Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default private care sales

hey everybody, just wondering what the market is like in the private sales during this "economic cliamte" I Have a a 4cly auto roadworthy and rego. Shouldnt be to hard???

Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

prices are low for anything older than 5 yrs at the moment unless its a popular sports model which will be something young guys and girls like to be seen in,what are you selling and how much is it?
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

What is the car?

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Remember people want a Rolls Royce for $500.

Last year I was placed a 1991 Nissan Pintara on Ebay with 3 month rego. It has a minor ding in the boot and the timing chain was a little noisy on startup, and the head linging was coming away. The car had 180,000 on the clock and ran really well, paint was good and besides the minor ding it was straight as.

I placed opening bids at $400 and a buy it now for $650.

I still had people trying to haggle on the price. One guy called me and asked me my best price, in which I replied place your highest bid and hope you win it, or buy it now for 650. I even offered to drive the car 60 odd k's for him to have a look at, but that was not enough.

I had a swag of others asking about the price. One gent from a middle eastern country sent me an email asking me to contact him if it does not sell and he would give me $200. I replied and said I would be taking it to the wreckers after removing the Pioneer MP3 and speakers.

Amazing thing was I had one guy ring with a day to go on the auction, came and had a look at paid the $650 on the spot. With 4 cars + 2 bikes I wanted it gone quickly.

Mate it all depends on the car and rego and if it is sought after. Have a look through carsales, carpoint, even ebay and see what cars of that model are going for. Be honest in the condition, compared to the other cars and price according to that.

Cheers
Mark

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
xtreme
V8 Addict

it is bad trying to sell cars at the moment. anything old is hard to sell at all

My Collection:

The WEEKENDER:
1968 XT Fairmont (GT rep) - 351 clevo, pacemakers, 2.5" twin system, C10 auto, 2500 Hi-Stall, 3.45:1 LSD, 198 rwkw

The DAILY:
2003 BA GT, Citric Acid, exhaust, headers, cold air intake, 248 rwkw
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Thornie
Off smelting

took 8 months for my mate to sell his 04 xr8 with 50thousand kms on it and from looking at caresales the last couple of month alot of ppl are having the same trouble.

I think the main thing is finance companys have tightened there belts as to how they give out loans.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ijust sold my AU fairmont with a fair amount of goodies in it for $3800. Depressing.
Old 19-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a 92 camery wagon, 190k. I will have a look through the car sales and sus it out abit more. Ive only had it 2 months[ long story. crashed my au fairmont and bought it as a replacment till got paied out] I remember tryin to buy a 4cly 6months ago, couldnt have bouthet them 4 love nor money!
Old 19-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

You'll sell it easy. Just don't expect anything more than $1xxx with roadworthy and you'll be right.
Old 19-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope to get more than that for it!
Old 19-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

sold my barge for 13k, and that was after 6 months for sale, that sucked...
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
santb

want to sell eb, un reg, fair condition(motor good, body good), can't post on for sale thread cos i'm a newb... any ideas?
don't want much, but fe3w hundred for parts to ford forum eb nut seems fair.... any advice??
santb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
santb

also have some qld plates b&w 0xb750 thinkin of selling..... any more advice?
Old 19-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
santb

Smile

eb fair dink; not stolen...reg runs out tomorrow, so legal for another week or so... on gold coast..........
Old 19-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
santb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
took 8 months for my mate to sell his 04 xr8 with 50thousand kms on it and from looking at caresales the last couple of month alot of ppl are having the same trouble.

I think the main thing is finance companys have tightened there belts as to how they give out loans.
people are picky now that times are uncertain.... i've was looking to upgrade my (for sale!) eb for a year and a bit....
ford all my life but was looking at bmw's (forgive me....). ended up with worked 98 el futura (avatar) and happy as..
cars are cheap; finance expensive. cash talks and if seller wants too much, theres another one in a week or two...
i'm glad i didn't spend $8k on a 15 y.o 318is... igot a worked 98 el for $6k... 152000 on clock, clean as, lpg, tint, suspension, full exhaust, xr mags......
stoked.
would love 05ish xr6t, but even $18k too much for me and finance for cars is for idiots.
$6k cash got me a car worth $4k trade in 2-3 years..........
Old 20-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #16
santb

oh well.. the truth makes no friends
Old 20-06-2009, 12:35 AM   #17
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im finding it hard at the moment im selling an XF ford ute near mint condition im asking $3,500 and people are trying to tell me im rippen them off lol

the dam thing comes with $3000 of extras and another $2000 of spear parts i have recites for $2000 of work done to it over the last 3 months and people are trying to tell me its not worth 3k
carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #18
santb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnige
im finding it hard at the moment im selling an XF ford ute near mint condition im asking $3,500 and people are trying to tell me im rippen them off lol

the dam thing comes with $3000 of extras and another $2000 of spear parts i have recites for $2000 of work done to it over the last 3 months and people are trying to tell me its not worth 3k
thats it tho....
your not ripping anyone off, its just: old falcon=fuel+(maybe) ongoing costs...
great car but cars are cheap!
my eb is 17 years old!! great car, no rust, straight panels, strong donk.... worht nothing!
kids (anyone under 30 to me!!) don't know...
they want 20' chromies just like fiddy cent, $5k stereo, 7000 hp door-blower 2litre double turbo of yank-style truck/hilux.......and they want it for 2 grand!!!!!!
WHATS HAPPENING TO THIS COUNTRY!!!!!?????
im an xb bloke..tough, angry mad max car full of steel potential....my el is the most modern car i've ever owned; lots of plastic for me, but undoubtedly the best car ford made til ba/fg series'....
what are ya gunna do???
Old 20-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #19
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by santb
people are picky now that times are uncertain.... i've was looking to upgrade my (for sale!) eb for a year and a bit....
ford all my life but was looking at bmw's (forgive me....). ended up with worked 98 el futura (avatar) and happy as..
cars are cheap; finance expensive. cash talks and if seller wants too much, theres another one in a week or two...
i'm glad i didn't spend $8k on a 15 y.o 318is... igot a worked 98 el for $6k... 152000 on clock, clean as, lpg, tint, suspension, full exhaust, xr mags......
stoked.
would love 05ish xr6t, but even $18k too much for me and finance for cars is for idiots.

i've been knocked back from finance because i've been late on 2-3 payments from a few companys, last year i could of got a loan no worrys even though i've been close to bankrupcy
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
.my el is the most modern car i've ever owned; lots of plastic for me, but undoubtedly the best car ford made til ba/fg series'....
lets not get too carried away here. the au falcon, whilst polarising in the looks department, is streets ahead (i'd go as far as light years) of the e series falcons.

Quote:
you'd be lucky to get 4k trade on a ba now
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Doherty
Hope to get more than that for it!
Don't hope. You'd be kidding yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
lets not get too carried away here. the au falcon, whilst polarising in the looks department, is streets ahead (i'd go as far as light years) of the e series falcons.
100% correct.

Quote:
Don't kid yourself mate. Friend of mine just traded in a straight EL with 1xx,xxx on the clock for $500...
Old 20-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
santb

all true i guess... depressing.
right about au.. i forgot! i personally cant get past the looks tho'..!!! i wish they'd put the wishbone suspension in the el's...
maybe no $4k trade in a few years for me, but on a new car now......i've heard some stories. the industry is screwed and desparate to sell new cars....
Old 20-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
santb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
i've been knocked back from finance because i've been late on 2-3 payments from a few companys, last year i could of got a loan no worrys even though i've been close to bankrupcy
bad history doesn't help, but don't you love how they throw money at you one minute, then don't wanna know...
how all this crap started in first place!
like i said, i'd never use finance on car; not a second hand one; for new i'd want a great deal and good trade before i'd consider it......
saving's not that hard with a bit of discipline.....