Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #31
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIK516
ohhh i see this is gonna become one of those threads, the ranger is better because so and so.

the ranger isnt cheaper i know i went comparing prices, and as for it being smaller i dont think it is not by its looks anyways.

this wasnt ment to be a ****ing contest just a review on a product that some one might buy.

and please dont mention it is a ford forum, id like to think this is a car forum.
Sorry NIK516 it is a Ford forum so most guys here will be FORD fans and will bag out other makes...me included...I think the Colorado looks good but I will never consider it against a Ranger as it has a Holden Badge on it.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #32
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ohhh i see this is gonna become one of those threads, the ranger is better because so and so.

the ranger isnt cheaper i know i went comparing prices, and as for it being smaller i dont think it is not by its looks anyways.

this wasnt ment to be a ****ing contest just a review on a product that some one might buy.

and please dont mention it is a ford forum, id like to think this is a car forum.
Nik,

I never meant to say the Colorado to be a bad thing. I was just pointing out the benefits the Ranger has. I am basing the price on RRP. I have been tought never to bag the competition, only to show the benefits of our product. So no it isn't one of those forums.
Old 28-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We just bought one a few weeks ago, and ill give a quick review of it.
its a crew cab, low ride , with a canopy , 3.6 v6 with 4 speed auto.
ill also compare this to my 2006 Mazda bravo also a 3.5 v6 with a 5 speed manual.
Since when did the Bravo ever have a 3.5L V6?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #34
MRJUCY
Fordless

Had a drive & a look over them at the Sydney fleet launch of them & they're bugger all different from the Rodeo, no better or worse just a few less models in the range.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #35
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate has a new Rodeo and it has one little feature that I really wish the Ranger had, Electric Folding Mirrors. His is the LX Twin Cab TD which isn't the top of the range, nice feature that I've wished I had a few times now.

As for bagging the Colorado, not me, like others, just pointing out what I see are the inconsistancies in the arguements. I wish it success, as that will mean Ford will have to come out with something pretty damn good to beat it, and then I'll by able to buy a better product etc.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #36
NIK516

yeh that was suppose to be 4L but thats beside the point.

but fair inof i have to accept this is a ford forum ill try chose my words differently next time.

Last edited by NIK516; 29-07-2008 at 11:14 AM.
NIK516 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #37
cowboy
Cowboy

Looking forward to driving one. I have had (as company cars) to date, 1 Navara, 3 Tritons and 2 Rodeos. I clocked up some serious k's in all of them.

The latest Rodeo was a nice unit to drive, spacious and grunty but didn't handle very well and spent more time in the Holden workshop than on the road.

The pick of the bunch was the Triton, just couldn't kill them (and I tried), almost 400,000km over 3 utes and only breakdown was a cracked harmonic balancer. Not quite as roomy as the Rodeo but handled far better, towed well and by far the best off road.

Never went the Hilux route as at 6'7" I just can't fit in them, told the new ones are better though.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #38
cowboy
Cowboy

And I didn't mean that to sound biased against Holden, just didn't particularly like the Rodeo as a vehicle.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #39
Joey_Falcon
Powered By Ford

I took the the base model LX colorado TD auto for a spin this arvo. I realy wasn't overly impressed, I thought they could have been a bit more roomier inside. Also I didn't like the enigine very much - in all aspects - Too loud for a diesel, too many vibrations comming through the small cabin, and a bit too gutless. Maybe it was just a flogged out demonstrator - I don't know.

These colorados are identical to the predcessing Rodeos, just a different grill and lights.
Joey_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #40
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Colorado? I jsut see a Rodeo with adifferent Grill and lights. Wheel arches and Ute box is slightly different, but basically the same.
Interior and body is identical.

I think htey just renamed and relaunched Rodeo, due to the name being taken off them. So why the hype here? Its jsut holdne marketing.. nothing to see folks.. move along.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #41
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anyone give me the answer as I keep hearing different things, is the Colorado an Isuzu or a totally different vehicle made by Chev? I know the Colorado is made in South America and the D-Max is from Thailand, but are they related?
Old 15-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #42
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Can anyone give me the answer as I keep hearing different things, is the Colorado an Isuzu or a totally different vehicle made by Chev? I know the Colorado is made in South America and the D-Max is from Thailand, but are they related?
I think you will find it is a Chev. I recall hearing that the reason GM had to drop the Rodeo is because Isuzu pulled out of the American market passenger vehicle wise, so GM had to come up with something else.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #43
Hally

Your question has been answered already in the thread.

The Holden Colorado is basically a renamed Rodeo. Isuzu own the Rodeo name plate and with GM divesting its stake in Isuzu, Holden are unable to use that name plate anymore.

The Isuzu D-Max is basically the same as the Holden Colorado (not sure of motors etc), different front end maybe.

There is also a Chevy Colorado that is not factory imported into Australia, but because GM own the nameplate Holden can use it.

Hope it all makes sense.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #44
Abacus
Life's a Gas

It's a reskinned Rodeo.

Read these Go Auto articles for the background story:

Dealers Sign Up for Isuzu D-Max

Quote:
As GoAuto revealed exclusively in early March, Holden has lost the rights to continue to apply the long-running Rodeo model nameplate to the light commercial vehicle built for it by Isuzu in Thailand, following the formal separation between Isuzu and Holden’s parent company General Motors.

Holden will relaunch the Rodeo as the Colorado in July via a cosmetically facelifted model that is now on sale in Thailand as the Chevrolet Colorado. Featuring a new front bumper and interior trim, it will swap the Chev bow-tie logo on its grille for Holden’s lion mascot.

Colorado First Drive

Quote:
Underneath lies the same box-section in chassis construction as before, which provides strong torsional rigidity.

Since the Rodeo gained an interior revamp with its 2007 facelift, much of the Colorado’s cabin has been left alone.

To jog memories, there were redesigned seats, a new-look steering wheel and instrumentation graphics, revised trim, altered HVAC heater/ventilation and air-conditioning controls, and restyled transmission levers.
Quote:
“A change in General Motors’ relationship with Isuzu led to a nameplate change to Colorado,” said Holden’s Philip Brook.
And:

GM Thai Diesel

Quote:
Due early in the new decade, the new GM light truck will serve as the replacement for the just-released RC-series Colorado, which is itself a reskin of the 2002 Isuzu-built RA Rodeo.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy

Never went the Hilux route as at 6'7" I just can't fit in them, told the new ones are better though.
Ummm, the new Hilux is bigger in head room and leg room than all the other utes... so you should have been able to fit nor worries, my boss is 6'5" and the hilux is the first car in 40 years that he can't reach the pedals in if he puts the seat right back.

Bearing in mind his previous cars where AU Falcon, BA XT, Nissan Patrol STL (still has this) and 300c SRT8 (still ahs this) so I'd say you a re telling porkies about fitting into the new Hilux.

Edit - just read the last bit of you sentance LOL! Disregard the above then!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #46
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Abacus, great help.
Old 15-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #47
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
Your question has been answered already in the thread.

The Holden Colorado is basically a renamed Rodeo. Isuzu own the Rodeo name plate and with GM divesting its stake in Isuzu, Holden are unable to use that name plate anymore.

The Isuzu D-Max is basically the same as the Holden Colorado (not sure of motors etc), different front end maybe.

There is also a Chevy Colorado that is not factory imported into Australia, but because GM own the nameplate Holden can use it.

Hope it all makes sense.
I think that the D-max is going the All Diesel engine route. They will be a very strong competitor as value will be upped to "introduce" the name plate. Australia sell near as many vehicles in the segment as does Europe, so do not underestimate the value of this little outpost. Like 1 in 10 here, 1 in 200 vehicles over there. Ranger is also Diesel only.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #48
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The Rodeo goes o/k for me..Work supplies it with fuel card..
Mine is the last of the Rodeo V6 engines..
It handles and stops much better than previous model..
It's auto with LSD, as I often go down fire trails etc..
Next will be smaller 4wd...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #49
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTonka
I think that the D-max is going the All Diesel engine route. They will be a very strong competitor as value will be upped to "introduce" the name plate. Australia sell near as many vehicles in the segment as does Europe, so do not underestimate the value of this little outpost. Like 1 in 10 here, 1 in 200 vehicles over there. Ranger is also Diesel only.

D-Max is Diesel only....saw the first one of them at one of our dealerships today...

I imagine it will be my next company car lolz

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #50
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did a full comparison on Ranger vs. Coloardo not long ago. I found these interesting points:

1. Colorado's cheap base model single c/cab DX 4x2 at $19,990 is PETROL only (12L/100km!). If you want a diesel you have to get into the much more expensive 3.0L. For a grand more you can buy the Ranger 2.5L diesel and it has power windows, mirrors and keyless entry. It tows better, has bigger wheels, turbo diesel power and 8.3L/100km

2. Colorado super cab does not has 4 doors, Ranger does.

3. In every model, with the same engine, the Ranger is far cheaper.

4. Ranger 3.0L engine produces more torque then the Colorado.

5. Yes, the Colorado LX models come std with ABS and EBS, but you can get the optional safety pack on Ranger and still be cheaper then Holden!
I drive a Ranger for work and the area manager just got a new Colorado, and they have the same size wheels that you can't get a decent 'off-road'/mud tyre for. I just had to get 4 brand new tyres for it today and they old ones only had 9790km's. If i was to buy a ute like these i would be getting either the Navara or Hilux.

As far as towing in a Ranger i'd hate to try and pull the full 3t, a collegue had to take a new new transformer, in a trailer, to a property yesterday that weighed half that and he said it was pushinh him all over the road.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #51
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Ummm, the new Hilux is bigger in head room and leg room than all the other utes... so you should have been able to fit nor worries, my boss is 6'5" and the hilux is the first car in 40 years that he can't reach the pedals in if he puts the seat right back.

Yeah new one is a lot different to the old cab. I have had a few nasty headaches from going bush in Hilux's and headbutting the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
I drive a Ranger for work and the area manager just got a new Colorado, and they have the same size wheels that you can't get a decent 'off-road'/mud tyre for. I just had to get 4 brand new tyres for it today and they old ones only had 9790km's. If i was to buy a ute like these i would be getting either the Navara or Hilux.
New Hilux's are equally loving of tyre wear.
Old 16-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #52
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183

As far as towing in a Ranger i'd hate to try and pull the full 3t, a collegue had to take a new new transformer, in a trailer, to a property yesterday that weighed half that and he said it was pushinh him all over the road.
I was comparing the Colorado DX 4x2 Single and the Ranger XL 4x2 Single, from what I can read the Colorado comes with 195R14C (613) tyres and the Ranger has 215/70R15 tyres.
Old 17-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #53
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
New Hilux's are equally loving of tyre wear.

It's not a tyre wear problem, its a lack of tyres avalible to suit the ranger rim size thats the problem, well really decent mud tyres, as we do a lot of work in wet black soil especially around this time of year.

Quote:
I was comparing the Colorado DX 4x2 Single and the Ranger XL 4x2 Single, from what I can read the Colorado comes with 195R14C (613) tyres and the Ranger has 215/70R15 tyres.
Oh, sorry, i must have miss read that. The 4X4's have the same size rim.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #54
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

ok I work at a car dealership which has taken up the ISUZU Ute Brand

The Isuzu Ute is pretty much the old rodeo BUT!!! better because they have all diesel engines. back in the rodeo the V6 was the only thing that let them down.

Isuzu have been makeing diesel engines for over 70 years and 20,000,000 have rolled of the productiong line. They are well ahead in diesel produtcion.

and just to let you guys know...the Holden Colorado is an Isuzu Dmax with boxier wheel arches, boxier front end and there hopeless petrol engines.

Cheers,