Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #241
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
You seem to think the rules dont apply to you, because nothing bad will happen, because "I know my limits". You think you are invincible on the road, and you are able to control what happens.
impact speed of 120km/h into a wall stops that thought.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Old 24-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #242
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Easy fix for this debate. If I bring round my 17 year old cousin who has had his P's for 4 weeks, will you let him drive your XR8 with no worries at all? If your answer yes, I'm sure Mitchay, Selekta and Steffo wouldnt mind a go as well. Hell lets open up that invitation to all the P platers on AFF, after all, theres no proof that P platers are any risk at all in a Performance Car, after all they drive just like standard cars right? Insurance companies must know this fact as well, I'm sure its the same price to insure a 17 year old with an XR8 as it is for an XT.

Still feel confident with your argument? Put your car where your keyboard is mate.

I know I wont let my daughter drive my Ute or the XP when she is on her P's or L's.

Hell i'm even going off to do a driving course so that I trust myself with the XP. And you expect me to believe a P Plater with bugger all experience can be trusted in it 110%?

Noone has said this will fix everything, no one thing ever fixes everything on any complex problem, but I know this, It wont hurt anyone further, it isnt likely to get anyone killed from trying, and at the end of the day it makes atleast some sense, even if you dont.
And this has what to do with performance cars being harder to drive? If I had a 4 cylinder car I still wouldn't want a group of new drivers I didn't know driving it because I know you don't need a v8 to act like an idiot. It wouldn't "hurt" anyone if all performance cars were banned why not ban them all together since they are so dangerous?

Old 24-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #243
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
And this has what to do with performance cars being harder to drive? If I had a 4 cylinder car I still wouldn't want a group of new drivers I didn't know driving it because I know you don't need a v8 to act like an idiot. It wouldn't "hurt" anyone if all performance cars were banned why not ban them all together since they are so dangerous?
Because in the hands of someone who has the experiance and knowledge gained from driving over many years an many conditions and situations, along with the level head and patience that is not known to be a strong point with some people, they are not dangerous.

This is not really an age based issue (although it is some part of the equation), this is an experiance issue. Personally, I wouldnt care if someone was 40 and on their P plates or 17 and on them, same lack of experiance applies. This also does not apply to all P platers, I know quite a few I would willingly throw my keys to my car to (if insurance allowed) as I trust them to be intellegent and respectful drivers who would try their best to avoid putting themselves in a less then comfortable position on the road.

Unfortunatly they all get tarred with the same brush due to the abnormally high amount of incidents and accidents involving P Platers.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 24-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #244
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Because in the hands of someone who has the experiance and knowledge gained from driving over many years an many conditions and situations, along with the level head and patience that is not known to be a strong point with some people, they are not dangerous.

This is not really an age based issue (although it is some part of the equation), this is an experiance issue. Personally, I wouldnt care if someone was 40 and on their P plates or 17 and on them, same lack of experiance applies. This also does not apply to all P platers, I know quite a few I would willingly throw my keys to my car to (if insurance allowed) as I trust them to be intellegent and respectful drivers who would try their best to avoid putting themselves in a less then comfortable position on the road.

Unfortunatly they all get tarred with the same brush due to the abnormally high amount of incidents and accidents involving P Platers.
Some older performance car owners are complete idiots as well, banning performance cars might stop these people from doing this. If all you have to do to justify a law is make it so it wont hurt anybody and might make a small difference then theres no reason not to do this.

Old 24-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #245
Velociraptor
Digging for avatar

Nobody knows their limits or their cars limits until they have exceeded them, by then its to late to argue the point. You cant put an old head on young shoulders,and it seems a few people have reached their limits on this thread, I hope they realise they have found them.
Old 24-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #246
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Some older performance car owners are complete idiots as well, banning performance cars might stop these people from doing this. If all you have to do to justify a law is make it so it wont hurt anybody and might make a small difference then theres no reason not to do this.
Your clutching at straws now. Your arguement have been pulled apart at the seams time after time. You simply refuse to deal with the fact that Hi Performance cars DO require better skills and experiance as they have the ability, if used wrong, to magnify the course of any accident. An unskilled driver can, through inexperiance and other factors (peer group pressure, ego, invincability syndrome etc) find themselves far far far out of their depth and in an irrecoverable position VERY quickly, far quicker than in a lower performace car.
This is not to say that this cant happen to more experianced drivers however simple statistics are against you. The statistical abnormality is that inexperianced drivers have more accidents. If removing a factor can reduce this then so be it. Personally, as I've stated before, I would like to see more evidence to back it up before it is imposed but, if that eveidence arrives, then so be it.
Your arguement has gone from not banning P Platers from Hi Po cars to simply banning all Hi Po cars. You have failed to even show one shred of reasoning as to why they SHOULDNT ban P Platers from Hi Po cars whereas there has been a number of fairly telling and effective arguments as to why they should. Your standing on quicksand. Your argument has not held up at all.

Old 24-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #247
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper

Well said mate, I agree.

One of the reasons I didn't get my license until I was in my mid 20s was because I understand the damage something weighing a tonne or more can do if you lose control of it, even if it's 'only' at 50km/h. Also I didn't want to be in control of such a potentially lethal machine until I was 100% sure I was ready. I think that if more people had this sort of attitude, the roads could be a much safer place. I also know and understand that I have a lot left to learn, and would never claim that I am the 'perfect' driver.
Old 24-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #248
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor
Nobody knows their limits or their cars limits until they have exceeded them, by then its to late to argue the point. You cant put an old head on young shoulders,and it seems a few people have reached their limits on this thread, I hope they realise they have found them.
That about sums it up.

Closed Thread