Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Default Drag racing an AUIII XR8

Hey guys and girls.

I live in a small victorian town where they hold 2 annual off street drag days and 3 burn out comps per year. I aquired a 2002 XR8 auto, its done a tidy 200,000km a few months ago and have been toying with the idea of taking it down the track.

I was hoping for ideas on what to do to help prepare the car, and for ideas of anthing i should keep an eye on incase it might be something i need to watch.

Cheers doug

Old 24-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

condition of the auto, maybe give it a full service and a flush, the condition off the diff as well, condition of the engine, give it a full service as well, basically the whole drive train,

just do a major service and a check over before going to have some fun,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRF44D
Hey guys and girls.

I live in a small victorian town where they hold 2 annual off street drag days and 3 burn out comps per year. I aquired a 2002 XR8 auto, its done a tidy 200,000km a few months ago and have been toying with the idea of taking it down the track.

I was hoping for ideas on what to do to help prepare the car, and for ideas of anthing i should keep an eye on incase it might be something i need to watch.

Cheers doug
Ditch the single 2.5" exhaust if you are serious about good times. Stall it up at about 1600rpm and flash it higher just before leaving the line.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Get a large tranny cooler or you will kill the fluid stalling up. A 3k stall and some 3.9 dif ratios would help heaps. If it still ain't fast enough throw a 150hp shot threw a nitros fogger. Also Ditch the airbox for a pod and remove the passenger side high beam at the track when you remove the cat back. Some m/t et2's would be ideal for rubber. And remove the wing there's enough grip on a strip there's no need for the extra downforce. Goes without saying you should ditch as much weight as possible (spare wheel, Jack, passenger seat and excessive fuel. (have atleast a 1/4 tank or it will surge))
Old 25-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Your car doesnt have to be fast to be fun.
Just make sure its serviced, and is free of leaks.
It would be wise to have a Transmission cooler though, it will stop your gearbox heating up too much when you are stalling at the start line.
To launch, simply give it full brake, and start pushing down the accelerator until it gets to around 1700rpm, when it gets to 1700, just hold it there, and when you see the last orange light, take your foot off the brake, and mash the throttle, all in one motion.
It might help if you let a bit of preesure out of your rear tyres, to say 28 psi.
Hope this helps you a bit.
Old 25-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

monty is on to it. how fast you go is purely how much money you spend, so just service and have some fun. too many people get all these mods and carry on about how quick there cars are and never even go to the drags.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post