Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Mark6z
Looking to buy a Ford!

Smile Need help, Buying a Car !

Hello everyone!

Im currently in the market to buy a Ford
I used to own a Holden VP..But, sold it to my brother.

Im just after some info from those who own or have owned Fords.. In the model year 1990-1998ish

Just wondering, what type of Ford is reliable, and not likely to break down..Like most Old commodores seem to :(
Im not to fussed on Power really.. Just a good car that's nice...And can travel long distances..And also have mates say, "Tis a real nice car you got! Sounds great..etc etc.." ( I usually travel up & down QLD for Paintball Comps.)

Thanks !
Mark.

*EDIT - If this is in the wrong area, I apologize !!

Mark6z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
Pat Riley
U MAD?

I used to own a VP Commodore and then went to a 2001 AU 2 Forte and now a 2003 BA XT.

If you are going a Falcon I would be trying to go to the BA series. You can get an 03 BA XT with highish kms for $5,000 now. Ford spent a lot of money updating the AU to get to the BA. The BA is very stable, handles well, has all the features you would need in a car, performs very well, good interior. You said you don't care, but with 182kw of power and 380 NM of torque, you will never need to really worry about merging into traffic or overtaking someone.

I personally am not a huge fan of the EL or AU. If I could go back I would possibly keep the $3k changeover I spent going from a 91 VP to an 01 AU 2 Falcon. The Falcon was much better, but the VP was very fun to drive. I think in that era (late 90s), the VT Commodore was a better car. If you go that route, you should definitely get the series 2. You can likely get a VT series II for around $3,500 now. But.. I would try squeeze into a BA still. Much better car.

In any case A VP to an EL would for the most part be a lateral movement - you might as well have kept the VP if it ran okay. And I wouldn't touch a series 1 AU (I think the series 2 came out in 1999). So I'd be going 1999 onwards if u wanted a Falcon.

In summary, unless you are going post 1998, and likely 2002+ (BA series) onwards, I probably wouldn't get a Falcon..
Hope that helps (a little).

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
seduced_xr
BF XR6

around 1998 i wouldnt have anything other then the last of the ELs with the hybrid motors.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

AUII or AUIII are more than acceptable transport. The styling can be, save for an XR or T Series, lets face it, not to everyone's taste. If you can live with the looks, the AU is not a worse car than the BA, and in many areas infact better. Weight, fuel economy, handling, interior fit and finish, all tip in the AU's favour. The BA wins with acceptability among your mates, styling, resale slightly.

Both exceptional cars though, and are day and light over an EL, even an AUI, both of which would be miles ahead of your VP.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Mark

I am a little bias when i say go the late model EL but as others have said look at the ba as well due to prices being at a good level now for the buyer

I have a 98 6cyl EL and cant complane about 1single thing really

i say look at all the options and go from there

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
AUII or AUIII are more than acceptable transport. The styling can be, save for an XR or T Series, lets face it, not to everyone's taste. If you can live with the looks, the AU is not a worse car than the BA, and in many areas infact better. Weight, fuel economy, handling, interior fit and finish, all tip in the AU's favour. The BA wins with acceptability among your mates, styling, resale slightly.

Both exceptional cars though, and are day and light over an EL, even an AUI, both of which would be miles ahead of your VP.
X2
I'd take an AU2 or 3 over a BA MK1, learnt my lesson buying a first run of a model getting an AU1
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I found the EL to be a top car! Reliable, decent looker with larger wheels and lower springs. Kills my BA for fuel economy!!! But as mentioned a BA for 5-7 thousand would be the go, if you can make it work.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
SVD

EFII or EL Ghia, they'd be my pick, unless you can find an AU Ghia with the full tickford kit...they are a damn nice looking car, and no matter what you get, almost all I6's will be faultless if they've been looked after...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

i have a BA xt. But we also have a AUII and id go an AUII-AUIII over a BA xt.
Touch wood nothing has happened to my BA...but from reading threads on here and my mates experiences and my own. I believe the AUII-III are a more reliable car then the BA series 1's.

Our AUII has only travelled 66,000kms...but NOTHING has happened to that car. I love driving it too.
Something like a Futura would do well for you...or even a fairmont. Loaded with features and are priced well. I reckon between the 4500-6500 mark.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Mark6z
Looking to buy a Ford!

Must admit, It's good to read positive comments towards the Ford cars

Im not exactly in the biggest rush to buy a car at the moment, .. So, by reading all you're comments (Thanks a lot by the way!!!) I went around town (QLD - mackay) and had a squizz at the Car Yards, & found some really nice looking cars..

But what caught my eye was a, 04' BA XT/Auto.. For $9,500 thats done 149 XXX
Seems a tad pricey, or unless .. That's correct?

OR This lil beauty, 2000 Ford Falcon AU FORTE Blue 4 Speed Automatic Sedan
for 6,999. With 166k on its odo..

What should I look for in the BA & AU models, like Rust..Suspension bushes..Engine leaks, etc?

Also..I wouldnt pay full price as to what they want.. I know, if you at least just show over Half of the $$$ they normally accept..

EDIT - I would give you all Rep + , but my Rep Power is 0 ... Don't think it would benefit.. But, Rep+ coming you'r way now!
Old 16-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Well I've owned my AUII Fairmont for a few years and it's been perfect, extremely reliable!
It's very comfortable and laid back and is great for long trips, it goes interstate a fair bit.

With a good LPG setup it's even better
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Id recommend a nice AUII - AUIII Fairmont, can pick them up nowadays for under 10 grand easy (of course depending on your location)

Dunno bout AU's but in the BA's you should check:

brakes for brake shudder
diff + bushes for any clunks and odd sounds
weird acting transmission, slow to shift, doesnt shift normally, clunks etc..
the lovley handbrake which may not actually work
check for any leaks and make sure the coolant isnt dissapearing into the transmission...

Basically making sure the driveline isnt stuffed. But of course most if not all of these problems (should) have been rectified by now so if you find one, test drive it, and it drives perfect, you may be onto a winner

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
max
LWBforME

I have an AUII and a BA. Let me tell you it's a love-hate relationship for me with both of them! Don't be fooled- they BOTH have their fair share of issues. Let's face it- they're OLD! 2001 and 2004! If it isn't powersteering leaks and brake shudder and erratic tyre wear on the AU, then it's gas converter and spark issues wih the BA. It's all a pain and all costs money. But what else can you do? Get a loan for $35K and get a new one and lie in bed at night listening to it depreciate? And lose $10K in the first year not to mention the interest payments!

My advice: pick the best of the bunch available in terms of klix and general condition, and pay as litle as you can for it. If you can find a good AU or BA for around $5K-$7K, and get a ridiculous offer accepted on it, your doing well!
Leave $1K-$2K aside for contingencies, which WILL arise!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Mark6z
Looking to buy a Ford!

Personally, I don't like Gas.. imo, I dont trust Thats just me!

With the leaving 1k spare when buying the car, I new this.. As every car normally has something wrong thats hidden!

What I can't believe is..There are so many Fords for sale in my local area..then there are Holdens..

So many great looking fords..It's making it hard to choose!! LOL
Altho.. I will be buying from a Car Yard, now I know they are bogey as all hell.. But, it will come with RWC & Rego.. So, all I gota do is... Find the fault when/if they arise

Interceptor, There is one AUII I've looked at..VERY! tempted to get it!
But, again.. Im iffy "Is this the right one" hehe.. Sad I know, :(

My issue is.. So many of the Ford Models I've seen today, are great!! Look & sound better than most Holdens.. (No offense intended)
I just cant seem to find the "one" hehe..

Think I may need to do some research and see what model is the best (Out of the ones im looking at)

Anymore info on Fords is GREATLY! appreciated !!
Mark-
Old 16-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

el with under 200000kms
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Mate, if you see it and you like it, keep it in mind cos if you dont find anything else that really stands out to you then hey, you might have found the one

Cant really go wrong with an AUII, mines been bought by the parents years ago with about 60xxx kms on the clock. Now its just a touch under 250000 and the only things that had to be replaced was a leaky radiator, a leaky power steering o ring or somthing-a-rather and the g'box just went..only cos nobody serviced it. ever.

So, 3 things in 9 or so years of mostly city use carrying heavy weight 2 days a week and the odd road trip and dirt road, gotta love an au!

Anyways, enough crapping on bout my au...Happy hunting mate

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
Mark6z
Looking to buy a Ford!

Hehe, thanks ;)

Can you tell me more about you'r car?
Im keen to buy one like yours!!

How good is its Fuel eco..tyre wear..brakes etc etc..
AND! does it start 1st go in a COLD morning?

Thanks!
Old 16-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
X2
I'd take an AU2 or 3 over a BA MK1, learnt my lesson buying a first run of a model getting an AU1
X3

I think the AU's have it slightly in drive-ability than the BA (my taste in driving) ..... so that would come down to looks. But drive both and see as the BA feels heavier and bigger than the AU ... but that might be what you like so its all personal.

Series 2 and 3, especially the VCT Ghias, is alot of car for small amount and plenty out there to choose from. Don't think a 5k BA would be much chop??

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
Mark6z
Looking to buy a Ford!

Sadly, in this backwards town Mackay... BA goes for 10k-15k !!! & AU 2/3 seem to go from 6k-11k :(

However, Im thinking I should look in another Town
Old 16-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark6z
Hehe, thanks ;)

Can you tell me more about you'r car?
Im keen to buy one like yours!!

How good is its Fuel eco..tyre wear..brakes etc etc..
AND! does it start 1st go in a COLD morning?

Thanks!
haha no worries

Its been working hard for a while and keeps soldiering on, still goes great at full capacity, that is, boot stacked full to the roof, 5 people + a cat and dog. :P . Its an overall great car to be in, inside feels nice to be in, handling is great, has plenty of power on tap aswell.

Fuel economy isnt to bad..around 11 - 15L/100kms depending on how you drive it...can get as low as 9 on the highway.

Tyres..i dont know the kms of how long they generally last (havent taken note) but they do last quite a while.

Brakes are as they should be, great stopping power, wears real good. Mines got a bit of brake shudder at high speed...has never been machined.

And on cold mornings...starts like its hot, even at the snow

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
Pat Riley
U MAD?

You should look at getting your car from the auctions. I bought my BA for $6,300 with only 116,000kms on it and that was 2 years ago, so you can definitely get them for $5k now - I've seen them.

Either way an AU II or AU III would also be good. I'd still recommend a BA, but otherwise if I was going with a Ford i'd go for the AU III. Fully colour coded even in Forte trim and in the AU III they packed it full of goodies cos it was the last of the AUs and they had to compete with the competition.

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman