows a good centre its Riley
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting.

I heard, that James and Stoudamire are all being signed with New York..
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #35
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
AI would just wrap things up perfectly. they should find a cheap up and comer have Pat Riley spend a few months 1 on 1 with him grooming him, if anyone knows a good centre its Riley
They should bring back Alonzo Mourning! That would be sick!!

They could get Brad Miller although I really realy don't want them to. He is just wayyyy too slow - possibly the slowest guy in the league. Shaq is still very underrated. Even at his age, he still commands a double-team. With the big 3, teams would have to play him solo and he would dominate because of it. This would be his only time ever in the league, where teams wouldn't double him, something which he would probably love to experience.

Jeff Van Gundy was right when he came out and said that opposing teams will play zone almost 100% of the time. This means that Miami desperately needs to build the team from the 1 spot to the 3 spot wil shooters first and defenders second.

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House
Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #36
BOSHOG
avenge me

Alonzo Mourning was one of my favourite players to watch throughout his career, he gave everything he could, including his kidney, to make his teams contenders. he is currently the VP of the Heat and im sure he is still in good enough shape to pull on the jersey
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #37
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Falcon
They should bring back Alonzo Mourning! That would be sick!!

They could get Brad Miller although I really realy don't want them to. He is just wayyyy too slow - possibly the slowest guy in the league. Shaq is still very underrated. Even at his age, he still commands a double-team. With the big 3, teams would have to play him solo and he would dominate because of it. This would be his only time ever in the league, where teams wouldn't double him, something which he would probably love to experience.

Jeff Van Gundy was right when he came out and said that opposing teams will play zone almost 100% of the time. This means that Miami desperately needs to build the team from the 1 spot to the 3 spot wil shooters first and defenders second.
maybe shop around in Europe. couple of good Serbian big men Raduljica and Marjanovic

Lakers have done extremely well last 20 years with European centres Divac, Gasol. Spurs have done well with foreign players Ginobli, Parker all proven championship teams.

Last edited by prasac; 09-07-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #38
BOSHOG
avenge me

guys, im loving this basketball talk! keep up the banter!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #39
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Maybe the mods can change the thread to "NBA Banter thread"

And for the record I don't like Gasol!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #40
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
maybe shop around in Europe. couple of good Serbian big men Raduljica and Marjanovic

Lakers have done extremely well last 20 years with European centres Divac, Gasol. Spurs have done well with foreign players Ginobli, Parker all proven championship teams.
look up some old footage of Sabonis too, from his days in Europe. he truly is one of the 10 best centers of all time
Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #41
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Hell yeah....
Think its time for a "Your Starting 5 (NOW & THEN)"??
I'll start!
NOW
PG) Rajan Rondo
SG) Kobe Bryant
SF) LeBron James
PF) Dirk Nowitzki
C) Andrew Bogut (gotta support the oz players)
THEN
PG) John Stockton
SG) Michael Jordan
SF) Scottie Pippen
PF) Larry Johnson
C) David Robinson

May the discussion/arguments begin!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #42
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Quote:

I see where you are going with the Euro centers but it's doubtful. The best Euro centers earn like $5M per year (tax-free too) to stay in Europe. Miami can only offer them like a bag of peanuts, half of which goes to the taxman. The league minimum differs for young guys and veterans. Which is why I see the Heat going after a lot of veterans because instead of it being $480k like it is for young guys, it is about $1.4M for veterans. If we secure Joel Anthony, I would be happy with anyone else we got, because I know that Anthony and Chalmers can play ball and defend. Anything after that is just extra security. I'm really really looking forward to see Jarvis Vanardo play - seriously check out his 5 min youtube video - unbelievable. Then you got Dexter Pittmand AND D'Sean Butler who they drafted this year.

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #43
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Now
PG) Rajan Rondo
SG) Dwayne Wade
SF) Lebron James
PF) Paul Peirce
C) Dwight Howard

Then
PG) Gary Payton
SG) Michael Jordan
SF) Scottie Pippen (Of course)
PF) Charles Barkley
C) Hakeem Olajuwon (Spelling?)
Old 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #44
BOSHOG
avenge me

Now
PG) Deron Williams
SG) Kobe Bryant
SF) Lebron James
PF) Pau Gasol
C) Andrew Bogut

Then
PG) Magic Johnson
SG) Michael Jordan
SF) Larry Bird
PF) Bill Russell
C) David Robinson
Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #45
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Falcon
I see where you are going with the Euro centers but it's doubtful. The best Euro centers earn like $5M per year (tax-free too) to stay in Europe. Miami can only offer them like a bag of peanuts, half of which goes to the taxman. The league minimum differs for young guys and veterans. Which is why I see the Heat going after a lot of veterans because instead of it being $480k like it is for young guys, it is about $1.4M for veterans. If we secure Joel Anthony, I would be happy with anyone else we got, because I know that Anthony and Chalmers can play ball and defend. Anything after that is just extra security. I'm really really looking forward to see Jarvis Vanardo play - seriously check out his 5 min youtube video - unbelievable. Then you got Dexter Pittmand AND D'Sean Butler who they drafted this year.
u have a point, but it's a better starting point for the European player. ok he earns $5m a year in europe, but he comes to Miami plays for $1m a year, Miami help him get some more contracts worth a couple mil a year. he becomes a mega-superstar centre and can then command $15m a year. the earning potential is greatly improved because he is a proven NBA player, not a great player in Europe so he might be good in the NBA if u get my drift.

old skool team
PG) Timmy Hardaway
SG) MJ
SF) Charles Barkley
PF) Karl Malone
C) David Robinson

nu skool, i'd run a small mobile unit
PG) Tony Parker
SG) Dwyane Wade
SF) Kobe
PF) Lebron
c) Tim Duncan
Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #46
BFZF8

Guys I'm going to make an unpopular prediction here. The Heat will cause absolute havoc in the regular season (60+ wins) and will fail in the playoffs.
Even though Wade and Lebron play different positions they do too many of the same things and both of them need the ball a lot to be effective. By the time playoff time comes defenses will have had time to work out how to stop them.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #47
Fireblade
Wizard Member

But the thing with a team full of superstars like this is you can't leave any of them for a double team as they will hurt you offensively. Whoever will have to be a very good defensive unit to beat them.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #48
BFZF8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
But the thing with a team full of superstars like this is you can't leave any of them for a double team as they will hurt you offensively. Whoever will have to be a very good defensive unit to beat them.
Undoubtedly. They are out there though. Playoff basketball is very different to regular season play. The defenses tend to get cranked right up and I just think there is too much potential for the Heat to get bogged down offensively. Don't get me wrong there are massive upsides to this combo in that if one star isn't performing there are two other significant weapons to choose from.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #49
Fireblade
Wizard Member

As proven in the playoffs this year, the cavs were comprehensively smashed as when it come to the crunch Lebron didn't have the support he needed. And the Cavs were the pick of the bunch as League leaders last season. The cavs should've been in the finals the last 2 years.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #50
Pat Riley
U MAD?

I don't know if I 100% believe this one yet, but everyone is saying it's a done deal - Apparently the Miami heat have just signed Mike Miller to a 5 year $30M deal with the cap room created from Beasley with the big 3 all taking $1M pay cuts to do so. Mike Miller is probably in the top 3 in the league in 3P shooting.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...n_mike_miller/

C - Shaq / Anthony
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Mike Miller
SG - Dwayne Wade
PG - Lebron James (Magic Johnson style)

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #51
austyphoon

Very interesting move, could have picked it really, I think it was going to be either Cleveland or Miami. Going to be good season next year and I can't wait when LBJ plays in Cleveland, they're going to have to chopper him in and out because the city will rampage.

In other NBA news, Manute Bol, the tallest player to have played in the NBA at 7'7" died a couple of weeks ago aged only 47 :(. Did a lot of charity work for his home country Sudan, donated almost all his earnings. Quite sad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5305868
austyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Will they be a champion team or a team full of champions?

Can they win with a bunch of cheap scrubs coming off the bench?

Will an injury to one or 2 of them destroy the team?

So many questions that will need to be answered during the year.

I remember from back in the day that MJ was on a minimum salary as he earned so much money from endorsements that he was willing to sacrifice his team income just to get better players around him to win championships. Seems like none of these guys were willing to settle for anything less than close to top dollar.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #53
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Will they be a champion team or a team full of champions?

Can they win with a bunch of cheap scrubs coming off the bench?

Will an injury to one or 2 of them destroy the team?

So many questions that will need to be answered during the year.

I remember from back in the day that MJ was on a minimum salary as he earned so much money from endorsements that he was willing to sacrifice his team income just to get better players around him to win championships. Seems like none of these guys were willing to settle for anything less than close to top dollar.
MJ earned $30m/yr even in his last years in Chicago, the highest salary in history. its no coincidence that hes the richest ex player ever and the only ex player to be an NBA majority owner
Old 12-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #54
rodderz

Will be interesting to follow the progress next season. On paper looks to be a very imposing lineup, but as others have mentioned, get a few injuries, or too much focus on players with the same style could also be a negative. They will need a good mobile centre to complete the lineup and someone that can throw down 3's all night. Someone mentioned Ilgauskas, he usually plays ok and is pretty athletic.

Take Michael Voss and his buying of players for the Brisbane Lions, on paper they looked to be a real p'ship contender but they've lost what 7 on the trot now? Different kettle of fish yes but it shows you still need a good all-round team along with your superstars.

I followed NBA/NBL religiously for years when I played full time when I was younger, then took no notice for about 10-12yrs or so, the last couple of years it's really become interesting again. Players like LBJ, Bryant, Howard, Garnett etc have done that. Lebron in particular, is simply amazing to watch. If the teams down near the end, he virtually wins the game single handedly. I don't think he's sold out on the Cav's, he's done as good as he could and they still haven't made the final playoffs or won a ring.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
MJ earned $30m/yr even in his last years in Chicago, the highest salary in history. its no coincidence that hes the richest ex player ever and the only ex player to be an NBA majority owner
Did he take a pay cut when they kept being beaten by Detroit in the playoffs, and he was desperate to get a championship ring?
Old 13-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #56
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Did he take a pay cut when they kept being beaten by Detroit in the playoffs, and he was desperate to get a championship ring?
no, the team Chicago built to beat Detroit was created via the draft and trades, not free agency so the salary cap wasnt a huge issue to them at that stage. in his last 3 title years he was on single year $30m deals, Phil Jackson was also on single year deals.

Chicago (well GM Jerry Krause, or "crumbs" as MJ named him lol) didnt show their stars a great deal of loyalty, letting Pippen leave in free agency, not giving stars jobs in the front office etc. this lack of loyalty is why Wade didnt want to go to Chicago as a free agent.
Old 14-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I remember hearing about how disliked Jerry Krause was.
Old 16-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #58
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Currently Miami's roster looks like this so far (tentative):

C - Joel Anthony
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Mike Miller
SG - Dwayne Wade
PG - Lebron James

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - Jerry Stackhouse (unconfirmed)
SG - Mario Chalmers
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Dexter Pittman (#32 draft pick)
PF - Jarvis Varnado (# 41 draft pick)
SF - D'Sean Butler (# 48 draft pick - inj)
SG -
PG - Patrick Beverley

PF - Juwan Howard (unconfirmed)

Still a few more veterans that will likely join. A couple of the rookies may spend time in the D-League until they are ready to join the team.

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman