Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

As someone else mentioned the Astra's aren't Korean.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #32
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
As someone else mentioned the Astra's aren't Korean.
OK, big deal. That's not the point of the thread.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Paul Gover probably got upset and wrote the article because they damaged a few of his precious Holdens.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #34
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Paul Gover probably got upset and wrote the article because they damaged a few of his precious Holdens.
yeah - they weren't damaged enough to be written off :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #35
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Why can't people just enjoy it for what it is?

Why take it personally? It's not like they are asking for the keys to your personal car for filming. Sheesh.

Agree 100%... This is what the show is all about.. To try and mimic the UK version
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #36
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
lol, well maybe they should have used cars from a wrecker for the lawn bowls not brand new cars. but oh well happens get over it
If they did we would all can them for using dungers when the pom show3 uses new stuff eg the barina soccer game

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #37
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The UK version flogs a hell of a lot more super cars than the Aussie version. Every week, it's Jeremy on the Top Gear test track, power sliding some exotic screaming "POWAAAAARRRRRRRR!"
Last night's episode on SBS was the 240,000GBP Bently. He even blew out one of the tyres from his reviewing of it!
It's all part of the franchise and the way they portray the cars. It's entertainment and it has an associated cost. Build a bridge and get over it princess.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #38
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

note sure if anyone has noticed, but Warren, one of the TGA presenters has written a response to news.com.au

Enjoy:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...007146,00.html
Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #39
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Holden needs to check its spare parts prices, $20k for a couple of bumpers and a bit of paint. What a joke.

TG Aus Magazine asked Audi for an R8 to flog out to Birdsville and back and Audi was happy to oblige. By far more reckless than any stunt that the TV show has pulled in its first season.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
note sure if anyone has noticed, but Warren, one of the TGA presenters has written a response to news.com.au

Enjoy:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...007146,00.html
He's 100% on the money.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
OK, big deal. That's not the point of the thread.

No the point is UKTG can do no wrong but AUTG farts in a car and its the end of the world. Am I close??
Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #42
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
No the point is UKTG can do no wrong but AUTG farts in a car and its the end of the world. Am I close??
It would appear that way wouldn't it?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:58 AM   #43
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
You'll find the astra's are Opels.

Well that explains the $30k bill, Euro Trash!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #44
morbo

I think the mindless reckless damage is also a factor. The damage of the Holden Astras were kinda brainless. It didn't prove anything at all, other than reinforcing that it should be donned by cardigan wearing, lawn bowling, old age pensioners. How is that a positive spin?

Its completely different if you compare this to the soccor aygos and swifts, Firstly the UK ones offer more of a review. They actually rave on about it. Yes theres damage the cars with the football stunts, but its not reckless. Its not mindless. Its demonstrating how agile and quick the cars are. That's great exposure for the cars.

Take the Ford Fiesta as another example. Driving through a shopping mall and embarking on a beach assault probably wasn't necessary and more than likely caused heaps of damage to the car. But the damage wasn't mindless. Jeremy raves about it and the stunt sheds the boring cardigan image that Fiesta has here in Europe. What's the cost of damaging a couple of cars when it sells a couple of thousand/million more?
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #45
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbo
I think the mindless reckless damage is also a factor. The damage of the Holden Astras were kinda brainless. It didn't prove anything at all, other than reinforcing that it should be donned by cardigan wearing, lawn bowling, old age pensioners. How is that a positive spin?

Its completely different if you compare this to the soccor aygos and swifts, Firstly the UK ones offer more of a review. They actually rave on about it. Yes theres damage the cars with the football stunts, but its not reckless. Its not mindless. Its demonstrating how agile and quick the cars are. That's great exposure for the cars.

Take the Ford Fiesta as another example. Driving through a shopping mall and embarking on a beach assault probably wasn't necessary and more than likely caused heaps of damage to the car. But the damage wasn't mindless. Jeremy raves about it and the stunt sheds the boring cardigan image that Fiesta has here in Europe. What's the cost of damaging a couple of cars when it sells a couple of thousand/million more?
This is a good point made here. It is about the point to each exercise. TGA is still getting its footing, both with the audience and also its own production/presenters. They need to get a handle on what makes a good segment, and what doesn't. Some of the segments were great, most were ho hum, some were stupid. Then again, TGUK has some stupid segements too, but they are fun because of the chemistry with the presenters. These things take time, and i for one hope they get a second crack at it next year, even if it doesn't every reach the levels of TGUK.

As for whingeing manufacturers, what a load of rubbish. They get told beforehand exactly what is happening in the shoot with their cars, if they have any questions/concerns then can discuss it then and work out who pays for what. When told of what the astras were going to be doing, do you think holden had no idea of the sort of damage?? And the supposed damage bill is way above what it would have cost based on the damage we saw on the show. I can't see how TGA has any more abuse than TGUK to be honest, just maybe they don't pay for the cars themselves to save some cash so manufacturers need to be more vigilant. Ford Aus wasn't stupid, all the cars used were XFG plates...pre-production falcons that are destined for the crusher anyway. This is probably just a media beat up with Gover doing his bit to defend his beloved holden and get them some free media coverage.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #46
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

give me a break!!!! why does every topic on here turn to sledging? i for 1 found TGA's 1st season to start out terribly, but it actually got better as the presenters and production become more comfortable in the roles. cannt wait for the 2nd season to start. how many of you actually watched the first series of TGUK? was it as it good as it is now? i bet not.
as for the "sensless destruction" of vehicles new and old, as has been mentioned, manufacturers of the new vehicles are told of what will happen with the cars and more then likely the cars given are destined for the scrap heap in anycase due to production flaws or other reasons. and as was stated in the the article above, the manufactures work closely with the stunts anyway.
heres a suggestion for all you cardigan wearing, anti "spirited" enthusiast driving motoring shows...... stop watching Top Gear, 5th Gear, and other shows of the same nature and crawl back into your holes. Shows like these put the cars through their paces and use them as they were designed to be used and driven. Road rules are put in place for our saftey, manufacturers design cars for our enjoyment, the cops are there to dampen that fun :(

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #47
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
You must have only watched the first half of the review. Here, watch it again and stay tuned for the second half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpCldAb2x6s

That's a shedload more mindless and reckless driving than anything TGAU did.

'...and things got dirty'
Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #48
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
You must have only watched the first half of the review. Here, watch it again and stay tuned for the second half.

Maybe it's all about timing and presentation. The TG franchise it not only a topical motoring programme, but it is also supposed to be entertaining.

Having seen Warren on Tv before and kind of know his personality a bit better, I find myself sympathetic to his effort. But as for the other 2...well...they are boring characterless (if there is such a word) and trying too hard to impress too quickly.

They may be good drivers (apparently) but...who the @#$% are they? One is a foaming at the mouth turbo / Nissan Playstation freak and will never be a fan of H pattern gearboxes and anything that has pushrods. The other is well...who is he again?

I find myself wanting to see people like Stahl or Morley or even Cockburn given a chance...could they do any worse?

Perhaps..IMHO...they desperately need a new track, new "Stig" - (good job for Skaifey...I reckon he could out drive the Aussie Stig or Steve or whatever his name is) and 2 new presenters.

I DESPERATELY WANT A TOP GEAR AUSTRALIA as there is a dump truck full of good Aussie humour and observation (that doesn't make you cringe under the lounge) but it is all in the presentation and timing...The presenters may need to earn out respect a bit and not go hell for leather from the gate.

Just my opinion...for starters.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #49
morbo

Quote:

Yeah i watched the whole thing. I disagree with the mindless aspect to it because it still pushed a positive spin on the cars as it conveys that the cars are agile city cars. There was a purpose to the stunt. As Swordman88 said, it is about the point to each exercise.

With the Astras they sat on the passenger side and 'meandered' the astras to an inflatable jack. That's it. No driving. The stunt didn't show any of the astra's qualities (if any - i haven't driven one yet) and just reinforced that they be best suited for the blue haired people. I dont know how Holden would have benefitted from that at all.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #50
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1) They were Astra's not exactly rare and why do people complain as if they have been written off???? The damage was minor and repairable

2) Go to your local shopping centre, sit in the car park and watch how Astra drivers park their cars, you can expect to see the same bumps from the actual owners of the cars

3) If for some strange reason I was to buy a car that had been on Top Gear I would rather buy a car that requires a new front bumper (but is mechanically sound) than a car that has been thrashed around a track with unknown mechanically damage.

TG has a format and we all know that they can and do damage cars - however unlike other motoring publications/shows more people comment/watch or have an opinion on TG, which leads me to think that it is way out in front of its rivals

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Yeah i watched the whole thing. I disagree with the mindless aspect to it because it still pushed a positive spin on the cars as it conveys that the cars are agile city cars. There was a purpose to the stunt. As Swordman88 said, it is about the point to each exercise.

With the Astras they sat on the passenger side and 'meandered' the astras to an inflatable jack. That's it. No driving. The stunt didn't show any of the astra's qualities (if any - i haven't driven one yet) and just reinforced that they be best suited for the blue haired people. I dont know how Holden would have benefitted from that at all.
IMO, that's a long bow to draw. To engage in a soccer match using cars and suggest that small hatches are manuverable is like saying the sky is blue. There was nothing about the 'review' that wasn't obvious before even sitting in the car. The review was entirely secondary (if not pointless) to playing soccer with cars and crashing them into each other. If, however, it was a review about how well you can use this car to play car soccer with, I'd be in complete agreement with you.

Now that they've done the soccer review of small cars on the show, you'd think that would be it, yes? Well, perhaps you should take a closer look at the 'live' show where... they play soccer with cars and occassionally wreck them.

Was the Astra segment pointless? Absolutely. As pointless as the soccer car review. My point was that people were panning TGAU for doing it and claiming TGUK only buy cheap beat up cars to mete out their destruction on. Clearly that's not the case.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #52
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was the Astra segment pointless? Absolutely. As pointless as the soccer car review.
But was it really? We're discussing it aren't we, so it has brought attention to the Astra's for Holden then. Same with the Toyota's used for the soccer. We all know what they used for it don't we, so it's all advertising, albeit in a screwed up way.
It's publicity and it's got us talking about those cars.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #53
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
But was it really? We're discussing it aren't we, so it has brought attention to the Astra's for Holden then. Same with the Toyota's used for the soccer. We all know what they used for it don't we, so it's all advertising, albeit in a screwed up way.
It's publicity and it's got us talking about those cars.
As a review, it was useless. Ok, we're talking about it here but do you think it will a single sale will result from this thread? I'd extend that question to TG as well. Oh, they're playing lawn bowls with an Astra, honey. I want to go look at one this weekend...

In both segments there was absolutely nothing about its driveability and handling on the road, interior storage space, passenger comfort or economy. In that segment, those would be high on the list of what potential buyers are looking for... not that I think it would be a wise decision to purchase a vehicle based on a review (or advertisement) on either show.

I'm not suggesting that it's necessarily a bad thing. I don't watch either show for the informational aspect of it but the entertainment aspect. There's a reason that Top Gear is miles ahead in viewership than Fifth Gear. One's entertaining most of the time and the other takes itself a little too seriously most of the time (though, last season they've tried to raise the entertainment aspect a little more...)
Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #54
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
As a review, it was useless. Ok, we're talking about it here but do you think it will a single sale will result from this thread? I'd extend that question to TG as well. Oh, they're playing lawn bowls with an Astra, honey. I want to go look at one this weekend...

In both segments there was absolutely nothing about its driveability and handling on the road, interior storage space, passenger comfort or economy. In that segment, those would be high on the list of what potential buyers are looking for... not that I think it would be a wise decision to purchase a vehicle based on a review (or advertisement) on either show.

I'm not suggesting that it's necessarily a bad thing. I don't watch either show for the informational aspect of it but the entertainment aspect. There's a reason that Top Gear is miles ahead in viewership than Fifth Gear. One's entertaining most of the time and the other takes itself a little too seriously most of the time (though, last season they've tried to raise the entertainment aspect a little more...)
If somebody did a whole show about the Astra talking about its ride, performance, interior I think I'd turn off. Probably why Test Drive inhabits the coverted 2pm Staurday slot (when their isn't any golf to cover). Seeing an Astra bieng used as a Lawn bowl is probably the best thing for its image anyway
Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #55
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Well TGA won't be complaining because it gives them free publicity and increases the chance of a 2nd season and high viewers on the 1st "to answer speculation" blah blah blah
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #56
morbo

Quote:
There was nothing about the 'review' that wasn't obvious before even sitting in the car.
Uh, have you seen the full aygo segment? The link that you gave wasn't the complete one.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=flKzjuDhFDs&NR=1