Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default car festival?

Question is what does it take to make a good family friendly dhead free one? I would love to go to one that my family can safely attend, I was thinking firstly no booze that drive alot of the trouble away right off the bat, show and shine and cruising for starters for events - no burn out event brings the yobs and yokels, maybe a go to whoa type event if the rules are right could work?

idea is to try to create a moron free automotive gathering where people can appreciate cars and the work that has been put into them, and make it family friendly (or at least try) so the family guys can attend one of these without spending the whole time with his head on a 360 swivel watching his wife and daughter - this is not fun at all

I think with the combined brains that exist on this forum we could at the very least "pretend" we were organizing such an event to see what we can come up with as a whole, who knows maybe someone will implement our ideas.

so thats it, I look forward to seeing where this one goes

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread - the only car events that I now attend are the ones that I am invited to attend as part of an organised car club. These tend to be show & shine & club cruises with a number of events that also include members families & kids.

As you have already stated, take out the following - alcohol, burn out pit, loud music etc and the yobbo's with show us your titties mentality will not attend.

I'm no wowser by a long shot, but an organised car club tends to put on a number of static events that only attract the people that are genuinely interested in the vehicles that are on show - these tend to be the more family oriented events.

For my 2 cents worth - the answer is become involved in whatever car club that interests a person and has a set of rules & guidelines.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I go to a few, all with my kids, but I dont go to events like summer nats

last year the ASRF Nationals in Goulburn were great, we had drag racing on the saturday, street cruise saturday night Show and Shine on the sunday and bands playing the hole time and no it wasnt an alcahole free event, but there was no anti social behaviour

another good one is CRAKK in Canberra over the Aust day weekend, skid pan; cruises show and shine, bands again a great family event

why no glass bowles cause they arnt marketed at them, the sumernats for years has be promoded as a party and they have used the bogen elminat in their promotinon, now they want to change that and they struggel with numbers I hope they can turn it arround, it was a great event

the trouble is the show us your tits crowd are happy to spend 2 months rent on over priced sold on site JD & coke and get smashed that means more $$$ on the events bottom line while they cater to that market the problems will be there

IF you want to run a good event attend a few different ones form differt sceans, do a few rod events a few classics events etc they typicaly dont have a large bogun eliment attached research and find out why, I dont beleive its because the audiances average age is older, Ive seen plenty of 40yo tools yelling Show us ya Tits at the nats, so look arround I'm sure you'll come up with a great festival

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 07-01-2010 at 07:41 AM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the idea. A guy I know runs Showcar Sunday, which is in Sydney at the end of this month. the whole thing is aimed at families... loads of entertainment like hip hop dancers and Australian idol singers and rides and stuff (for the kids to get into). No burnouts or anything like that. Raising money for charity too... trying to get away from the "hoon" image or enthusiasts and car shows.

SHOWCAR SUNDAY
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
TP351
Lurker

Went to the Kustom Nationals at Philip Island on the weekend, by accident actually, I was there for a track day on the Friday. This was a very mature crowd, no trouble at all that I saw. They were very strict on no burnouts or bad behaviour. Good mix of cars too: hot rods, customs, classics, etc and controlled cruises on the circuit. I missed the main day on the Sunday but I thought it had the makings of an A1 Car Festival weekend!
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP351
Went to the Kustom Nationals at Philip Island on the weekend, by accident actually, I was there for a track day on the Friday. This was a very mature crowd, no trouble at all that I saw. They were very strict on no burnouts or bad behaviour. Good mix of cars too: hot rods, customs, classics, etc and controlled cruises on the circuit. I missed the main day on the Sunday but I thought it had the makings of an A1 Car Festival weekend!
I only heard about it the other day, will be there next year I'd say... what were the restrictions with driving on the track? Was a speed limit enforced?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I only heard about it the other day, will be there next year I'd say... what were the restrictions with driving on the track? Was a speed limit enforced?
this is one event I would love to go to

Heres some pics http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewt...r=asc&start=30

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too went to phillip island by accident while this event was on, didn't go to the actual event, but holy cow there was some very very impressive cars in cowes the day I was there we were there mainly to see the penguins and to goto the beach I also noticed no stupid behavior from the nice cars rolling around cowes and on the island in general they were more interested in cruising around and getting looked at it seems don't have any photos cause I was either swimming or driving, or looking at the penguins with the kids, this event looks quite good with cars for everybodies' tastes, how about a AFF gathering at this event next year?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Sounds like Kustom Nats, Pakenham Rod show, Vic Supercruise with a slight twist
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Powercruise in Qld is a good event for the family, probably because it has a no alcohol policy. But you are always going to have D/heads no matter where you go, society is full of them.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
TP351
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka

There was a pace car out there some of the time, but everyone was well behaved anyway. There were a few people giving it a squirt down the main straight. Quite a few unreg rat rods driving too.
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP351
There was a pace car out there some of the time, but everyone was well behaved anyway. There were a few people giving it a squirt down the main straight. Quite a few unreg rat rods driving too.

I'm there next year. So long Summernats, it's been good.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I had the pleasure of driving back to Melbourne from Gippsland area on Saturday afternoon, and I must say, there were quite a few VERY NICE machines heading back to Melb too...

No clowns... I went past a few cars that looked like typical hoon material... but they were very happy just cruising down the highway...

I have a holiday house down that way, and I will certainly be making use of it this time next year to check out the show FOR SURE...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems that this phillip island event is generating quite a bit of interest here, can we string together a forum based group to attend?

any takers?

Old 14-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
Extreme Ed
Starter Motor

Hey Guys,

You should check out my new event - the Street Machine Nationals to be held at Rosehill Racecourse at Parramatta over the weekend of May 15th and 16th. Yes we have a burnout comp on Sunday, but we also have head's up go-whoa and auto cross - (check out the website for footage of autocross!).

Its a no alcohol event and features an Elite Show Car pavilion, a Hall of Horsepower building featuring an array of drag racing vehicles and a dyno comp as well as an undercover area for the street cars.

We also have a Kids Chill-Out zone with rides etc making this a family friendly event.

More info at www.streetachinenationals.com.au

Cheers,

Paul Beck
Promoter - Street Machine Nationals
Extreme Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Ed
Hey Guys,

You should check out my new event - the Street Machine Nationals to be held at Rosehill Racecourse at Parramatta over the weekend of May 15th and 16th. Yes we have a burnout comp on Sunday, but we also have head's up go-whoa and auto cross - (check out the website for footage of autocross!).

Its a no alcohol event and features an Elite Show Car pavilion, a Hall of Horsepower building featuring an array of drag racing vehicles and a dyno comp as well as an undercover area for the street cars.

We also have a Kids Chill-Out zone with rides etc making this a family friendly event.

Cheers,

Paul Beck
G'day Paul,

I'll be there... still weighing up the option of a trade stand for trippytaka too.

Link broken, so I fixed:
Street Machine Nationals

Cheers,
Andrew Mara
Old 14-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Ed
Hey Guys,

Cheers,

Paul Beck
This looks like it will be a great event, I was reading about it in ASR last night (just in the calandar section)

Old 14-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I too went to phillip island by accident while this event was on, didn't go to the actual event, but holy cow there was some very very impressive cars in cowes the day I was there we were there mainly to see the penguins and to goto the beach I also noticed no stupid behavior from the nice cars rolling around cowes and on the island in general they were more interested in cruising around and getting looked at it seems don't have any photos cause I was either swimming or driving, or looking at the penguins with the kids, this event looks quite good with cars for everybodies' tastes, how about a AFF gathering at this event next year?

This and the Packenm event are very simular, as Chopper runs both, its jsut ones the natioanls and ones the Picknick booth are cool events :

Heres some pics I got form Ozrodders of the Phillip Island event

Old 14-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[/quote]

theres loads mor ethere if your interested http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewt...33163&start=90

Most rod and kustom events are family freindly I dont know if its becasue the core demographic is older there seems to be a wide range of ages from guys on their P's through to guys in there 70's I think the main reason is unlike events such as sumernats every one goes to a rod or kustom event for the same reason and thats not to Yell "show us ya _ _ _ _" and get smashed on the sponsers product. that said lets not pigen hole every car event with with the bad things that have hapend at a few sumer nats (not every sumer nats has had problems either) its jsut unfortunatly alot of people think modified cars and thing of the news real of the nats a few years ago when there were people dropen burnouts in the crowd and abusing the girls

Old 14-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I'm just going to have to wait until my effie becomes old enough for these cool events, or do another project...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post