Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
black mamba
harsh but fair

Default coolant / radiator

anyone aware of radiators leaking and coolant mixing with trans fluid? - only noticed it today on my girlfriends 2003 BA. Despite new coolant being put in about 3 weeks ago, its now an orange colour. No point getting pressure test done on radiator, i'm sure it's leaking , just the color of the coolant worries me.

black mamba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hey mate
you might want to put this in the b-series section rather than the AU one

and yes, there is a known fault with the b-series where the division breaks between the trans fluid and coolant in the radiator and can mean some very expensive work, most notibly new trans. Have it looked at asap and expect $$$.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
black mamba
harsh but fair

will do cheers. Doesn't sound good.
black mamba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Getting more common every day now BA's are getting older

I have had it a few times, new radiator, new coolant, thoroughly drain tranny oil and you may get away with it like I did

Other people new gearbox

Speed is the key here
Is the gearbox playing up yet?
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear that mate. had mine do the same, 2000 grand for a reco box. when you get it fixed put a remote trans cooler on it.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Or if you can ... see if you can get a BF setup where the transcooler is not inside the radiator ... and just the heatsink on the side of the engine block.

I much better setup indeed ... and you can still go an external trans cooler from there as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Copper/Brass oil coolers in ADRAD radiators havent failed (to my knowledge)... the aluminium oil coolers let go to easily from the AU onwards...

My suggestion, upgrade the radiator (ensure you get a copper/brass trans cooler), and get the gearbox thorougly checked for possible damage.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

BF setup not much different, can still leak water into coolant if you get a dud heat exchanger.

Keep inhibitor levels up in the water helps

My failures have all happened over 300000km so cant whinge about that
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post