Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
steviewonder37

Default Fuel gauge problem

I have an AUII S which has suddenly developed a problem with detecting the fuel left in the tank.

The analogue gauge is fine, but the Digital readout (DTE) is having issues.

I was driving the car this arvo, and when I pulled out of my garage it was reading 113kms left to empty.

But, the readout was ticking over like a clock, it has now dropped to 56kms left to empty, but my roundtrip was only 10kms at the most.

Is the fuel sensor in the tank faulty perhaps, and are they expensive to replace?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like it .. I have similar issue with my EGAS ute.

How many kays has your car done.
I have heard it's a common issue over 100,000km

But I have my analogue gauge drop to nothing .. and then slowly climb up again.

I just go on how many kms I have travelled ... I don't trust the DTE readings.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
FAIRMONTAU2
Starter Motor

They compute and change with changing driving situations. You will probably find even though it says 56 k's 'till empty, if you drive at a steady 100k's, it will go back up to probably 120-150 till empty. The less fuel in the tank the more inaccurate they are. I'm with mechan1k just go by average k's per tank.
FAIRMONTAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Sounds like it .. I have similar issue with my EGAS ute.

But I have my analogue gauge drop to nothing .. and then slowly climb up again.
My car is on gas and does the same thing. It doesn't do it on petrol though, only gas. Annoying but not serious!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Ray
FORD POWER!!

Mine does that too every now and then... mainly when it's getting low on fuel though, I've heard it could be because when there's less fuel in the tank, it sloshes around in the tank more, and can confuse the sensor? it probably BS, but that's what I've heard...

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post