Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #61
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Going back a few years but Alfie Langer had a Lexus IS200 and Jimmy Barnes a Statesman Caprice.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #62
rocket67

Default Statesman / Caprice seems to be most popular

Anybody notice that the Prime Minister is chauffered around in a WL Caprice?

No idea why he has not upgraded to a WM model. Maybe the WL has some special security features built into it.

Kinda partial to that model myself - good enough for the PM = good enough for me.

Rocket.
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #63
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

andrew symonds 4x4 ranger
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #64
Thankfull
Banned

Some of you may be a bit young to remember the Australian Folk singing group the Seekers...I was only a kid in the late 60s when they had some World wide success with some of their songs.
Judith Duram I think i spelled her name right was the lead singer.
One member of the Group was a fella by the name of Athol Guy or Guy Athol, after all these years I cannot remember which way around his name goes now.

Anyhow about 7/8 years ago the GTHO Phase III he purchased new in 1971 was put up for Sale Online.

Onyx black with the Gold Superoo stripes with Cream Leather interior (Yummy)

From memory it was still the original factory paint on the exterior and in mint condition, the exception was the Engine bay, the car had 80,000ks on the clock and the engine bay showed that.

It still was a car in exceptional condition....by chance does anybody know who purchased it, from memory I think they where asking $100,000-00 for it back then.
(probably worth 3 times that now)

Cheers all
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #65
Thankfull
Banned

Also does any member of this Forum own Bill Bourkes car ?

If so could you post some pics...
Bill Bourke was the managing Director of Ford Australia in the late 60s early 70s.

His XW GT was the only Australian Car to have a factory fitted big block V8 a 428 from memory, and it had an auto trans.

The Last time I saw a pic of this car was in Street Machine magazine in the mid 80s, the owners of the car then gave permission for the car to be photographed as long as no address details where given out.

The Photo in street machine magazine showed Victorian number plates.. THE-428

This of course would be a highly sought after car by enthusiats, the personal ride of the managing director of Ford Australia...during the Muscle car era...which incidently seems to have become reborn in recent years via FPV.

Cheers all
Old 20-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket67
Anybody notice that the Prime Minister is chauffered around in a WL Caprice?

No idea why he has not upgraded to a WM model. Maybe the WL has some special security features built into it.

Kinda partial to that model myself - good enough for the PM = good enough for me.

Rocket.
It is fitted with bullet proof windows and armoured panels. It also has a VERY powerful HSV engine.
A mate of mine was in APS and was for a time on jackboots section. He reckons it goes like the clappers....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #67
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is fitted with bullet proof windows and armoured panels. It also has a VERY powerful HSV engine.
A mate of mine was in APS and was for a time on jackboots section. He reckons it goes like the clappers....
Needs the extra grunt to haul 500kgs of armour plating, not to mention going like the clappers if it comes under fire. I have worked with what was once known as CPP in AFP and those guys don't mess around when they load the subject of their protection in the car and gun it.
Old 21-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #68
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A good friend of mine worked for GM logistics. They shipped several Caprices, Calais & Berlina's to the US and returned via Airfreight no less for the 'security' upgrade.

Lots of senior pollies use them. Prime Ministers, Premiers etc.

You can pick them if you look closely. The black band around the window glass where it meets pillars is much thicker. From memory Jeff Kennett got the 1st one now they are sort of standard issue.

Cheers

T
Old 21-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #69
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
From memory Jeff Kennett got the 1st one now they are sort of standard issue.

Jeff Kennett NEEDED one.........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 04:18 AM   #70
rocket67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
Some of you may be a bit young to remember the Australian Folk singing group the Seekers...I was only a kid in the late 60s when they had some World wide success with some of their songs.
Judith Duram I think i spelled her name right was the lead singer.
One member of the Group was a fella by the name of Athol Guy or Guy Athol, after all these years I cannot remember which way around his name goes now.

Anyhow about 7/8 years ago the GTHO Phase III he purchased new in 1971 was put up for Sale Online.

Onyx black with the Gold Superoo stripes with Cream Leather interior (Yummy)

From memory it was still the original factory paint on the exterior and in mint condition, the exception was the Engine bay, the car had 80,000ks on the clock and the engine bay showed that.

It still was a car in exceptional condition....by chance does anybody know who purchased it, from memory I think they where asking $100,000-00 for it back then.
(probably worth 3 times that now)

Cheers all
Yeah, The Seekers were great. Will never forget their farewell concert on TV, sad day.

Judith Durham was the lead singer and Athol Guy was the one strumming an oversized guitar. ( Don`t know the name of the instrument ).

I am sure that Athol Guy drove an Aston Martin - must be before he had the Ford.

Rocket.
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #71
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket67
Yeah, The Seekers were great. Will never forget their farewell concert on TV, sad day.

Judith Durham was the lead singer and Athol Guy was the one strumming an oversized guitar. ( Don`t know the name of the instrument ).

I am sure that Athol Guy drove an Aston Martin - must be before he had the Ford.

Rocket.
I would say that because of the international success they where enjoying at the time with their music, Athol probably had at least a small stable of performance cars.

Apprently he was a bit of a lad too....if he was driving a new Astin Martin back then...then we should not be surprised to find a GTHO Phase III at the other end of the Garage, in that era

Onyx black with the Gold Superoo stripes with Cream Leather interior, crikey, what a combo !

Cheers
Old 21-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #72
Thankfull
Banned

For those who do not know who the Seekers where.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgXbSUMzR4

One can only imagine the Millions of Young Couples around the World at that time identifying with their Music, leading to their international success.
Australias first Internationaly successfull Band.

Athol Guy is to the Far right playing the big long instrument...it was his GTHO Phase III I was inquiring about in previouse posts in this thread.

Cheers all
Old 21-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #73
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
For those who do not know who the Seekers where.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgXbSUMzR4

One can only imagine the Millions of Young Couples around the World at that time identifying with their Music, leading to their international success.
Australias first Internationaly successfull Band.

Athol Guy is to the Far right playing the big long instrument...it was his GTHO Phase III I was inquiring about in previouse posts in this thread.

Cheers all
What's not commonly known about the Seekers is that they wrote and produced the NewZealand national anthem; "I'll never find another ewe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ga9Bs4fzSY

Quote: