Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Our new ride

Well, we've just decided to let our beloved BMW go because of the mileage.
So we needed to replace it with something cheapish at the moment as we haven't enough folding stuff for a TE50 or a Beemer 330 coupe.
An interim car was needed, and in steps an AU3 XR8.

Didn't have many to choose from within 500k's of where we live, 3 in fact, so made a few phone calls, discussed price, looked at one, and bought it.
It's Narooma blue, pretty standard, and in excellent condition.
Cloth trim, standard brakes.

The modifications it does have is -
Lowered springs.
A crappy dual 2.5" and then onto single 3" exhaust.
Tow hitch.
And save the best till last, lovely blue colour coding of the the smaller items on the dashboard. YUK!
Oh, and it had reasonable sized Alpine subwoofer system (which I promptly ripped out).

The engine performance is pretty disappointing, well, at least compared to my P250. By comparison, it's utterly gutless. In isolation, it's adequate and not even too bad across the midrange. Low end power is fairly weak, midrange is good, top end is adequate. It desperately needs the fancy exhaust which the yoot has.

The gearbox feel is typical T5, in that the shifter is all over the show, and bashing the gears in is sometimes needed.
Gearing is decent as is, with the ratios spaced well for it's power delivery.

Handling is quite good, a reasonable amount over and above the P250, particularly on poor surfaces. The yoot will bounce, jiggle and rattle ya teeth out on the wrong roads, whereas the sedan is still reasonably supple, without any wallowing. Body roll is higher, though the yoot has some pretty big bars underneath. A 27mm front bar should fix that.
Over the smooth stuff, there ain't much in it, with the yoot holding on better, but given it's big rubber, that's understandable.
Steering precision/directness is better with the sedan, obviously due to it's shorter wheelbase.

Brakes are worse than I have felt the standard setup feel. I suspect a decent set of pads will sort this out as they feel pretty wooden at normal speeds. Haven't experienced fade, however I know they can work better.

We paid $13200 for this unit with 82000k's, and we're so far pretty happy with it. It's no Beemer, but it's not bad.

Modifications I'd like to do in the near future is really only the exhaust, with the same magical hand made tri-y's from my mate in Blacktown.
Maybe throw some 18's on too, though I don't mind the standard Tickford rims.

Oh and getting rid of all the blue crap from within.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds like a good buy - should be fun on that small amount of twisties leading up to your place.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Sounds like a good buy - should be fun on that small amount of twisties leading up to your place.
Yeh, I think the $$ was reasonable, though not spectacular.
Feels nicer than the ute up these roads, that's for certain, just needs more stick.

Forgot a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (12.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got any pics of the blue crap on the interior?

That's pretty good k's!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
got any pics of the blue crap on the interior?

That's pretty good k's!
Not yet, please don't tell me you want to do it?

There was another unit with 74000k's in Newcastle. Was advertised for nearly $19000, and had him down to $15800.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Sox congrats though I know how you feel stepping out of a beemer long ago,great little packages those 3series....
Your description is spot on re the AU3 having had one prior to going to the 5.6l....
The XR is a fantastic handling package having the IRS stock, bang some konis/billys and they are even better as you would know.
Exhaust is the achilles heal as you'll fix,a better CAI helps that bit more..
Anyway great colour !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Not yet, please don't tell me you want to do it?
absolutely not - just curious to see what lengths some go to in order to ruin an interior.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

wd sox, looks great.
the only people i've known who have *ahem* upgraded the interior like what you suggest have been people i'd quite happily put in the waste-of-space category
Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice pick up, the blue rocks.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
wd sox, looks great.
the only people i've known who have *ahem* upgraded the interior like what you suggest have been people i'd quite happily put in the waste-of-space category
Gee, thanks for that.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
urbancowboy

Nice XR8 low mileage too!
Is that the Rebel style kit on it?
Does it have the MoMo option's?

LOVE that colour! although i think i could be a little bit biased as my XR8 is the same colour! I think the stock wheels look pretty good too! but 19" wheels seem to have the right ratio of rim to tyre on a an AU IMO.

These trick extractor's you speak of getting, any chance on a little more info?
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Sox
RIP...

FTE217 - The Beemer is something else, superb handling with unbelievable levels of grip. Makes the XR8 look stupid, and you know how good they are.

Ragtop - Yeh well dunno what people are thinking, but each to their own.

Mr Hardware - I sorta think the same, but it appears JC may be into it, so I won't say too much, he seems like a pretty decent fella.

Mik - Thanks.

JC - Ooops.

Urbancowboy - Dunno about the Rebel thing, as far as I know it's the only kit which the AU3's had, but I'm sure someone else knows more.
No Momo options unfortunately, as I'm starting to like the wheel on my ute.
Coulour is ok, I prefer black, then silvers, but can't be all that choosy when buying second hand. And the wheels, haven't thought much about it yet, may still leave these for now.

Ahhh, and the extractors..... I'll talk to the dude who makes them, see if he wants me to spill the beans. I know he doesn't like making them but does it for me as I've known him a long time.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
These trick extractor's you speak of getting, any chance on a little more info?
Ok, just had a chat to him on the phone and he's happy enough to make them.

He calls them 'step backs'.
Reason being is they exit the port a certain diameter for around 200mm, then step back the next size down in diameter to the first Y section. Then obviously the pipe increases in size until the 3rd Y following into it's final size.

Beyond that is a fairly conventional dual 2.25" system with 2 straight through mufflers and 2 hotdogs in the tail piece.
The hotdogs are optional if you want it fairly quiet like I do.

He is of the opinion that for these capacities 5L-6L a dual 2.25" system is pretty ideal for the majority of applications, providing the broadest spread of power.
Same goes for the extractors.

Unfortunately most people like to talk big numbers and are more interested in peak power. This doesn't always equate to the best on road performance.

The dude is Bruce from Charlestone exhaust in Blacktown.
He's been in the game for along time and hand makes a pile of different custom systems for all sorts of things.

They are more $$ than off the shelf stuff is, but as they say, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
FTE217 - The Beemer is something else, superb handling with unbelievable levels of grip. Makes the XR8 look stupid, and you know how good they are.

Ragtop - Yeh well dunno what people are thinking, but each to their own.

Mr Hardware - I sorta think the same, but it appears JC may be into it, so I won't say too much, he seems like a pretty decent fella.

Mik - Thanks.

JC - Ooops.

Urbancowboy - Dunno about the Rebel thing, as far as I know it's the only kit which the AU3's had, but I'm sure someone else knows more.
No Momo options unfortunately, as I'm starting to like the wheel on my ute.
Coulour is ok, I prefer black, then silvers, but can't be all that choosy when buying second hand. And the wheels, haven't thought much about it yet, may still leave these for now.

Ahhh, and the extractors..... I'll talk to the dude who makes them, see if he wants me to spill the beans. I know he doesn't like making them but does it for me as I've known him a long time.
I had colour coded bits in previous cars, but woke up and realised that different is not always better!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Yeh, I think the $$ was reasonable, though not spectacular.
Feels nicer than the ute up these roads, that's for certain, just needs more stick.

Forgot a picture.
Who's the tall guy on your right

UK

PS Nice pick up
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #16
urbancowboy

Sox,
It does look like the rebel kit if i squint my eyes! its just that i couldn't get the to pic go very big. The body kits on the AU3 was optional between the rebel style kit also known as the Ford Racing(?), and also the Tickford kit which is the more understated of the two styles. I like both for different reasons! I have the Tickford kit on mine and i'm happy with it. If you are after a MoMo wheel there is a couple on ebay and one is cheaper than the others! I do love Black AU's but i was in the same boat as you since i bought my 2nd hand i dint have much choice, but i do like the Blue, and have grown extremely fond of it, to the point that it will be resprayed soon(ish) and will be redone in the standard Narooma Blue which is in fact a pearl paint.

I will PM you re: the extractor's

Cheers
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #17
AU1monty
Starter Motor

What did you do with the Alpine Subwoofer system?
AU1monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1monty
What did you do with the Alpine Subwoofer system?
It's still sitting here.
From what I can gather it was purchased and installed in 2003.
It is a split 6" system for the front, and coax 6" for the rear.
2 x 10" subs in a custom box which sat under the parcel shelf.
A fancy single din head unit.
2 medium sized power amps.
And a pile of cables, RCA, power, junctions, etc.

Not sure what it's worth, PM me I spose.
I can email you some phots.

There was mention of it being worth $4000 in it's day, but that seems to be somewhat of a stretch IMO.

Last edited by Sox; 18-04-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

sorry JC! : :
Old 19-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #20
AU1monty
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
It's still sitting here.
From what I can gather it was purchased and installed in 2003.
It is a split 6" system for the front, and coax 6" for the rear.
2 x 10" subs in a custom box which sat under the parcel shelf.
A fancy single din head unit.
2 medium sized power amps.
And a pile of cables, RCA, power, junctions, etc.

Not sure what it's worth, PM me I spose.
I can email you some phots.

There was mention of it being worth $4000 in it's day, but that seems to be somewhat of a stretch IMO.
hmm sounds a bit out of my price range
AU1monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1monty
hmm sounds a bit out of my price range
Try me.
What's your budget?
Old 19-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
AU1monty
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Try me.
What's your budget?