Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #31
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

ok ill set the record straight
i used to work in a fairly large telco heehehhehehe
9 times out of 10 its not your crappy line thats causing you greif. its usually a modem chipset thats trying to get a 56k connection when its on a line thats too long to support it (causing errors)dropouts
and other assorted nice things. if your getting dropped off first disable call waiting. NO. 1 cause of dropouts

If your getting a slow connection and your rural you should not get ANYTHING LESS THAN 19200. this is wrong and should be looked at.(less than 19200 anywhere in australia is... well... illegal) call Telstra country wide and they will, after much poking and proding get someone out there to do a molds test. this will show connection speed and your error count. theyll then identify your chipset(modem) and install an initialisation string to lock it to an appropriate speed. this will give you an effective 19200 connection.

pair gains systems are not what you think they are. yes they divide the bandwidth and yes you will get slower speed. the worst were 4ch digital pair gains they gave each of its 4 customers a quarter of the bandwidth 14400bps. these units have been getting phased out for years and should be replaced by RAM 8ph2's if they havnt been already.

now for rims... remote integrated multiplexer basically an optical fiber run out to rural areas to enable more people to get phone service. this is not a pair gain device (unless non integrated)

isdn will give you decent connection speeds miles from nowhere

when you buy a phone line you get what you asked for, voice transmission line with the ability to transmit data to 19200bps, thats all, nothing more, stop your whinghing!!

if you buy an ADSL,ISDN etc you get what youve asked for.., a data product.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #32
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

As I've told you before, Lisa, two soup tins and piece of string is not going to cut it
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 09:07 PM   #33
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
ok ill set the record straight
i used to work in a fairly large telco heehehhehehe
9 times out of 10 its not your crappy line thats causing you greif. its usually a modem chipset thats trying to get a 56k connection when its on a line thats too long to support it (causing errors)dropouts
and other assorted nice things. if your getting dropped off first disable call waiting. NO. 1 cause of dropouts

If your getting a slow connection and your rural you should not get ANYTHING LESS THAN 19200. this is wrong and should be looked at.(less than 19200 anywhere in australia is... well... illegal) call Telstra country wide and they will, after much poking and proding get someone out there to do a molds test. this will show connection speed and your error count. theyll then identify your chipset(modem) and install an initialisation string to lock it to an appropriate speed. this will give you an effective 19200 connection.

pair gains systems are not what you think they are. yes they divide the bandwidth and yes you will get slower speed. the worst were 4ch digital pair gains they gave each of its 4 customers a quarter of the bandwidth 14400bps. these units have been getting phased out for years and should be replaced by RAM 8ph2's if they havnt been already.

now for rims... remote integrated multiplexer basically an optical fiber run out to rural areas to enable more people to get phone service. this is not a pair gain device (unless non integrated)

isdn will give you decent connection speeds miles from nowhere

when you buy a phone line you get what you asked for, voice transmission line with the ability to transmit data to 19200bps, thats all, nothing more, stop your whinghing!!

if you buy an ADSL,ISDN etc you get what youve asked for.., a data product.
Thanks for all of that, but before you put the gun to your head.ISDN, do i have to buy another piece of equipment,or do i have to ring telstra up to do something with this modem i have or do i have to get another line put into the house or is it something completly different all together. Now remaining quite calm remember you know about these things and i know about locks, ok I AM READY.......
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #34
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Put simply,

It will take installation of a second line, and a new modem.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #35
xespac

I have only got a 1500/256mbit adsl connection =( - previously had a 512/128mbit connection - now i'm on 1500/256mbit I want to go faster. Once you go faster you ain't wanna go back

Last edited by xespac; 14-09-2005 at 05:47 PM.
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #36
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

damn i was spewin that ADSL 2 is gonna be like a year away from my area, i will shut up i think !
Old 14-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #37
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we know who has the slowest who has the fastest internet speed? mine is 100.0 mbps

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #38
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

i have 128kbs/128kb/s,

connection speed is boring, lets see who has the fastest ping to this web site

type "ping www.fordforums.com.au" in the command prompt (without inverted commas)

i have an average of 226ms, man thats slow, the server must be outside Aust
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #39
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

delete please

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE

Last edited by NC 5ltr; 14-09-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 14-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #40
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my average is 172ms for fordforums.com.au
256ms for fordmods.com
174ms for fordforums.com
217ms for surfwx.net

connection speed is 1500/256 kbps

Last edited by NC 5ltr; 14-09-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 14-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #41
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Minimum is 196ms, Maximum is 201ms and Average is 198ms on a 256/64 connection.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #42
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
we know who has the slowest who has the fastest internet speed? mine is 100.0 mbps
You sure that's not your network card's speed ?

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #43
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWXA
You sure that's not your network card's speed ?
its the local area connection speed

Old 15-09-2005, 12:56 AM   #44
Dezza
Parts bin special

With the old dialup back at Gippsland, I thought the 4kb/s was bad! That was after about half a dozen attempts to connect as well! We had a dodgy phone line so we got telstra in and now it is up aroud 45-50kb/s. Much better, but still nothing compared to my 10Mb/s Broadband up here. How can you have it at 14.4b/s? That would take an hour to load each thread on this website!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #45
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

My Ping results for www.fordforums.com.au
Min : 196ms, Max : 197ms, Avg : 196ms
Damn thats slow !!!!
I pinged ford.com.au and it came back at avg 19ms !

i am on 1500/256
Old 15-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #46
luke

i thought my lightning fast 28.8 connection was bad... i live in the suburbs and i know people in the middle of friggin nowhere that can get at least 33.6
damn telstra

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2005, 03:11 AM   #47
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to have 28.8 around melb's se suburbs, now adsl is i think 1500/256

all i need now is another hard drive (:
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post