Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #121
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best thing for Ford Oz is to be purchased by an asian/indian conglomerate but the odds of this are very slim due to the legalities of using the trademark name etc. Holden are very lucky in this aspect. Ford US are not in the financial shape to maintain their oz operations and you would imagine are more worried about keeping their own heads above water. If another company was to purchase Ford Oz and use it as a base to manufacture large luxury sedans for export as well as local sales then that is still a win. Would be very disappointing to lose the iconic Ford badge lost in Australia.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #122
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I heard rumours a few weeks back that the straight 6 would continue until 2013 because thats when Ford Australia will cease to exist, and by not switching to a V6 it would save them development money and make it easier to shut the whole place down as one, not engine and casting plant first and then stamping/PD and Broady a few years later. It was only a rumour and could have been BS but to do that they would need a further 3 years added to the emmissions exemption they already have to use the I6 until 2010, and wether they would be allowed to do that I don't know.

That didn't come from any official source, it was just talk, but that doesn't necessarily mean its not true.

Ford Australia and Ford HQ keep talking up FoA's future but the simple fact is that unless Detroit pumps in a whole butt load of cash for an all new Falcon in 2013 it will mean the end. Problem is sales figures for Falcon mean that another $800k-$1m just won't be enough to justify that sort of investment money cause it would take too long to make that money back.
Your prophecy was partially on the money, and this concerns me.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #123
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales
I was talking to some Engineer friends last night and they claim because of the current world finanicial crisis Ford are NOT going ahead with the V6 engine in the Falcon, but are going to keep the current I6 engine.
They swear this is fact because and they are in the know with Ford AU.

Has anyone heard about this or is it just crap?
WWOOHHOOOO

and I just bought a 2002 wagon

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...2581_news.html
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #124
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Your prophecy was partially on the money, and this concerns me.
Nothing is certain in any industry these days.

My tip is the Falcon will continue until about 2013, and it will then be replaced by a global FWD platform that will have various 'top hats'.

eg: Territory replacement ala Kluger.

This is all conditional on the fact that FoA is still in business of course in 5 years,and can afford / justify the investment. If GM collapse in the US then everthing could go pear-shaped worldwide for Ford & GM very quickly !!!

I'm tipping Focus & 'Mondeo replacement' platform based cars in 2015 and no Falcon as we know it.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #125
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Good news indeed.

So what will we see.

Direct Injection?
Alloy block?

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #126
F6Mont

Thumbs up

WOOHOO!! looks like the I6 is going to be around for a few more years after all.

Might be old news to some...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/19063/fo...elong-to-stay/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford Australia has just held a press conference to announce the company’s Geelong Engine Plant will continue to operate post-2010 producing Ford’s iconic in-line six-cylinder engine.

The plant currently employs 400 people, with the blue oval having already spent over $200 million dollars on the Geelong operation since 2006. An additional $21 million will be spent to keep the plant up to date and also insure new I6 engines comply with stringent Euro IV emissions standards.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F6Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #127
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

whales = prophet
Old 21-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #128
Matt P
No Boundries

The I6 4.0 litre will continue beyond 2010 and will be designed to meet euro IV spec.
Matt P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #129
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

R.I.P Falcon V6.

Good news.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #130
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
R.I.P Falcon V6.

Good news.
: : : :
Old 22-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #131
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
R.I.P Falcon V6.

Good news.

RIH falcon V6 (rot in hell) :
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #132
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Man this is the best news i've heard all week!
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #133
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But remember that the plant will only stay open to produce motors for Falcon and Territory. If both of these cars sales slump any farther, the engine plant will go with it.
Old 22-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #134
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Now here's an interesting question, the F6 will require a power upgrade for the next model and now that the I6 is staying it will be copping that upgrade.

I wonder how far Ford are willing to push the F6 and even the XR6T from factory?

A 300kw+ factory XR6T would be interesting, not too sure what Holden could do there.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #135
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a shame that this country thinks a performance car can only be a v8, I am very excited about how far the motor can be pushed. I would imagine we are getting towards the ceiling now and any power gains after this would require a large amount of re engineering and the hardest part would be justifying the expense.
Old 23-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #136
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is great news.

But i'm worried about 2013 from what i have reading in this thread.

Still though, long live the I6.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #137
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only be worried if the Falcon stops selling. At the current selling rate its hard to justify a new model.
Old 23-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #138
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

heres another story about the I6 staying on
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...2581_news.html
not sure if they are the same article or not...but i was stocked to hear this!!

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #139
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Its a shame that this country thinks a performance car can only be a v8
I really don't think that is the case at all. The inline 6 is the motor that powered Australia, IMO.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #140
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
But remember that the plant will only stay open to produce motors for Falcon and Territory. If both of these cars sales slump any farther, the engine plant will go with it.
I've got an idea - why not replace that boat anchor 4.6 V8 in the CrownVictoria/Mercury Marquis/Lincoln Towncar with the Aussie I6 (At least another 100,000 sales per annum). God knows those things need a freshen-up and our Aussie six trumps the 4.6 both on power (195Kw Vs 178Kw) and torque (391Nm Vs 387Nm)! All while being alot more economical. Given our falling dollar I'll bet it would be cheaper to boot!!! :

Now I wonder if it would fit under the bonnet of the current Mustang..........
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #141
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish that could happen but the yanks have a real disdain for our products and there unions have been a stumbling block for years. And lord knows that given America's current state it would be harder than ever to get them to agree to buying an o'seas motor.
Old 23-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #142
simple2873
Starter Motor

Quote:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/Bossxr8/V6.jpg

Its also nowhere near as good as the I6 is in terms of torque and refinement.

I think pigs will fly before the I6 continues after 2010.

Looks like our pigs are flyin!! the best news ever for aussie ingenuity
simple2873 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #143
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple2873
Looks like our pigs are flyin!! the best news ever for aussie ingenuity
When you hear rumours on and off again for the past few few months you soon learn to take them with a grain of salt, but from what I can gather come 2013 the switch to V6 will most likely be made if the Falcon continues to exist at all. Either the Global RWD platform or the rebadged Taurus the Falcon may become will more likely than not be engineered to take the V6, not the I6, if either of the programs go ahead.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #144
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When you hear rumours on and off again for the past few few months you soon learn to take them with a grain of salt, but from what I can gather come 2013 the switch to V6 will most likely be made if the Falcon continues to exist at all. Either the Global RWD platform or the rebadged Taurus the Falcon may become will more likely than not be engineered to take the V6, not the I6, if either of the programs go ahead.
I am personally hoping it's Mondeo, not the Taurus. Falcon has to crash and burn then we need to successfully launch Focus then Mondeo becomes a manufacturing possibility.
Old 23-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #145
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So from my understanding the main reason for the I6 now to be kept alive is due to the current financial situation mainly the drop in the Australian dollar making it a less feasible option to go with the US built V6. So with that being said where will that leave Ford Australia with the US imported Boss V8’s? Is it just as likely now they will be dropping the V8 again within the next couple of years?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #146
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
So from my understanding the main reason for the I6 now to be kept alive is due to the current financial situation mainly the drop in the Australian dollar making it a less feasible option to go with the US built V6. So with that being said where will that leave Ford Australia with the US imported Boss V8’s? Is it just as likely now they will be dropping the V8 again within the next couple of years?
The R&D involved to have the FG engineered to pass for a 5 star ANCAP rating with the V6 was also a factor. The FG with V8 requires no further engineering to meet the same. The V8, on good authority, is alive and kicking.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #147
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu

Ford don't care what the current exchange rate is. The sole reason is the cash injection from the Government