Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default lr zetec problem

i own a 04 zetec, 55000km manual
i haven't driven my focus for almost a year now, so i changed the oil and battery before i first started it, at first it was ok but now i think theres a few problems..

1)the car lacks power when under load between 3000-6000rpm, it almost in slow motion for abit, while this happens there is a unhealthy ringing sound coming from the motor..

2)also if im under 2000rpm the car makes the same noise as if i put foot flat to the floor in third gear at 5km/h..

3)also theres alot of squeezing and annoying noises when possibly from the diff..

i think 1 might be sparkplugs possibly???
2 im thinking is clutch
and 3 new diff oil maybe???

this car is just very new and very well taken care of
any suggestions??

4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

When you say you haven't driven it for a year, does that mean it was just sitting in a shed, or someone else was driving during that time?

Apart from taking it to a service centre (probably your best bet....really ) I'd change filter and plugs, plus check that the spark plug wires and timing belts aren't perished (I'd probably change wires as well really), or check that something hasn't crawled up and died in the engine bay! (Stranger things have happened!!!!)

Check the engine oil to see that it's not milky, and check the water as well

It sounds to me like a dead cat converter, but I can't see how not driving it for a year would cause that (rust and corrosion???)

Are is something else rusted?

Hopefully someone is more help that me
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
FORD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
When you say you haven't driven it for a year, does that mean it was just sitting in a shed, or someone else was driving during that time?

Apart from taking it to a service centre (probably your best bet....really ) I'd change filter and plugs, plus check that the spark plug wires and timing belts aren't perished (I'd probably change wires as well really), or check that something hasn't crawled up and died in the engine bay! (Stranger things have happened!!!!)

Check the engine oil to see that it's not milky, and check the water as well

It sounds to me like a dead cat converter, but I can't see how not driving it for a year would cause that (rust and corrosion???)

Are is something else rusted?

Hopefully someone is more help that me
Ahh i agree melb, i'd say it sitting for 12 months something has perished, was there fuel left in the fuel tank, and did you change fuel filter inner and outter one? worth a try
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Good point on the fuel! Hadn't thought of that.

Fuel will deteriorate over time, perhaps sediment, perhaps water, perhaps the injectors gummed up

New fuel filter, full tank of premium, with a bottle of Caltex Techron, and then an Italian tune up along the freeway (ie drive the thing HARD).

..........I'd still go to a service centre.......

p.s. I just noticed. Over 2000 posts from me!
I'm sure some of them made sense!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
4dlvr
4dlvr

it had been sitting in the garage for 12 months.

oil is new, no milkiness, no signs of a bad head gasket..

spark plugs and ignition leads will be changed soon but i doubt its them..
it really sounds like something in the motor is loose..
the fuel inside is new, cat seems fine, its still shiny,
ill drive it again and see if i notice anything, im starting to get a slight feeling that when it laggs under load its almost as if its its missing or 1 cylinder is not working
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
FORD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Good point on the fuel! Hadn't thought of that.

Fuel will deteriorate over time, perhaps sediment, perhaps water, perhaps the injectors gummed up

New fuel filter, full tank of premium, with a bottle of Caltex Techron, and then an Italian tune up along the freeway (ie drive the thing HARD).

..........I'd still go to a service centre.......

p.s. I just noticed. Over 2000 posts from me!
I'm sure some of them made sense!
Yep best to probally drain the fuel, change filters, fill her up with 98RON, perhaps try some injector cleaner through it?
Old 27-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
FORD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
it had been sitting in the garage for 12 months.

oil is new, no milkiness, no signs of a bad head gasket..

spark plugs and ignition leads will be changed soon but i doubt its them..
it really sounds like something in the motor is loose..
the fuel inside is new, cat seems fine, its still shiny,
ill drive it again and see if i notice anything, im starting to get a slight feeling that when it laggs under load its almost as if its its missing or 1 cylinder is not working
Hmmmm If it hesitates or laggs under load, and or has a slight miss, i'd be pointing toward plugs and leads

Edit: A/C's should be ran regardless every 2 weeks, to prevent seals drying out, and HIMS in the heater seizing, btw HIMS cost near 1k for a fix and whole dash has to be removed (5-6 hour job) from memory, so try your climate control/A/C
Old 28-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

While you're rummaging around under the bonnet check your MAF plug (should be the only one in the airbox) and maybe even pull the air filter out and give it a once over. Then check that all the plumbing in the intake system is intact and properly sealed and all clamps done up.
The problems you described could also be a mixture problem (confused MAF)

On the topic of plugs and leads however, I remember my LR got some water down in the valley between the cams. I don't think the plug tops sealed properly. Anyway I found that it was making it miss fire, probably shorting the lead against the head. I popped the leads out, blasted it with the air hose (with the plugs still IN, that's important!) and it was fine after that. Needed new leads eventually but it cleared it up.

It could be a multitude of things, we're all just brainstorming here.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
FORD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
While you're rummaging around under the bonnet check your MAF plug (should be the only one in the airbox) and maybe even pull the air filter out and give it a once over. Then check that all the plumbing in the intake system is intact and properly sealed and all clamps done up.
The problems you described could also be a mixture problem (confused MAF)

On the topic of plugs and leads however, I remember my LR got some water down in the valley between the cams. I don't think the plug tops sealed properly. Anyway I found that it was making it miss fire, probably shorting the lead against the head. I popped the leads out, blasted it with the air hose (with the plugs still IN, that's important!) and it was fine after that. Needed new leads eventually but it cleared it up.

It could be a multitude of things, we're all just brainstorming here.
Yer i agree, I'd just go over it and check it out, if it's still playing up and you cant find a prob (yourself) find a mechanic. cheers
Old 28-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Dustproof

Default Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
i own a 04 zetec, 55000km manual
i haven't driven my focus for almost a year now, so i changed the oil and battery before i first started it, at first it was ok but now i think theres a few problems..

1)the car lacks power when under load between 3000-6000rpm, it almost in slow motion for abit, while this happens there is a unhealthy ringing sound coming from the motor..

2)also if im under 2000rpm the car makes the same noise as if i put foot flat to the floor in third gear at 5km/h..

3)also theres alot of squeezing and annoying noises when possibly from the diff..

i think 1 might be sparkplugs possibly???
2 im thinking is clutch
and 3 new diff oil maybe???

this car is just very new and very well taken care of
any suggestions??
Yeah for sure, Empty the fuel from the tank and fill it with new stuff. The engine will ping and rattle because it is not running properly, it is nothing loose. I have had this problem with bikes I have restored, same noises etc. Don't bother adding new fuel to the old because it won't work, you can get an additive to revive old fuel but after finding out why fuel goes stale I would think it is a waist of money.

Step one, empty the Tank.
Step two, drain all the fuel lines.
Step three, replace the fuel filter.
Step four, refill the tank with clean fuel.
Step five, take it for a drive and see how it goes.

If it still has problems, check the spark plugs because they can get carbon all over them and foul with unburnt fuel - replace them. If you still have problems, get some fuel injection cleaner and pour it in the tank. Drive it again and you shouldn't have problems.

Rule of thumb, if not driving the car for an extended period, empty the fuel tank. Pull the plugs and give it a spray with WD40 and reinstall the plugs, after that disconnect the battery or get a battery tender to condition the battery whilst your away.

I hope this helps.

Noel