Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
honda99ex

Question Spark Plug Help

Awesome site. Wish I had found it before I bought my AU S1 Forte especially since I paid to have some work done on it (brakes - really wished I had known about the upgrade and exhaust rusted out) but no used crying over spilled milk. I am an expat from the US and I wanted to get something I couldn't get back home so Falcon it was! Anyhow the car has very suspect history as of the last 5 years. Prior to that, it was serviced well.

I just changed the plugs and as it is the first time I've done it ever, I was looking for help interpreting them. Apologies in advance for the ****** pics. First I'm confused since the plugs don't seem to have uniform deposits. They have them on one side... Is that normal? Second, plug number 5 had a wet oily brown coating but not on the top but near the threads. What does that signify? By number 5 I mean the plug is the fifth from the front of the car on the I6 or second from the dash.

Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SparkPlug1.jpg (94.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SparkPlug2.jpg (97.2 KB, 45 views)
honda99ex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda99ex
Awesome site. Wish I had found it before I bought my AU S1 Forte especially since I paid to have some work done on it (brakes - really wished I had known about the upgrade and exhaust rusted out) but no used crying over spilled milk. I am an expat from the US and I wanted to get something I couldn't get back home so Falcon it was! Anyhow the car has very suspect history as of the last 5 years. Prior to that, it was serviced well.

I just changed the plugs and as it is the first time I've done it ever, I was looking for help interpreting them. Apologies in advance for the ****** pics. First I'm confused since the plugs don't seem to have uniform deposits. They have them on one side... Is that normal? Second, plug number 5 had a wet oily brown coating but not on the top but near the threads. What does that signify? By number 5 I mean the plug is the fifth from the front of the car on the I6 or second from the dash.

Thanks.
G'Day and welcome to the Forums ,, Plugs look as they have worn fairly even could be running a bit rich but they come that way from the factory so I would drop a bottle of injector cleaner through the tank and give it a new set of plugs and see how it goes . How is the fuel economy ?
Have a look HERE the first picture was my sons I6 plugs at 120000 Ks

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
honda99ex

Forgot to mention - Car has ~104,000 km. It was running nice but after the exhaust change (could be totally unrelated) it would intermittently stall/almost stall on cold starts.I brought it back and they checked it but couldn't get it to stall. I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, ecu was reset, dropped in some injector cleaner and stalling stopped (coincidence?). now I did the plugs. Can't comment on fuel economy as we haven't driven it much. The car is actually for my girlfriend. I got suckered as a newbie to Oz and took it into the dealer for the tranny flush, rotors and pads x 4 and the exhaust. Mostly because I wanted a clear conscience throwing my non automotive minded gf in the car and also because I called AutoMasters and the cost were similar so I figured dealer would be better. Probably overpaid.. We're in Perth. Any shop recommendations? Any audio shop recommendations? Australia is so bloody expensive.

So just don't worry about the wet light brown oily thread plug?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

With those Ks on it I wouldnt be to worried about it as for service in WA some of the WA gang should be able to help out there
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
honda99ex

Not too worried about the plug, especially if there isn't anything I can do about it...

Any help on the shops or wreckers near Perth? I need some miscellaneous bits like a sun visor and dome light cap, etc..