Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-08-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
TIC-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU3 XR8 on LPG ?

With fuel prices going through the roof is it worth installing an LPG system. I'm aware that it's a performance car, however the current fuel prices are giving me the s! $1.26 for unleaded and much more for premium, LPG is $0.46.

Would you convert?

TIC-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
jspec_sti

ouch, no way! :
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

Definitley. LPG is an excellent fuel, and being twice cheaper then petrol doesn't hurt.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
supa eb
1995 EF Futura

Straight gas would be more the way to go for a v8. Dual-fuel (gas and petrol) is more for everyday family cars. An xr8 is NOT meant to be a family car. If you were to run it on gas alone, raise the compression and have it tuned for gas, she'd run really well, give you great performance and be pretty cheap to run. From what I've read, running on lpg causes less engine wear then petrol. I'm not sure how much more it'd cost to convert to straight gas, rather than dual-fuel, but it's definitely worth a look. However, if your AU is a family car and you're not after performance, dual-fuel is certainly a good option, even though she won't give you as much power.
supa eb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

[QUOTE=supa eb]running on lpg causes less engine wear then petrol./QUOTE]

actually its quite the oposite, that is why factory gass engines have hardened valves as gas simply doesnt have the lubricating characteristics as petrol does.

if you must, streight gas is the only way, but expect a loss in power
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
Why should you expect a loss in power?
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
jspec_sti

Replace the egg beater (RX7) with an economical buzzbox (gassed up Pintara perhaps sorry couldn't resist Steffo) and for God's sake leave the XR8 alone! Converting it to gas is about as bad as following the Poms in The Ashes...
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=EF_Dave]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supa eb
running on lpg causes less engine wear then petrol./QUOTE]

actually its quite the oposite, that is why factory gass engines have hardened valves as gas simply doesnt have the lubricating characteristics as petrol does.

Pull yourself into the 21st century! ALL cars these days, that run on ULP, already have hardened valve seats. Older motors than ran on Super (Leaded) didn't have hardened valve seats as the lead in the petrol helped to protect the valve seats and generally lubricate the system.

About the only difference between a straight gas motor and a ULP motor these days would be compression ratio, spark plugs and possibly thermostat.

Having said that, if you go the traditional mixer in the intake pipe method, you WILL lose a heap of power (approx 10 to 15%), but if it's an AU3, then you will still be left with as much power as an AU1 (roughly). I would go straight gas as it's the only way to maximise the engine tune - dual fuel is always a compromise on tune as the tune needs to be different for petrol and gas.

Steffo - what the hell is twice cheaper? Do you mean less than half? Where the hell did you/do you go to school, and what language do they teach there? LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

[QUOTE=EF_Dave]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supa eb
running on lpg causes less engine wear then petrol./QUOTE]

LPG causes valvetrain wear (generally in older cars), sure, but it also increases oil life. Petrol contaminates the oil, leading to lesser oil life, and dirtier oil.

And why should there be a power loss? Bump the compression and adjust ignition timing.. and there should be a power increase if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
Why should you expect a loss in power?
You shouldn't, its just a popular myth about LPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Steffo - what the hell is twice cheaper? Do you mean less than half? Where the hell did you/do you go to school, and what language do they teach there? LOL.
Haven't you ever heard of colloquial English.. or put more simply.. slang? Or do you expect absolute perfection?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Steffo - I have, and yes I was having a laugh. I just wasn't really sure what you meant!

When you do an LPG conversion that mixes the gas in the air intake tubing, you will lose power as you are restricting the intake from 75mm down to about 50mm, therefore reducing the available fuel/air mixture. Also, you cannot advance the timing etc on an AU1/2/3 XR8 - not without a chip of some sort. So, if all you are doing is a "traditional" LPG conversion, you will lose power. But there are ways to get the power back - at additional expense, of course (or should that be half cheaper, LOL).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

And why should there be a power loss? Bump the compression and adjust ignition timing.. and there should be a power increase if anything.
a power loss is because a lpg carby needs to use a smaller throttle to suck the gas through, and wont flow nearly the same as a 70mm throttle body. GRA throttlebodys/carbys are under 60mm diameter.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #12
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
LPG causes valvetrain wear (generally in older cars), sure, but it also increases oil life. Petrol contaminates the oil, leading to lesser oil life, and dirtier oil.
Gas contaminates the oil too, just because it looks clean doesn't mean it is.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I reckon dual fuel would just spoil the car and spend more on conversion than you would save in quite a while.

A proper performance lpg only set up would be very nice but there are few people who can do it well and they cahrge well for the work and parts.

Seriously if you can't afford the fuel for a V8 sell it and buy a cheap to run dogbox car for a couple grand or better still a bike (motorcycle that is) to run around in and use the XR as a weekend warrior. Cost you about the same really when you add it all up.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

This is a conspiracy.
GAS Is great. I think the only reason people say you should not use it is because they are trying to protect the secret.
I am yet to come accross a person who has gas and thinks it is bad. I am also yet to see anyone remove gas from a car, because they dont like it.
Do it. You will feel like you are getting away with something everytime you fill up.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #15
Steve_T

Get yourself one of these setups...

www.gas-injection.com

!!
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
This is a conspiracy.
GAS Is great. I think the only reason people say you should not use it is because they are trying to protect the secret.
I am yet to come accross a person who has gas and thinks it is bad. I am also yet to see anyone remove gas from a car, because they dont like it.
Do it. You will feel like you are getting away with something everytime you fill up.
With the currnet price of fuel and in recent times if u bought a car on LPG why the hell would u remove it? but i think ppl that drive (well most) LPG powered cars look 4 them in the begining i agree LPG is cheap but after owning 2 cars on lpg id never own another
btw it takes about 20000kms or more to re coup ur money forked out 4 the conversion
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
This is a conspiracy.
GAS Is great. will feel like you are getting away with something everytime you fill up.
Right on!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #18
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
You shouldn't, its just a popular myth about LPG.
Is the BF gas falcon having only 157kw while the petrol version has 190kw a myth?
Thats alot of power to lose
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #19
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

why would the BF gas falcon have less power than the BA gas model?
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I think it was the AU EGAS motor that was 157kW .... the BA was close to the 165-170kW mark.

There is a difference between the 2 ... I have an AUII EGAS ute .. and my fiancee's father has a BA MkII EGAS ute ... mine runs well ... but nowhere near as good as the BA ... mine you the BA is having probs with the spark plugs and smooth running comapred to mine.

But hell ... the BA EGAS motor goes pretty damn good ... I was surprised ... much better than the AU EGAS motor
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #21
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think the AU straight gas motor is around 136kW. The BA E-gas is definitely 156kW same as BF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #22
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
But hell ... the BA EGAS motor goes pretty damn good ... I was surprised ... much better than the AU EGAS motor
What the? No way! The BA E-gas felt about as quick as my old 3 speed EA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #23
TIC-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for all the input. I sure stirred things up !
TIC-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
I think the AU straight gas motor is around 136kW. The BA E-gas is definitely 156kW same as BF.
That explains it then ... well it should ... i made 99.xkW at the rear wheels ... so yeah ... sounds right to me
Old 22-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
What the? No way! The BA E-gas felt about as quick as my old 3 speed EA.
Well top-end isn't the best in the BA EGAS ... still better than the AU though.
Low down though ... the BA EGAS has punch though (mind you it is a tray back XL model)
Old 22-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #26
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AU
4.0L Intech Dedicated LPG 6 cyl
Bore and stroke: 92 x 99 mm
Power: 143kW at 4500rpm
Torque: 362Nm at 2750rpm
Overhead camshaft, 2 valves per cylinder
Fuel system: EEC V fuel injection
Compression ratio: 9.6:1
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post