Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #31
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
Steffo, not having a stab mate ;), but go out and test your theories, rather than falling back too much on internet browsing or hear-say to back you up. You'll find many people will experience different things, and no testing can cancel out all unwanted variables.
Have done so. I have a mate who used to fill his Pulsar with 98 RON, all the time. A stock 1.8litre one.. what are they.. 90kW? Well, put 91 RON in it once, cheaper, was there a difference in revs or performance? None at all. And it was actually a tad more economical.

Same thing in our old Econovan Maxi (and it was carb too). Same thing in my grandfather's crappy Hyundai Accent. And same thing in the Town Ace my dad drives now.

The only which the manufacturer recommends regular in, that I have personally seen benefit from premium is my uncle's VY SS Ute.

Everyone's experience if obviously different, but from everything I have read, heard and seen, putting 98 RON into a car that doesn't need it is pointless. My two cents. Take it for what its worth.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

So you change the fuel yet don't touch the timing? Of course there isn't going to be a difference. The SS would of got an increase because the ECU advanced the timing. Or didn't Wheels tell you that?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #33
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting read, but Ill keep filling up with premium
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #34
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
No fuel we buy at the pump is going to make the engine cleaner. No fuel is filtered perfectly...................

That's why I add a cup of Rinso every time I fill the tank!!!!!!!

(ummm don try this at home folks...)

Take the hint steffo! What you have been told by your family and friends about the behavior of their automotive oddities, or your own readings of snippets on the net from howstuffworks.com, are not necessarily gospel, nor the absolute truth.

If you take the definitive on every opinion you may glean and dismiss as tripe opposing opinions, then you will get your credential tested. This topic both here and in previous threads has seen a variety of opinions and experiences.
I've seen gains other have not it doesn't make either of us wrong.

You don't have to change your opinions but with little or no real world experience you'd be well advised to take a softer stance when questioning the ideas or opinions of others!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #35
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
So you change the fuel yet don't touch the timing? Of course there isn't going to be a difference. The SS would of got an increase because the ECU advanced the timing. Or didn't Wheels tell you that?
Was putting to test the common theory (and what the petrol company adds would have us believe) that premium fuel is better in all situations, in those small cars and the van. And yes, I know why the SS benefited from it.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #36
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I think the 91 v's 98 arguments have been done to death now guys.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #37
Psycho Chicken
Banned

So what does that prove? Fuel companies are full of crap? Tell us something we don't know.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #38
Barry_v
rocknrolla

for the record, I have run the DC on BP Ultimate. I actually got less km to the tank than i had the week before on cheapo fuel with the same driving. You cant say i didnt try it!

I havnt felt the need to try advancing the timing and repeating the experiment... i really dont think there are substantial gains to be had.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #39
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

I've filled up the EA with BP Ultimate as well, didn't notice any difference.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #40
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
I've filled up the EA with BP Ultimate as well, didn't notice any difference.
You shouldn't be using damp matches, that's your problem.. ......................................... Well one of your problems.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #41
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Have done so. I have a mate who used to fill his Pulsar with 98 RON, all the time. A stock 1.8litre one.. what are they.. 90kW? Well, put 91 RON in it once, cheaper, was there a difference in revs or performance? None at all. And it was actually a tad more economical.
That's fine mate, i know everyone has different experiences with this stuff, and wanted to know if you had first hand experiences to stand as well as all the technical stuff. I have had the exact opposite results to you in all cases, but my brother informed today that his VP V6 is no different between fuels like you and some have said, but does get better economy on the premium stuff. Guess every motor is different eh.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #42
gozza

i put at least 95 in my eb ocasionaly 98
i read the reply about the egg smell if the octane is too high and my thing damn well stinks at times.....but on the same note it runs smoother..i get more k's if i drive like a granny and its more responsive..i realy don't know wat to think except that i don't give a crap unless its detrimental..
btw how easy is it to advance your timing??
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #43
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys need to make a table, and do the calculations. See how many kms your are getting from your tank on different types of petrol. Do it for a few tanks, then try a different type of petrol. Get the average of them, and calculate your fuel consumption. Try and drive the same as you did on the other tanks, and then calculate whether the extra money is worth it for your car. Every car is different, but my car definately runs smoother and feels better, and is worth putting premium in.

As for Boost 98, i can't say, haven't tried it..
Old 11-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #44
FordFan86
meow

I'm happy sticking the 95 RON stuff (caltex or liberty stuff) in it, seems to like it, revs' out a bit quicker... slighty more mileage
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #45
TuMor
its not a!

all this damn reading!!!

So fussed about clean burning economical fuels???

CONVERT TO GAS!
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #46
hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

Do you have the back to back dyno print outs to prove there was no performance difference? Seat of the pant dyno (tm) cannot tell if there is a difference or not under about 15kw from memory. No, premium or 98RON will not give you 15kw difference. I couldn't feel the 2rwkw gain i achieved by using a high quality synthetic oil, backed up by back to back dyno runs on the same dyno.

And my manual says 91RON, however I run it on 95RON most of the time, and 98RON when i can be stuffed driving the 40km round trip to buy it (I live in the country). I usually run 98RON before the drags. However I'm also running 15degrees extra base timing, so me engine DOES take advantage of it. Without the higher octane fuels, my car detonates and my timing is reduced by the ECU.