Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
slickstrings
Starter Motor

Default About to buy XR5 TEACH ME!!!

Hey guys i need your help. Im in the market for a new car, i could be sensible and spend 20 grand. but i tested the XR5 and i loved it. Ive been offered a demo with 80kms on the clock and 5 years of warranty from a ford dealer for $36990 drive away. Now what i need to know is your stories.

Whats it like to live with every day? is it a target for vandals? Are parts/servicing expensive? And is it really as easy on fuel and reliable as they say?

Im being a bit cautious because ive never spend that much money on a car before. im 23 and at a crossroads weather to send myself crippled with home ownership or do the 'your only young once' and buy a ripper car lol

Thoughts guys?

slickstrings is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Welcome to AFF slickstrings

Forgive me but I know my cousin purchased a brand new Monedo XR5 turbo around 8 months ago for $38,900 drive away with tints

I would have thought there was more wiggle room between a Focus XR5 and Mondeo XR5 to be honest!

However, i could be wrong
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You won't get many dealers budging on $36,990. They have started picking up a little in price. I think it would be cloth and no sunroof.

I've owned the XR5 Focus and now I've got the XR5 Mondeo. I'm fairly easy on the car and saw 9.5 / 100, but I've also heard they can be as high as 17/100. Depends on how you drive. They really are a drivers car and a hell of a lot of fun.

These cars I don't think are that much of a target, but I wouldn't say they won't be nicked, but they are no WRX, so I don't think there is that appeal.

Servicing will depend on who you go to.

If you want more info, then go over to http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Yeah 36,990 drive away is not a bad price at all. I'm 25 and i've had my car for just over 2 months now. Love it to death. Dad has a XR5 Mondeo and he loves mine for the sheer fun and noise it produces

This was my first big buy and my first new car. If you want to have fun, do yourself a favor and buy it. I test drove Ralliart Lancers, WRXs and seriously, this was the best in my opinion. Easy to drive, bang for your buck and a damn good looking car.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

A lot of people compare them to MPS mazda 3"s and GTI golfs and bang on about power figures and fancy pants flappy gear boxes (on the gti anyway) but honestly it comes down to how it makes you feel. And in that sense the XR5 has a ton more character and charm.

It may not have all the bells and whistles that the golf does (try get a mk VI for less than $40k.... yeah, didn't think so) or the bragging rights of the 3, which is a bit pointless as they are again, more dear, prone to going fritz (big time too) and don't like going in the direction they've been pointed.

In my mind, the XR5 is the only one worth buying purely for the day to day enjoyment it will bring.

As for attracting vandals and general knob-ends as long as you're not in an Electric Orange they wont even notice you. Until you leave them for dead in a shower of induction noise and exhaust pops and crackles.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
As for attracting vandals and general knob-ends as long as you're not in an Electric Orange they wont even notice you. Until you leave them for dead in a shower of induction noise and exhaust pops and crackles.
Amen to that.

Only thing i've really attracted is the bumper from my boss' wife's car. LOL

Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Hi and welcome to the forums. If you haven't already, try signing up here: http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/index.php

It's a really good resource for all XR5 owners / potential owners
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
my dad had got to drive an xr5 turbo for a day, it was orange, with black stripes... attracted alot of WRX's off the lights.... wasnt expecting that in a focus, especially as he drives an SS commodore.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Current National Drive away deals for 2010 Focus XR5 is $34,990. Brand new.

leather is 2k and Orange paint $1,800. Might need to shop around for a participating dealer!

Cheers!
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoonfan
Current National Drive away deals for 2010 Focus XR5 is $34,990. Brand new.
Exactly what i picked mine up for. Definitely pays to shop around

Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

also, this should give you an idea about the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSfvL3oajF0&NR=1

Old 08-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Try a performance blue one with white stripes it gets noticed and its a moron magnet bigtime don't want to attract morons stay away from the stripes imho.

Its a great little car and day to day they are easy to drive and are comfortable on a long trip also they are able to swallow a deceptively large amount of cargo. Since owning mine only thing that would make me go get the XR6T falcon out for is to tow the focus has all the luxury of my BA and is every bit as fun to drive all the while using lots less fuel.

I have noticed being in a small car there are quite a few people that seem to think that because you are in a small car and them a large one that gives them the god given right to ignore the fact you have right of way (I imagine be the same for any small car but) The XR5 also has a sound all its own nothing I have ever come across sounds anything like it its a unique sounding car, and twinpipes on a hatchback just look mean as imho. If you get one I cant see you having a problem unless you are wanting to tow with it which it very well may do, but I will never fit a towkit to it so I will never know.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Tj-zetec

You can get tow kits for the normal foci so I assume they'd bolt up to an XR. It'd mean you'd have to chop up the rear bar though and there's huge potential for a bodgy fitter to make a mess of it.
Plus with the lowered springs and big wheels/low profile tyres you wouldn't be able to tow anything remotely weighty.

I get what you're saying about the whole big car little car thing too. People view any small car as a path of least resistance. Sucks. But if you're on the ball and spot douches early and read what they're about to to, with all that torque on tap you can shut the door on them pretty quick. >

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey bud, I'll try to keep this post as normal as possible, but I haven't had decent sleep for 11 days so bear with me

In a nutshell, the XR5 is a brilliant car.

I had a worked XR8 that was quite powerful (245rwkw) and the 5 didn't dissapoint me power wise (that says something I think).

The handling was the biggest joy, so nimble and precise.

Yes it is FWD, and I had big concerns about that when going for a test drive / considering buying the car.

But in all honesty, with a simple rear anti roll bar upgrade ($250) it handles absolutely beautifully. You throw it into corners (at a fair wack) and it just turns.

Of course, if you are a tool it bites you, but it is also very talkative. You feel what the car is doing through the wheel which never fails to impress me.

Now, powerwise, in stock form the car is fun, but even a simple dreamscience tune makes it a whole new beast.

They are held back massively from factory to meet emissions. Even the most basic of tunes removes the torque limiting and introduces more boost etc and its so much fun.

Brakes are good stock, I opted to change mine, but honestly I only think the pads and fluid need to be changed to make them really good.

Fuel wise: Stock tune, normal city driving with a light foot, people have been getting anywhere between 7-9L /100K

Highway, anywhere between 6-8L /100K

Once you get a tune (either generic or custom) these figures rise a little, but I am running a rich tune, and on a putty road run, the worst I've had at the end is 10.5L /100K, so they are great on fuel.

Reliability: They are pretty darn tough. It is a powerful FWD so the weaklinks end up being the CV's and drive shafts.

Once again, if you are normal and have some mechanical sympothy, you'll be sweet.

Drive like an idiot all the time and you run into dramas.

The 5 is such a cool car to drive, the fact it is a focus means that hardly anyone has any idea of what it is capable of and even members of this forum have said to me "what the hell?!" when I've gone on a drive with them. It really makes you smile from ear to ear.

Also there are many upgrades available (unfortunately most from the UK, but don't let that deter you). and things such as a CAI and DE-Res make the car really sound the business and aren't too expensive either (De-res ~ $100)

The pops n crackles are also soooooo addictive.

If you want any more info I'm more than happy to help out bud.

Good luck, and I hope to see you in a 5 soon

Bourney.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow$34,990 drive away is an awesome price. If I needed another car, I'd jump on that. I paid around $41,000 driveaway when I bought my Focus
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
slickstrings
Starter Motor

Hey thanks guys! appreciate it. Ive heard nothing but raving reviews for it. Ive meen umming and ahhhing weather to do what my heart says it wants or say, invest in property which is what my head says i 'should' do. But my friend gave me some advice today and told me not to grow up too quickly. so chances are there will be one sitting in my drive in the next week lol
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're right, the house is the sensible option...

However, you're only young once, if you don't have any dependances then go for it!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can i be a fuddy duddy old fart.... Buy the house instead, flash car's can come later... Just my experience i got locked into a house young and a couple year's later i bought a new flash car just with the equity.... Equity maaaate...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #19
slickstrings
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Can i be a fuddy duddy old fart.... Buy the house instead, flash car's can come later... Just my experience i got locked into a house young and a couple year's later i bought a new flash car just with the equity.... Equity maaaate...
yeah see ive been thinking that. But im only on 45k and it will be one income going into this house. so ill basically be crippled until my pay gets better. which it will, but at the expense of how much of my enjoyment lol. buying a car isnt an investment, but its not nearly as big a deal as going into 300k of debt on the one income. I dunno, thats how i see it anyway. I could be wrong about it all. but i can trade a car in lol cant unload a house like that. It will come in the next couple of years. Probably have the car paid off in that time!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #20
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Look, I'm basically in the same financial position as yourself. I saved my *** off to grab this car. I'm only 25 and i'm glad i bought this now.

I test drove an XR6 Turbo, an XR8 and then the XR5. I took off from the dealership in the XR5 and within 100m of leaving, I pretty much said to myself "i want it". Now, I'm picky when it comes to most things, and especially with cars. For the XR5 to do that to me, means it's pretty damn awesome. :thebirds:

If you're lucky, you'll even score yourself some footwell lighting fittings as a hidden bonus. :P

Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #21
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Footwell light fittings are standard across all XR5's, you just need to buy the globes for them.

(How this makes sense I'll never know)
Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
Tj-zetec

Dug around a bit and found this thread:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11266489

Sarge posted it when he was considering an XR5. There's a lot of info in there. I don't know if any of it was usefull but he did end up buying one afterwards

Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #23
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Footwell light fittings are standard across all XR5's, you just need to buy the globes for them.

Most of them. There have been some without them LoL

Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

if i have these where do I look to find them? are they sore thumb blatant or are they a little more discreet if the XR5 was ere I would be checking that out but wifes out in it atm - more info be nice - a pic totally awesome! thanks

Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope these links work for you.

Basically, drivers side, open the door, crouch down next to the car and it will be on the right hand side, you will feel the socket (under the OBDII port)

Passengers side is on the left hand side of the car

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ach=2667;image

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ach=2671;image

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ach=2669;image
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #26
smee323
Yes it is mine...

Depends where you are and if you want a new or close to new car.
There is an EO on the floor at Stilwell on Main North road in Adelaide, and a white with blue stripes at MAzda on Port road. 31k drive away with 11.5 thousnad on the clock.
Go in without trade and offer 28k.
Ours is a week away. Cannot wait.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #27
xr5t87
Starter Motor

I say go for ti buddy!

im 23 had mine for just over a year, same thing deciding weather to save for a house, but this is the most exciting machine to drive!

i picked mine up as a demo 80kms on the clock from byrne ford kedron, leather interior, red with white stripes, $36,990.

So far i have kept it stock but got some big plans for it. The most exciting thing about it is, their are alot of idiots who pull uo beside me and think its just a worked focus with badges since the turbo under xr5 is red on red paint. then you smoke them.

I must admit though corners are the best ive lost my need for speed after losing my license young and the sheer enjoyment and handling makes it worth while!
xr5t87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #28
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hope these links work for you.

Basically, drivers side, open the door, crouch down next to the car and it will be on the right hand side, you will feel the socket (under the OBDII port)

Passengers side is on the left hand side of the car

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ach=2667;image

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ach=2671;image

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...ach=2669;image
pix no work but I will have a looksee as per your description hope its got them sounds cool