Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

Default Know Any Good Mechanics?

Hi,
i've had an AU motor sitting around for 2years now, and now that my ED Motor has finally given up the ghost... ghost meaning it is now officially off the road. The Au motor is sitting up at my partners brothers place, waiting to be rebuilt... which is supposed to start this weekend... Now the drama i seem to be having atm is that i don't know where i can find a mechanic that has done this before that is fairly close to Geelong... because i need to get it put in as i'm not doing it myself anymore, mainly because the people who were going to help me, ditched the idea, and they were the ones who knew what they were doing.
So if aybody knows of a mechanic that is decent, not a rip off and has experience with fords or conversions that would be so helpful...
Tash

Old 17-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
nb_351
building the xe...

if you were in sydney or i was in melbourne i could help, its not that hard to do...
a little bit of work, theres some threads on here somewhere about it...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

Yeah i've read the threads over and over that i can find, scoured through other information. I'm still going through them, trying to figure out what else i need or if i've forgotten something. OED666 was really helpful 2 years ago when i started this, but i lost most of that information when i gave the printouts to someone who was going to help, and then they didn't and they never gave them back, and my education email got closed because i no longer work for them.
At the moment, i'm starting to worry about the bellhousing, as i have a manual and i read in another thread that i need an au bellhousing to line up the bolts from the sump, otherwise i can't use 2 of the bolts... how true? and will the sensors fit into the AU motor from my old motor? or will i need to get new ones, and how many of them are there? and multiple other things i think, but i can't think quite yet as i am studying for exams so i'm a little in lala land when it comes to my car. Otherwise i cry when i think about it, coz i love my car... and it's sad that she's sitting all alone and doesn't work...
Old 18-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
FPV GT40
Banned

Just keep in mind that fitting the AU motor to the ED will make all pollution and emission laws of the AU apply to the ED.

So whatever Astralian design rules (ADR's such as noise, pollution, crash safety ratings, body shell strength, braking etc ect) apply to the AU will also apply to the ED once the AU motor goes into it. And I doubt that the ED will comply with the rules, and will be able to meet the criteria without spending mega $$$ in epa testing etc etc.

So there for the car will not be able to be legally registered.

Just something to think about before you go too much further.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
GeoNazi
Banned

Were are you located at?
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
ottoS13
Rat

sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone also recommend me somewhere in melbourne that would have knowledge with xp's?
Old 18-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
ebayholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
Just keep in mind that fitting the AU motor to the ED will make all pollution and emission laws of the AU apply to the ED.

So whatever Astralian design rules (ADR's such as noise, pollution, crash safety ratings, body shell strength, braking etc ect) apply to the AU will also apply to the ED once the AU motor goes into it. And I doubt that the ED will comply with the rules, and will be able to meet the criteria without spending mega $$$ in epa testing etc etc.

I didnt know that, but then if it was such an issue why do so many people do the conversion?
ebayholic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

Thew reson so many people do teh conversion is because it's not illegal to do it. Because the AU block is the same as the ED, i already spoke to my insurance company about it, they looked into what sort of brakes i need, and whether or not i need an engineers, also looked into emissions. and it's fine. They will still insure my car and a friend that has a lot to do with Vic Roads being a police officer asked them about it, and they said that the exhaust is the same as AU's, and all i need to do is put better brakes on because i'm putting an XR6 in, otherwise i wouldn't need to.
I'm located near Geelong GeoNazi
Old 20-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
ebayholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaED
all i need to do is put better brakes on because i'm putting an XR6 in, otherwise i wouldn't need to.
Interesting so what brakes are you going to use? Gold, slotted discs instead of standard?
ebayholic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

Ive already got slotted rotors, i don't like gold, so nothing on my car will be gold, and i'll probably try an find some el xr6 brakes just coz they are supposed to be bigger. OED666 has got EL GT brakes on his ed with an au motor, so i know it can be done. havn't really researched that part yet... just trying to get my car back on the road, and as long as i don't do anything silly in it, then i wont get pulled over. considering i drive to work an uni, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 20-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
mntxr
Jamie is the name

there is no emssion controls if you use the ed mainfolds
Old 20-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
mntxr
Jamie is the name

i do them nearly every week at work and all you have to do is go to vic roads and say i blew my motor up and put this one in just give them the engine number they print out a new rego sticker for you and yourr set
Old 20-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

Which i am also using... because the clearance from the AU is a bit close for my liking
Old 20-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No, I'm pretty sure that's not right. The ADRs are relevant to the car's chassis number and build date, not the engine. Vic roads don't even record engine numbers any more. All they want to know is if its a standard fitment engine, and the I6 is the same pretty much all the way through. It's an Aussie made Ford 6. That's all they need to know (they'll want the engine No to confirm that it's not stolen and that it's what you say it is, that's all).
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaED
Hi,
i've had an AU motor sitting around for 2years now, and now that my ED Motor has finally given up the ghost... ghost meaning it is now officially off the road. The Au motor is sitting up at my partners brothers place, waiting to be rebuilt... which is supposed to start this weekend... Now the drama i seem to be having atm is that i don't know where i can find a mechanic that has done this before that is fairly close to Geelong... because i need to get it put in as i'm not doing it myself anymore, mainly because the people who were going to help me, ditched the idea, and they were the ones who knew what they were doing.
So if aybody knows of a mechanic that is decent, not a rip off and has experience with fords or conversions that would be so helpful...
Tash
NatashaED, try Johnny Majors in Moolap. Those guys are car nuts. There's nothing they can't do. Don't know about prices though, but it can't hurt to ask.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntxr
i do them nearly every week at work and all you have to do is go to vic roads and say i blew my motor up and put this one in just give them the engine number they print out a new rego sticker for you and yourr set
Yeah i tried that once they came out to look at the car.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
Springfield_Johny

Quote:

Emision/Polution laws will be required to be met from what I understand, and upgrading the brakes is always a good upgrade & in some cases may be required for a higher output motor, but the rest such as body shell strength, crash ratings etc will not.

How many people put E series sixes in their X series falcons? Yes modifications such as petrol fillers have to be modified to only accept the unleaded pumps & anti pollution laws etc but thats it.

Insurance companies decide if they will accept the risk based on legality & how complicated/expensive repairs will be & of course your own circumstances (age, prior accident/claims & traffic history)

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #18
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

I have done a few in my time.
But my workshop in in Wantirna.
You can go the whole hog and swap sumps and timing covers over from the ED motor.
That way you will have a timing pointer too and every thing bolts up perfectly. The AU's timing cover sucks when you put them in ED.
The last one I did, like I said, I swapped the timing cover and sump over but I think the last one was a EL motor come to think of it.

You will have issues with the AU timing cover once you fit the ED crank pulley and all the belts. I think the AU timing pointer needs to be cut off or it'll rub on the air con belt???
In the past I have just used a little bit of wire bent up to mount onto one of the AU's crank sensor mounting bolts to be used as a timing pointer.
I have never used the AU sump before though. I always swap them for the earlier sumps.
If you really get stuck PM me and I may be able to help, but like I said I am a fair way from you.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

Cheers, i'm waiting for it to be built atm, but when i get to putting it in, i may need some info on a few things. I think my boyfriend found someone where we live that will do it, so hopefully by giving him all i can find on it before i want it done, and he will be able to do it...
Old 23-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
No, I'm pretty sure that's not right. The ADRs are relevant to the car's chassis number and build date, not the engine. Vic roads don't even record engine numbers any more. All they want to know is if its a standard fitment engine, and the I6 is the same pretty much all the way through. It's an Aussie made Ford 6. That's all they need to know (they'll want the engine No to confirm that it's not stolen and that it's what you say it is, that's all).
May be Victoria is differnt, I am in NSW, and the ules apply, it is up to the car owner to prove the car complies with all relevant legislation, and all testing will be done at owners expense. Tests such as emissions, breaking distances etc etc, whatever the legislation is, its different for every car and year model, so what applies to one will not appy to others.

Read up about it and you will see it is right, I have been doing this sort of stuff in NSW for over 20 years, and I also deal with it at work on a daily basis. Most things are illegal, but you get away with it till something happens. Imagine the findings of a corroners inquest in the case of a fatal accident running over someone or similar. And who will be found responsible.

Saying I will drive carefully to and from uni will not cut it, how many people do you think go out in the morning and say, well today I might go and get involved in a fatal accident or collision.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #21
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

Very funny, i generally think that's going to happen when i drive anywhere having had my fair share of accidents. However my point was that i would drive stupidly to attract attention. However different rules apply here, it's a 4l engine, so my car complies with the standard...
Old 24-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #22
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

meant to say wouldn't drive stupidly...
Old 24-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #23
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:

not if you run the engine on LPG only no petrol you dont need all the au emissions setup
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post