Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
zdcol71
zdcol71

Default AU ute

Didn't want to jump in on the last thread so will ask new. I am looking at an AU ute from local dealer. 7k with 139ks on the clock, couple of questions, it's 7/99 build, what series does that make it, is there anything specific to look out for (sales bloke tells me all AU and even BA had problems with power steering pumps leaking into alternator)?
Has log book which shows it was serviced up to 140k, done at 134k, however that was 3/3/08 (2 years ago) and appears to have only travelled 5k in that 2 years. Are there easy enough ways to wind back or suspend speedos to reflect this ? just seems like a bell going off that its only travelled 5k in last 2 years.
Other than that ,it seems to drive ok, the clutch seems to have minimal travel but there is no slip or obvious roughness in it,(any specific probs with 5 speed?), and there are a few knocks and rattles that I would expect from a 10 year old car
Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Should be a Series 1. Yes the power steering pump can be a problem with AU's and they had a tendency to blow a head gasket, so keep ya mind on it.

Tampering with the odometer is illegal so there is a fair bet that it hasn't been driven much, may have been sitting in the yards for awhile. If your concerned with it i believe that a mechanic can tell if it has been tampered with
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
zdcol71
zdcol71

Thanks for your help
The power steering is more of an issue I guess if it leaks into the alternator, but I will be able to fabricate up a spill gaurd or something to keep it away from that.
I'm guessing replacement parts won't be too much of an issue, for price or availability?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Karnage
Finger Painter

If you suspect the odometer has been tampered with, get the vin and rego details and ring QLD transport, they should be able to check records for the odometer from previous roadworthy's.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
zdcol71
zdcol71

Thanks, It's probably not a big deal given the price, but you never want to get ripped off.
It actually appears to have only had 1 RWC since last service, which is the one just performed at its current yard, previous to that the log book goes back nearly 80k to the same service centre.
It would be nice to think I was being cynical, and it actually has just been sitting around for a couple of years.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Could be it was just serviced more often than the log book intervals. Factory says every 15000 mine was done every 10000 on request and they stamped my book eack time now after 7 years it is nearly 3 services ahead of the odometer :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
zdcol71
zdcol71

Hope your right, think I will get it.