Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Default Water in boot lid.

Hi all, i have a 99' AU Classic Sedan and whenever it rains (even slightly) and i open the boot, it leaks from the bottom corners on each side.

Does anyone else have this problem ?

Cheers, Adam.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

I used to own a 1996 camry and I also had this problem, tried to figure out how to stop it, but with no luck.
Silicone may stop it.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have the same issue. I reckon the weep holes in the boot lid may be blocked, or we need to make extra provisions for added drainage. Keep emptying it or your may experience some rust over prolonged periods of time. The last thing u want is water to build up inside the lid!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I have the same issue. I reckon the weep holes in the boot lid may be blocked, or we need to make extra provisions for added drainage. Keep emptying it or your may experience some rust over prolonged periods of time. The last thing u want is water to build up inside the lid!
Yeah i was thinking about making the drainage a bit better.

It's a pain when you open the lid and things in the boot get a little waterfall over them.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Sometimes this happens to me too, but not all the time (I dunno why)

I'm always REAL careful opening my boot after raining, sometimes water will rush out, other times none will?

I dunno

I came to the conclusion that it probably needs some silicon around my spoiler or numberplate holes or something, but they all look fine..

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Sometimes this happens to me too, but not all the time (I dunno why)

I'm always REAL careful opening my boot after raining, sometimes water will rush out, other times none will?

I dunno

I came to the conclusion that it probably needs some silicon around my spoiler or numberplate holes or something, but they all look fine..
Yeah same, i dont know how the water is getting in there !!!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
some rust? grrr, mine is rusting through so I need a new one now...buggered if i'm paying the wreckers or ford $400 for one tho then having to get it painted (yes, these are the prices i've been quoted) I need to get one from somewhere...I have a feeling it's coming in the hole where the wire for the brake light on the spoiler goes out through the boot lid, but people without spoilers have the same problem.

this issue has been covered a few times and I think a major conclusion was the actual boot seal not working properly...
http://fordforums.com.au/search.php?searchid=2902557
have a look through a few of those and see if they are any help

Last edited by bodes-sh; 04-09-2008 at 12:11 AM.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had this problem until a few weeks ago.

to solve the problem i now park with the bonnet hight than the boot, and drilled some drain holes in the bottom edge of the boot. the holes are just inside the bootlid and drain outside of the boot seal, this seems to have fixed the problem.

i did try to 'drip check' the spoiler and number plate screws but that didn't help.

-tim
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

What sneakypete said, I had the same problem with my Fairlane so I just drilled a couple of 3mm holes in the bottom corners of the boot outside of the rubber seal so any water drains out of one corner or the other depending on what angle I'm parked on, problem solved.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

thanks fellas. looks like some of us here could be going down that path. Did you guys galv spray the drilled area to prevent rust or use a rubber grommet of some description?

Can someone post a pic of exactly where they drilled their weep holes?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Thanks all. Is this a good area for the holes ?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i had some touch up paint or something i would use it. i had some 'drip check' handy so i used it. it's a sealant type product so i drilled probably a 3mm hole and smeared the drip check around and in the hole but made sure water could still get through.

as for the position of the hole. i just had a rough guess of where the outer skin meets the inner frame and where the water would pool and punched the holes there.. but i'm rough

-tim
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

IGNORE PREVIOUS PIC. This is where i have drilled 3, 3.5mm holes. Thanks for the advice on this one guys, much appreciated.

Cheers, Adam.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Pull out the rubber grommets and make sure the holes are not blocked, park uphill if possible and lift boot slowly so water can drain out before it falls on you.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #15
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Cheers Jastel, i removed grommets and cleared holes then drilled a few more to be sure !

Thanks for your advice.

Adam.
Old 18-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
xtgt1968
Starter Motor

Thumbs up AU II Fairmont boot lid fills with water

I just bought a great AU II Fairmont with a standard Ford wing on the boot. Every time I fully opened the lid after rain, the equivalent of a tea cup of water would fall from the bottom corners of the lid. No water was entering the boot untill the lid was fully opened. Before buying a new boot seal rubber, I decided to try the following:-

(a) Bought Selleys Roof and Gutter Silicon Selant (green & black tube).
(b) Bought shorter numberplate screws 15mmX10G inplace of the standard 20mmx10G.
(c) Undone the chrome Fairmont badge and number plate light unit from the lid and applied plenty of sealant to the 4 attaching nuts and bolts and carefully refitted it to the lid, together with the seal that sits behind the chrome;
(d) Undid the numberplate screws and pulled out the 4 plastic lugs that the screws screw into, from the lid. Applied selant to the 4 lugs and pressed them back into the lid. Filled the screw holes in the lugs with selant and reattached the number plate, using the shorter screws.
(e) Undid the 2 nuts and bolts from the rear spoiler and squeezed as much sealant through the underside of the lid into the bolt holes till full and screwed the nuts and bolts back into the spoiler (spoiler does not come off the lid as it must also be stuck on).

Next day, blasted the back window and all the boot lid with a strong hose. Opened the lid and still copped a cup of water over my head.

As I had previously cured a Leyland P76 of all its problems, I wasn't going to let a Ford beat me. A week later I applied silicon to the following locations on the underside of the lid, adjacant to the bottom of the rear window. These are all located outside the main boot seal, and water can enter through them into the lid.

(a) Around the 2 bolt heads that hold each hinge to the underside of the boot lid.
(b) Applied silicon around the entire edge of the hinge brackets where they attache to the underside of the lid.
(c) Removed the vacant rubber grommet on the left hand side of the lid, ran silicon around it and pressed it back in. Did the same thing to the RH grommet and clip holding the wiring loom fom the body into the boot lid, and pressed it back in.
(d) Removed the 2 rubber lugs (they unscrew) that adjust how much the boot lid closes, ran silicon aroun them and screwed them back in to the correct height.
(e) Applied silicon around the head and washer of each bolt that attaches the gas struts to the underside of the lid.

Let it dry for 2 days the applied the water torture. Opened the lid and not a drop of water fell out of it. CURED

Happy AU II owner

XTGT1968 :
xtgt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post