Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
AuForteFan
Long Live the AU Falcon

Talking AU Falcon Questions - For Newbie

First things first,new to the forums,names George, been obsessed with the AU since 98, now that I'm 21 I'm looking at buying the car I most admire. And I'm not that picky when it comes to the AU, ANY AU Sedan will do for me,series I,II,III etc,love'em all.

I'm looking at buying either a Forte or Futura ( Fairmont if I'm lucky,then a T series in the future ); And I want it as Stock as possible.

While browsing around used car sites, I noticed plenty of Au's with high KMs, ex taxis?, anyway, the prices are generally low for a 200,000k AU, whats the risk with buying a car with over 200k on the clock, I know this could be for all used cars in general, but anything specific for the AU?, I read the engines are really strong, how about the AU gearboxes?

~

Will AU Falcon prices continue to fall in 2010?, or should I just buy one before the year ends?, my budget is around 2-7 thousand.

~

Does Anyone have an estimate of how many AUs were sold during its life time? ( fun facts for me )

~

Plenty of AUs on the used car market I noticed have damaged paint,scratches etc; Lets say I do buy one, that needs a serious repaint, how much would a repaint go for, and would it be possible to respray it in original AU colour? ( official AU colour is what I want,not custom )

~

My goal is to have a very clean,in the end a great condition AU Falcon ( if im buying one that's not in great shape ), generally Stock; And I will not sell it,planing to keep it forever even if I buy a new car in the future. AUs for keeps. My Dream garage is to have a Standard AU Sedan,a AU XR and a T series.

That's all for now; Cheers.

AuForteFan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
While browsing around used car sites, I noticed plenty of Au's with high KMs, ex taxis?, anyway, the prices are generally low for a 200,000k AU, whats the risk with buying a car with over 200k on the clock, I know this could be for all used cars in general, but anything specific for the AU?, I read the engines are really strong, how about the AU gearboxes?
200k's is nothing for an au engine. Ask if the gearbox has been serviced every 30 000, and when the last flush was, when driving it, see how it feels.
A rebuild is worth up to $1800, with a service around $130 and a service and flush around $300. A Transmission cooler is also a good investment which is around $200 fitted.

Quote:
Will AU Falcon prices continue to fall in 2010?, or should I just buy one before the year ends?, my budget is around 2-7 thousand.
Just buy one, they will always fall more.

Quote:
Does Anyone have an estimate of how many AUs were sold during its life time? ( fun facts for me )
270xxx

Quote:
Plenty of AUs on the used car market I noticed have damaged paint,scratches etc; Lets say I do buy one, that needs a serious repaint, how much would a repaint go for, and would it be possible to respray it in original AU colour? ( official AU colour is what I want,not custom )
A cheap one can be had from $800, a nice good proper one around $4000. You can get it in any colour you want, just remember if you want to keep costs low, keep it the same colour, and you wont have to do eignie bay and door jambs.
Old 23-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
AuForteFan
Long Live the AU Falcon

cheers mate for the help, I'll be buying one real soon then,ill update once I make my purchase.

A rebuild was supposed to be a question of mine that I forgot to put in,thanks again; All the costs are looking to be quite nice and cheaper than I expected, Wooo
Old 23-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
whiskers
gone fishing

go for it mate, you should be able to pick yourself one up for a good price. I've had my 99 s1 forte since new. and I haven't looked back the old girl has 270k and has hardly missed a beat.

It's also stock as a rock
Old 23-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Imo get the series II, they're superior and better value for money, and a better car.
Unless it's got over half a mil on the clock, it wouldn't be an ex-cab.
Spend 5 grand, get a mint AUII/AUIII.
Old 23-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Jimmyd
Banned

I've personally seen AU's clock over the million k mark without opening the engine; Taxis would get 300-400,000 out of an auto but had coolers fitted and fluid flushed every 50,000.

AU1 is fine if you are not going to push it hard - otherwise brakes can be a problem. If you go with the AU1 try for a post update April 99 model, lower ride height, smartshield, etc

You should be able to find a clean, stock standard AU Futura, Fairmont or even a Fairmont Ghia (mmmm, IRS & VCT engine plus creature comforts) with full service history and less than 200k for that sort of money particularly if you are prepared to hunt down private sales (Carsguide.com.au & Carsales.com.au are your friends.....)
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

i bought my au11 futura for 6500 ex gov only 3months now the best thing i ever did.

but like others have said go s11 and up that way you know that all the slight imperfections of the s1 have been delt with.

good luck.

Last edited by au11futura; 23-06-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: shpelling
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

OH OH........Buy my Forte http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11261266

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Actually for $5700 that's a pretty good deal mick
Old 23-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Actually for $5700 that's a pretty good deal mick
Agreed. If I needed a run around, that's what I would get.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

And yet not a nibble Mr Hardware............I`m not too serious about selling it. Its only on Gumtree/Aussie Car Sales and I havent even got a for sale sign on it yet.

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 24-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
AuForteFan
Long Live the AU Falcon

I'll check your AU for sale right now Mick; A question on buying cars out of state though, how would that be done?, I'm in Sydney NSW.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I'm now looking at SII and SIII's now ( I still wouldn't mind a SI though :P )

Also glad to know the engines in the AU are really strong, gives me a lot of confidence.

Another Question though... lets say I do buy an AU, with 200ks+ but theres nothing wrong with the engine, if I'm still under budget and I have money for the engine rebuild, will there be any notable difference?, is it recommended or is there other better options to spend the money. I want my AU in top shape.

Last edited by AuForteFan; 24-06-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 24-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

I wouldnt worry about an engine rebuild.
If something is seriously wrong you can pick a low K (in the 100 000k range) engine from the wreckers for about $350.
Old 24-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
AuForteFan
Long Live the AU Falcon

yeah?; even more good news for me haha, cheers mate.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

[QUOTE=AuForteFan]I'll check your AU for sale right now Mick; A question on buying cars out of state though, how would that be done?, I'm in Sydney NSW.

Im coming back through from Gilgandra/Talbingo/Canberra/Kiama on the 3rd of July after our snow holiday in the Falcon. Pm me if you would like to see the car. I will bring the full service historys if you like.

Not sure on NSW Motor Sale requirements but am willing to do work with you for the sale. Price is FIRM now as I have already dropped to my minumum as you can see from the FS thread.

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

these engines are the cream when it comes to do heaps of k's

eg: my mates xf-over 300,000 k's
dads el- over 250,000 k's
my ed - 290,000 k's
my AU11- 150,000 k's

all still going very strong but just keep up with the services and the little things and these motors will outlive you.

they are the ultimate taxis. mate from one George to another.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
Mr Hardware

My motor has 664k on it, unopened, still going strong.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum!

I would save until you can get the car you want, in the colour you want. Don't rush in. There are AUs for sale everywhere.

If I had my time again, I would have bought an XR8 or Fairmont Ghia. Still think about it everytime there's one for sale, which is often! LOL!

Don't buy a S1. Much better brakes to be had on the S2-3. I know, I have a S1 and a S2 and ended up doing an upgrade on the S1. Much better!

S2-3 cars are more pleasing to the eye also. Sad but true, Ford botched the look of the Forte.

The engines are great. You've already been given very good advice on that and the fact that autos should be serviced yearly.

Spend some more time here learning lots about the great AU, and you will soon see that they're awesome value for money and are great to work on.

All the best with your deliberations.

Check this one.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11264284

Lovely!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyHubcap
OH OH........Buy my Forte http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11261266

Cheers
Mick

this one is a great example of a great au to buy dirt cheap as well for the k's its done.

PimpMyHubcap credit to you for looking after it.

if i hadn't bought my futura id would of bought yours.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #20
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Gk is right lots of great advise here mate do some shopping around you'll deff find the one you want pleanty out there.

remember monty, futura, forte, whatever you get you can always count on the forums to help.
Old 24-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

I bought my AUII for $7500 in August last year with only 112000kms on the odo, no marks scratches was owned by an old bloke. Best car I have owned
jcto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #22
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Hey buddy, my Fairmont has just clocked over 360,000kms and engine is still like a dream, as already stated service regularly and they will be your best friend. There are some really good bargains around at the moment too!

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #23
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

T-Series cars are cheap for what they are at the moment, especially T1 and T2. I bought my T2 TE50 at most a year ago and am 21 myself.

Mine is a 220kw 5.0 litre/Auto with over 220,000 k's on it and runs like a dream. Admittedly I've had a new radiator and hoses fitted (as a precaution) and had my engine mount replaced (common on 'driven' V8's).
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post