Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
rogersp
scone

Default Rambler Rebel 770

Probably stretching things here but I have seen one for sale in a paddock just up the road. Its pretty straight but the interior is on the shabby side. Does anyone know anything about these things. Looks like it could be a great project. Internet searches have not shown up any clubs or much info so if anyone has any experience it would be appreciated.

rogersp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Rebel 770

Well the 770 was the up market model (think Ghia) of the 1970s
as far as I know they came in a four door sedan and a four door wagon
(8 seater ) from memory not as horny as the SST but pretty good for the family man with kids
maybe some one will add to this thread and help you out
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a guy who owns the xd in my yard has a rambler body shell with the pursuit motor out off it, he said its a 343 pursuit motor, no doors or panals, just a plain old body shell.

if i remember over the weekend i will have to get some photos of it

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If you get onto a Chrysler club, in your area, they'll shed plenty of light on them.

If memory serves me correctly (trying to remember back 20 + years), they were equipped with a 360, power everything. Windows, seats, steering etc etc. Very advanced for their time. My father had a fetish for Ramblers, but he's no longer around for me to pick his brains :

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
cowboy
Cowboy

A mate of mine has one parked up in his shed, 290ci V8, power everything and auto dipping high beams. Pretty nice car actually.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
rogersp
scone

Thanks for your replies guys. I am pretty sure there is a Chrysler club here in Tassie so I will try and contact them. I am hoping that it is a V8 because I used to have a P76 V8 and I loved that lazy power.
Old 23-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
cowboy
Cowboy

They did make them in a 3.8L 6 cylinder but I would be very surprised if it wasn't an 8, fuel price wasn't really an issure back then. Don't just restrict yourself to Tassie for a club, any club aussie wide would be happy to help you with some info I'm sure. Here's a few links to help out.

http://www.hudson-amc.org.au/

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...rs_rambler.htm

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~dis...page/links.htm
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
rogersp
scone

Thanks Cowboy. Nice ute by the way, a bit better than my mushroom XF.
Old 25-01-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always liked the hornet and Matador, they are nice cars that look very muscular with the right tyre and wheel combo.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Rebel is the predecessor to the Matador, and the successor to the Classic. It was AMCs "intermediate" car, like a Chevelle; bigger than the American (Falcon) and smaller than the Ambassador. If I remember rightly they were built up to about 1970? Their engines were a couple of 6cyls (238 and 258s?), the 290, 343 and 390 V8s. Most the Aussie ones I've seen were 290s and 343s with BorgWarner M-series autos (**********).
Like most AMCs even with their biggest engines they weren't really overly power (unless you started add the dealer-installed "Group19" parts .. which voided your warranty!). The most interesting Rebel was probably the "Rebel Machine" with 390 4-speed:

Most parts aren't really a great problem with these cars as long as the body is OK. Biggest issue is finding people who are either old enough or analytical enough to work on something different like these; e.g. has a look at the fronend setup .. trunnions .. weird. Don't let this deter you though .. AMCs are well built cars and great fun!
Your local Chryler club probably won't be able to help you. Contact Colin Main @ the AM Rambler Club Australia (australian.amcrc.com). If you get really stuck PM me as I have two AMC Javelins ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Rebel
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

They were assembled from CKD packs by AMI (Australian Motor Industries) in Australia (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral...tor_Industries) to slightly different specs to USA models and had some Australian content added (mainly seats and other internal trim). Came with a 290 ci V8. I had a close friend with one in the early 70's; and it was a typical floaty and thirsty US car. Parts for it were expensive at the time and he got rid of it when the Australian made front seat driver's seat broke (permanently recline mode) and he couldn't get source parts.
Old 25-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The other thing I remember from working on my mates it was that it had Australian made PBR disk brakes at the front.
Old 25-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I remember years ago that a mate of mine wanted to buy one, and it had a 290 in it.
So we took it out the back roads, and we thought that if it didn't make it to 100mph, then he wouldn't buy it. It got to around 95mph, before the radiater blew it's stack!
We got a lift back to the closest servo, rang the caryard, and told them where we left it.
My mate didn't buy it!
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i found this old poor girl yesterday in some ones yard, he wants it gone,

Here some pics

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

So you planning to resto it mate?
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like someone has already done the rust work on that one.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not to sure yet, my painter is interested in it, i would resto it as the guy getting rid of it has a spare 343 pursuit motor and box for 50 bucks, needs some major work done to it,

also some parts for it would be very hard to find considering how rare they are, body wise

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the day they were also used as Police pursuit cars in some places although not too many of them.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
not to sure yet, my painter is interested in it, i would resto it as the guy getting rid of it has a spare 343 pursuit motor and box for 50 bucks, needs some major work done to it,

also some parts for it would be very hard to find considering how rare they are, body wise
Was no such thing as a "pursuit" motor 343; AMC didn't build HP specials, just built them all as the same boring, reliable things they were. If you wanted to go faster you just ordered a bigger (stock) engine in a smaller car; i.e. the Ambassador 390 in the AMX (although the 390 was actually introduced the the AMX). Rebels probably had the 2bbl version of the 343V8 and Javelins/AMX the 4bbl (280hp) version.
If no one else wants it, shoot me a PM and I'll see if anyone in the Javelin or AMC clubs might want it.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
rogersp
scone

Hey its got a sunroof. The one I have looked at keeps disappearing for a few days and then comes back. So the question is, it is for sale for reasonable offer so I guess that all depends on what condition it is in. Assuming it goes which it must do as it keeps moving, and I know there are no dents, all the interior is intact give me a ballpark figure. Are we talking less than say $1500

thanks guys
Old 13-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I said the 343 motor is a spare motor, but not for the car, could be used as a spare but its not the blood related engine