Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
gazza07
Starter Motor

Default AU2 Fairmont Speedo Issues

Hi guys

I have a Ford Fairmont AU series 2. My issue is that the speedo needle is about 10 to 15 kms out, dependant on the day and is constantly wobbling as I am driving. I have come to two conclusions; either the speedo sensor is faulty or the cluster itself is faulty. Unfortunatly, I am not very mechanically minded and I need help identifying the sensor. I believe it is on the gearbox, but even that I am unsure of. If it helps, it is an automatic gearbox as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

gazza07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

to get a digital read out of your speed from your cluster use this
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11201699
if you go to the 3rd mode one reading is speed the other is rpm

i have knocked my rpm needle before say 500rpm out and just fixed it by turning it right to the end the just a fraction more, but then it was consistently out by 500rpm and sat below 0 when the cars off... so i dont think this is your problem with your speedo

on hot days my cluster face plate or needle must expand slighly which makes them catch and it jolts slighly

so they're the cluster issues iv had. i have no idea of the cost of a speed sender or how it works (off a abs senser or tailshaft?) but its most likely the cluster if its not constantly out, if you watch ebay for a S2or3 Fairmont or fairlane cluster it should just be plug and play to swap them over (Not S1)

let us know how you go

Cheers Cam

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6

Last edited by fourl6; 12-12-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post