Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Erich

Default LHF Electric Window inop

Anyone had issues with electric window going down but not up, using both drivers side and pass side switches?

I gather the motor may be buggered, as in a little gear or something? Can hear anything when I press the "up" but it does go down fine (currently 1/2 way down)

AU Sedan - S3

Ideas?

cheers

Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Have you tried silicone spray/graphite powder in the rubber runner channels that the window goes up and down in?

Usually a very common problem with a very quick & simple solution - the glass just tends to get stuck to the rubber and needs a bit of a loosening up.

If you need a hand give me a shout, been forever since I caught up with you now that I hardly attend any LANs anymore!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
htennant
Starter Motor

I had a problem like this the other day, only it was both the LHF and LHR windows that were stuck in the down position. When I pressed down I could hear them trying to go down but nothing when i pressed to make them come up.

Tried the following:

- Read a few posts about pressing down 100 times to reset them...nothing happened
- Tried up 100 times...nothing happened
- Took out window switches and cleaned all the black gunk off the contacts...nothing happened
- Swapped the switches with the working ones from the RH side of the car...nothing happened (also tried the non-working switch on the RH side, which worked ok...so nothing wrong with the switches)
- Took the door trim off and tried to "help" the window up...no dice

At this point I gave up and figured the window motors were dead. Wrapped the doors in plastic and began my drive home from the island.

On the way I thought I would just keep pressing the up button (out of frustration) then after a bunch of pressing, all of a sudden the window came back into action. Tried the same thing on the other window...nothing for ages then just sprung back into action again....Really strange as I must have already pressed the buttons hundreds of times when trying to fix them...

I am not sure what happened or what fixed it, all i know is that im aprehensive to put them down again ;)

My advice is to try swapping switches to rule out a contact issue, if its not a contact issue then just keep trying to put them up until they work or you give up.

Good luck!
Heath
htennant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Erich

Thanks Riksta & htennant

I will need to strip the door to have a look. Cant change the switches cos driverside is a double (does drivers and pass) and LH is a single. It could be the LH switch if the power goes through that as the drivers switch for the LH side also does not let it go down

Wanted to silicone the guides anyway - will advise tomorrow - cheers ;)
Old 18-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

99 times out of 100 it'll be the switches
you can just turn the plugs around, they're universal
Old 21-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Erich

Tried different switches - no good. Cleaned em as well - just to make sure before looking further

Looking at the wiring and using a Multimeter, all the power goes to the switch itself. There is then 2 wires that go to the motor. Activating the button puts 12 volts on 1 wire the press the switch the other way, 12 volts to the other wire (up and down). So - to me, I recon the motor is buggered (motor is out as well). I can feel the motor try and work going down but nothing when trying to press up.
Old 21-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I took my switches apart and cleaned the connectors ... Its a common problem with the AU's ..... Also I had something very bad happen to my Passanger front window. I had problems with it going up. then I put it down, and the motor worked and I could hear it but the window stayed up. I though "HRMM" then I hit a bump in the road and my window dropped through the bottom into the door.... Didn't shatter but scratched the out of my tint. What happened was the Glue disolved that held the window into the arms..... Im still like "WTF!?"
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is`nt the reset thing 33 times up and 33 down?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Erich

I tried that but the motor is getting the voltage so the switch and the wiring to the motor is ok.

Being 2 wires, I would say 1 is and earth and the other power to go up then it reverses in the opposite direction (motor works backwards. I can hear noises trying to go down but no noise trying to go up