Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
So you're suggesting that a device that alerts a driver that allows him to slow from infinity to the legal limit is a good thing?

Given the speed that have been clocked by morons and reported on the road recently, would you be happy with motorists driving at 120kph past your child's school where no police were policing?
What makes you think these morons would have a radar detector? More than likely it would be someone who depends on their licence for thier work. One more thing, the year following the banning of them in NSW the road toll increased. And as has been said you can drive at 120k through a school zone and it isnt deemed to be as great an offence as owning a radar detector, go figure.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #32
xfsound
Starter Motor

Spewing
Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #33
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

Quote:
So you're suggesting that a device that alerts a driver that allows him to slow from infinity to the legal limit is a good thing?

Given the speed that have been clocked by morons and reported on the road recently, would you be happy with motorists driving at 120kph past your child's school where no police were policing?
That's a mighty big brush you've got there.

If some moron is going to speed at 120kph past a school, they'll do it whether they've got a radar detector or not. AFAIK police don't even need a speed readout to book you for dangerous driving.

I don't have a radar detector. In the past eight years I've had two driving infringements: one on the freeway doing the same speed as everyone else in the same lane, and one on a bypass road at night with no other traffic on the road.

A radar detector could have alerted me to pay more attention to my speed and saved me $300, total. Given the cost of the unit in the first place though, I'd still be out of pocket.

But, given the sneeky tactics used by some police and camera contractors, and given that they are still legal to buy and use in WA (for the moment), I am definately considering buying one.

I rarely speed anyway, but it's good for the little man to feel he has a chance against a system that tries so hard to keep the deck stacked in it's own favour.

As for the carpark doughnuts, that's just sheer stupidity.

Cheers

:

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #34
InTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351

VE

Aaaaggh my eyes..... pain.. slowly.. subsiding..

Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #35
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Quote:

If the driver was stupid and was doing a speed way over the limit they would know that they would still get caught as the radar detector doesn't give that much of a warning.
I've found most of the time going through school zones that the ones speeding are the parents picking up there kids.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #36
DaveGod
Your not Ron

Quote:

The point of a detector is so you slow down? The government want us to slow down yes? Iam assuming these devices will detect the speed cameras that are hidden away nicely? Like in the back of ordinary station wagons, wheelie bins etc. So you would slow down with this device (whether speeding or not just like most ppl do when they see a police car). So this device would slow you down driving past a hidden speed camera where you would not normally slow down having greater risk of causing armagedon because your going 5klms over or whatever. So in these instances which i would say would be far greater (esspecially living in a city area) then actually seeing a police car on the road. And would do more good by slowing you down and preventing said distruction because speed kills and all the other rubbish.

Because the general alternative to a device like this that causes you to slow down, is to keep on going your current speed and getting a fine in the mail 3 weeks later. And we all know those letters save lives right?

PS. Dont twist my words and make me sound like iam saying its ok to speed or that you are good toshoes and never speed. But someone gets some statistics on how many people do speed (speeding fines) then see how many of them are bu cameras (which do not save lives unless in signed in dangerous areas IMO). Then think to see whether all those people would have slowed down at that point if they had a detector?? Something to think about.
Old 13-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #37
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It shows the true governement mind set.

Possession of a radar detector is a far greater crime that 30km/h over the limit in a school zone at 3pm or running a red light or not wearing a seat belt or not putting your baby in a capsule AND doing burnouts in an empty car park at night is a greater crime than drink driving or driving under the influence of a drug or driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle.

And they wonder why there is so much contempt for them and their laws.....

Australian LAW:

Kill someone or steal money from a private organisation and they will try and look for you if it is not too hard and they have some spare time between speed camera duties.

Interfere with potential government revenue and they will hunt you until the end of the universe......
That old saying comes to mind "don't steal, the government doesn't like competition!".
Old 13-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak
A radar detector could have alerted me to pay more attention to my speed and saved me $300, total. Given the cost of the unit in the first place though, I'd still be out of pocket.
It would have alerted you to pay more attention while police were checking speed in the area, nothing more. You can't hold it up as a public safety device because of those 20 seconds it made you check your speed.

I would suggest in many cases, a radar detector allows those who own one to drive with impunity with regards to speed limits when it's not alerting you to police presence and take care on the 1% of the time you're behind the wheel and police are checking speed.

I'm not arguing the rights of wrongs of current road laws but I don't buy the safety aspect of a radar detector that people trot out when it comes up.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #39
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGod
The point of a detector is so you slow down? The government want us to slow down yes? Iam assuming these devices will detect the speed cameras that are hidden away nicely? Like in the back of ordinary station wagons, wheelie bins etc. So you would slow down with this device (whether speeding or not just like most ppl do when they see a police car). So this device would slow you down driving past a hidden speed camera where you would not normally slow down having greater risk of causing armagedon because your going 5klms over or whatever. So in these instances which i would say would be far greater (esspecially living in a city area) then actually seeing a police car on the road. And would do more good by slowing you down and preventing said distruction because speed kills and all the other rubbish.

Because the general alternative to a device like this that causes you to slow down, is to keep on going your current speed and getting a fine in the mail 3 weeks later. And we all know those letters save lives right?
The point of a radar detector is to slow you down before you get pinged with fines and demerits, not act as a community service safety device. If motorists without these 'safety' devices installed, merrily passed speed cameras above the posted limit then most of us would be without valid drivers licences.

The alternative is to obey the limits at all times and not receiving the fine in the mail 3 weeks later.

I'm no saint and there are times I'm over the limit but I'd say 95+% of my driving is at or under the limit. I just assume there's a cop or a camera over each crest and drive accordingly. Received 1 speeding fine in 20 years - sans radar detector.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #40
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
The point of a radar detector is to slow you down before you get pinged with fines and demerits, not act as a community service safety device. If motorists without these 'safety' devices installed, merrily passed speed cameras above the posted limit then most of us would be without valid drivers licences.

The alternative is to obey the limits at all times and not receiving the fine in the mail 3 weeks later.

I'm no saint and there are times I'm over the limit but I'd say 95+% of my driving is at or under the limit. I just assume there's a cop or a camera over each crest and drive accordingly. Received 1 speeding fine in 20 years - sans radar detector.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #41
dilox
Starter Motor

Well look at it this way.. he wont be clocking the Km's on it
dilox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #42
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTrail
Aaaaggh my eyes..... pain.. slowly.. subsiding..

Yep, hard to believe after looking at those 2 interiors that the dunnydore still outsells the Falcon : : : :
Old 13-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #43
XD.XG.XR6.XR8
Starter Motor

Am I the only one that thinks its a bit funny losing your car for 3 months but your licence for six months. You lose you car but what does that matter when you can't drive it anyway. Just a thought.
XD.XG.XR6.XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #44
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

You would be suprised how many people drive whist disqualified like nothing has happened probably drive to the motor registry at the end of their time to pick up their licence aswell........

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #45
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
its next door to Bathurst ............ and bloody cold
My wagon broke down(snowing hard at night) in that exact car park although a bit closer to woolies.

Looks like another trip to see Mr Leahey for a new FPV....