Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #19
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate to disappoint all the NSW members, but it is not 3 years but actually 40months before the points are taken off your record.

it is on the RTA website,but you have to really go looking for it.

And the points are added from the date of the offence. Then removed 40 months after.

I to thought it was 3 years until I was advised by the RTA. The women even told me that she thought it was 3 years until they recieved a memo stating the 40 months. :

Here it is:

Demerit points and licence suspensions

The law requires the RTA to send a notice of suspension to a licence holder who has incurred 12 or more demerit points in any three-year period.

The law permits the counting of demerit points for offences of any age but suspension can only be applied if the dates the offences were committed are within 3 years of each other.

However, the RTA considers it would be unreasonable to consider offences more than 40 months old. The 40-month period exists to ensure that delays between an infringement taking place and the RTA being notified of the infringement are taken into account and ensures that only recent and relevant offences are counted.

For this reason, demerit points up to 40 months old are displayed on the RTA’s online demerit point enquiry screen, because these offences have the potential to count towards a demerit point licence suspension.

Demerit points used towards a licence suspension can’t be counted towards future licence suspensions.

Note: Offences and the relevant number of demerit points remain on a person’s driving record irrespective of the age of the offence. If you obtain a copy of your driving record, all your offences and demerit points will be displayed because this accurately reflects your driving history.

Last edited by The G6ET Spot; 19-01-2009 at 11:46 PM.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post