Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
zard 302
Starter Motor

Default i16 misses under acceleration

Hey guys and girls.I have a problem with the wifes AU II.We filled up with a bad batch of fuel out woop woop way and managed to limp to the nearest ford dealer who replaced fuel pump and filter and took wads of cash.The car still runs like a hairy dog with worms and i have run copious amounts of injector cleaner and replaced fuel filter several times but still runs like crap.Have just replaced injectors,fuel filter,new sock over the fuel pump pickup and cleaned the throttle body.Just took it for a spin and no improvement at all.Any ideas on what to do now,Boy i love my BA even more now !

zard 302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

possibly 02 sensor. Are you sure its fuel, maybe spark plugs/leads?
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
zard 302
Starter Motor

ah sorry new iridium plugs 5000 k ago, was going to try a new set of leads next but were do you stop.The local mechanic couldnt find a problem with it so went to ultratune for a service and all they did was put more injector cleaner in the tank.
Old 27-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
zard 302
Starter Motor

any way of checking O2 sensor ?
Old 27-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they remove the injectors and test them individually or did they just run the injector cleaner through the fuel system???
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
zard 302
Starter Motor

They just ran the cleaner through the tank. I replaced them today with new ones but it doesnt seem to have made a difference.
Old 27-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id say plug leads, or a plug may have come loose, they do that sometimes. Otherwise, try cleaning your air filter, or get a new one, or Oxy sensor.
Old 27-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zard 302
They just ran the cleaner through the tank. I replaced them today with new ones but it doesnt seem to have made a difference.
What did you replace today?

If you haven't replaced the plugs, I'd just buy a cheap NGK set for $25 odd bucks. Cheap and easy to try.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

You probably still have a bucket load of whatever crap came out of the bowser in your tank. It could be water.
You can try pouring a bottle of metho in your tank, but it more than likely needs draining/cleaning.

It's really unlikely to be anything else if it started when you had the bad fuel issue.
Old 28-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
zard 302
Starter Motor

I removed the fuel pump and syphoned the tank and is all clean.The bad batch of fuel was about 6 months ago so i was leaning towards a fuel issue but maybe its electrical ? Its okay when you drive normally but if you give it a bootful to overtake it just dies and misses.
Old 28-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
EvilChief
Boost Addict

if u can isolate a cylinder on which the misfire occures, its more than likely an ignition related issue. missing under acceleration (load) normally points towards a weak coil and stuffed leads.

i wouldnt just keep replacing stuff, raother more isolate the problem and diagnose the correct part
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
zard 302
Starter Motor

wouldnt a missfire or stuffed ignition leads come up on a diagnostic code on the dash when they do a service ??Any way of checking diag codes myself ??
Old 28-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
SIKSIX
Its gone V

i have a simular problem and am thinking of coil packs because id doesn't happen to me when the car is cold, rather only when its hot.

i just havent had the time to change them to see if it is that.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
I removed the fuel pump and syphoned the tank and is all clean.The bad batch of fuel was about 6 months ago so i was leaning towards a fuel issue but maybe its electrical ? Its okay when you drive normally but if you give it a bootful to overtake it just dies and misses.
Ok, so let's get this right.
The car was running fine 6 months ago. You then had a bad tank of fuel, and the car straightaway ran badly.
You had things done at Ford straight after the bad tank of fuel, and it didn't solve the problem at the time or it did solve the problem at the time and now the problem has come back?

In any case, if the fuel system is ok, and it seems so from what you've said, then it can only be the ignition side of things.
Old 28-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I had this happen on my AU2 wagon on the way back from Sydney, and it turns out it was a broken high tension lead on no 6 cylinder - at low throttle, it carried the spark fine, but anything more than half throttle induced a misfire.

3 things directly control spark:
1. Spark plugs (at $25 a set easiest to replace first, and if this is not the problem, you put the old ones back and keep the new ones for next service)
2. Leads (at $60 odd a set, next cheapest, and if not the problem can also be used at next service)
3. Coilpack - cost varies depending on supplier, but work on around $100 to $150 for a newie, so replace this last. They typically need replacing around the 150,000 to 200,000km mark.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
justa6
justa6

lead's
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #17
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
wouldnt a missfire or stuffed ignition leads come up on a diagnostic code on the dash when they do a service ??Any way of checking diag codes myself ??

no, only time it may come up and a engine light is if a misfire causes detonation (ie in high rpm)
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
toolchick01
Now with an AU XR6

How about a leak in the inlet manifold. My partners BA had a similar problem. We changed the spark plugs and ran injector cleaner though it and still nothing. Took it down to knox Ford, they found the problem straight away, changed the gasket and now it's good as new. Just a thought.

1999 AU1 XR6 VCT - Now with a momo steering wheel!
Manual - 18" Koya Race Tek's Black with polished lip - Lowered - Series 2 tail lights - Pioneer P80 Head Unit - Clarion Front 6" Splits - JL 5x7's Rear Coaxials - Clarion 4x90w RMS amp - Clarion DPX1800 800w RMS mono - 2 Clarion PXW1251 400w RMS 12" subs

Team Deck Chair Member ............ Once you sit down, you'll never stand up.
toolchick01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolchick01
How about a leak in the inlet manifold. My partners BA had a similar problem. We changed the spark plugs and ran injector cleaner though it and still nothing. Took it down to knox Ford, they found the problem straight away, changed the gasket and now it's good as new. Just a thought.
Yep - entirely possible, depends on the misfire and the conditions it's happening under, but if it's only at full throttle, then it's unlikely to be a gasket issue - good thought though.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post