Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Default Fuel Filter problem

Giving my uterus a service and some loving trying to get rid of a rough idle (which I have accomplished : ) I've come across another problem while trying to change the fuel filter.

I managed to get one end off fine (engine side) with no problems but the rear end (entry) fuel line just will not budge. I've tried and tried and sprayed it with rp7/crc but all the happens is the spanner starts rounding it off without the nut budging at all.
Yes Ive got a spanner on the filter also before anyone asks! And for those that dont know the ute filter is the same as IRS AU's.

I have a feeling it is the original fuel filter (Ute is 2000 AU2 XLS 117xxxkms) as it is pretty rusty and banged up. But it might not be and just look that way because it gets dirty alot and lived up north where its pretty harsh before I got the ute.

Any help and tips on getting it off without breaking anything would be muchly appreciated!!

Also trying to change the serpentine belt and can not get the tension pulley to budge even with the 3/8 ratchet/bar in it like my service manual says. Any tips?

crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

as for fuel filter, give it a few gentle taps with hammer to loosen it, then use pipe spanners to undo it. try not to round the nut. also found giving the pipe spanner a few gentle taps with hammer can loosen it. as for serpentine belt 3/8 bar with a pipe over it, it takes a little bit of pressure to move em (btw do not push the wrong way :p)
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also see http://www.rycofilters.com.au/librar...73_fitment.pdf
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Thanks guys will give it another shot tomorrow.

EvilChief: I had thought of the hammer this arvo when I tried again but I hit my head on the fuel tank and cracked the shirts...Hitting your eyebrow twice hurts haha
And Ill try not to push the wrong way haha if all else fails Ill cut the bloody belt off!

Cheers for the link Blue! I retightened the "out" side exactly as that said so have no concerns about that one. Hopefully can get it off tomorrow. Shes running sweet now but a new filter can only help more!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Managed to get it. hooray. Ended up smashing it with a hammer a few times and using a set of vice grips on it. Was still a strugle. Ended up with the old man trying and he got it after a hell of alot of effort too. But its changed and all sweet.

Also got the belt changed. Biggest pain in the butt putting it back on the tension pulley! Thank god I wont have to do that again anytime soon!

Next on the list is gearbox oil and diff oil which is pretty easy thank god! Then maybe a BA engine with a turbo.....yeah yeah wishfull thinking haha

Thanks for the advice guys!