Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Benny
TTG Owner

Default Buying interstate and shipping

I have been looking for a certain car for ages and finally found one I like in Perth. Problem is that I live in Hobart.
Now I know shipping it isn't too much of a hassle, with quotes of about $600 shipped to Melbourne where i can pick it up and take it on the ferry to Devonport and drive it home, or $1300 shipped straight to Hobart.
The main concern I have is that I won't be flying all that way to check out the car, so the owner is doing an RAC check and from his description it sounds like it's a really nice car.
If I go ahead with the purchase, does he just sign the rego papers and mail them to me? Then ship the car off? Or just leave the papers in the car?
Thanks, Ben

Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
I have been looking for a certain car for ages and finally found one I like in Perth. Problem is that I live in Hobart.
Now I know shipping it isn't too much of a hassle, with quotes of about $600 shipped to Melbourne where i can pick it up and take it on the ferry to Devonport and drive it home, or $1300 shipped straight to Hobart.
The main concern I have is that I won't be flying all that way to check out the car, so the owner is doing an RAC check and from his description it sounds like it's a really nice car.
If I go ahead with the purchase, does he just sign the rego papers and mail them to me? Then ship the car off? Or just leave the papers in the car?
Thanks, Ben
I would be posting the paper work over just to be sure you get them. I see it all the time at the wharfs with sea breezes, open the door and off the paper work flys

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Spaniard

To take over the registration you may need to be registered yourself or previously had a licence in that state otherwise the it will not be able to be transferred to your name. Call WA's Department of Transport (13 11 56) and advise them that you live interstate and you want to purchase a car that is registered in WA and if it is possible to transfer the registration into your name.

I am currently in the process of doing a similar thing but the car I'm looking at is in QLD. QLD's transport counterpart advised me that I can register myself with them to get a Customer Reference Number (CRN) by filling out a form (link for explanatory purposes). After completing this form, I can arrange for a QLD rego to be transferred into my name then move the car interstate to be re-registered there. By doing it this way, I am saving myself from the headaches of getting a RWC myself in my own state (if the vendor is willing to provide one in their state) and potentially save myself some money as a result of not knowing the issues with the car once it arrives. You may be able to do a similar thing with WA.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

i recently bought a car from a forum member in NSW and the papers were put into the glove box and there were no problems with that .
i was not able to transfer it into my name with the NSW rego so drove around for a while on that then took it for an inspection and handed the plates in and registered it in my name

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Sorry mate but if the car is going to cost more than 5k I cant understand why anyone would part with any money without seeing the car the pictures used could be 5years old an airfight is cheap compared to the cost of buying a pos based on the owners account and some pics that could be from when the car was new.
You could be buying a whole lot of trouble. Has anyone you know and trust that knows what to look for actually looked at it for you? If its a GT or a T car etc there are clubs and owners on here that could check it for you and give you piece of mind.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Sorry mate but if the car is going to cost more than 5k I cant understand why anyone would part with any money without seeing the car the pictures used could be 5years old an airfight is cheap compared to the cost of buying a pos based on the owners account and some pics that could be from when the car was new.
You could be buying a whole lot of trouble. Has anyone you know and trust that knows what to look for actually looked at it for you? If its a GT or a T car etc there are clubs and owners on here that could check it for you and give you piece of mind.

What he said....It's one thing not to drive a car before you buy it let alone not look at it. Think of it as a an investment in peace of mind. With Virgin Blue and Jetstar you could fly to WA for around $100 these days couldn't you?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
What he said....It's one thing not to drive a car before you buy it let alone not look at it. Think of it as a an investment in peace of mind. With Virgin Blue and Jetstar you could fly to WA for around $100 these days couldn't you?
Don't know about $100 but from Hobart $250-350 one-way with Jetstar would be realistic. I'm flying over to Cairns to see the one I'm interested in and that gives me peace of mind about my potential purchase.

At the very least, if you know someone you can trust get them to have a look at it before going ahead.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
79bluexd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am having same trouble all the cars i want are in perth or QLD . i would never buy site unseen especially the last 3 cars on ebay i looked at (1 was a member of a ford forum) & were nothing like the pics . lucky it was only 1-2hr drive to see it ...

It would be good if people could be trusted . even if a felow member went to check to the car for you with a list of questions . if a car was close to my house in melb i would have a quick look for someone even take updated pics
79bluexd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post