Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
gcm

Post Transporting Unregistered/able Vehicle

Hi All,

Just hoping someone might be able to help with possible solutions for transporting a a damaged, unregistered vehicle interstate (ACT to NSW ~ 200km).

From what I can find, the average car trailer is not capable of moving more than 1200kg (1950kg required) and the cost of using a tow truck is prohibitive.

Look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Kryton

depends on the damage.
can the car be moved under its own power?
does it need winching
or does it need forklifting on and off?

my local freighters will pick up a car in Melb (300km away), have it forklifted on and they will forklift it off at their depot for $110.

the local car carrier will pick up a drivable car in Melb and drop it to my door for $160.
if it cant be moved under its own power, it will be the last car loaded on the carrier, winched on and dragged off at their depot for $220.

basically you need to ring around and explain what you have and what you want done.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
gcm

Car is not self propelled, but capable of rolling around. Depot to depot is not even an option (I think?) given the location of pickup and more importantly the delivery destination (remote rural).

Will try giving car carriers a ring to determine pricing - thanks for the suggestion.

p.s. Warrnambool is more than 8x the size of the nearest local town!

I think you may have just solved it for me - I have access to a 14 Tonne GVM flatbed "farm truck". Forklifting onsite may be possible given your indication they are prepared to offer this service using their own trucks. Thanks! :togo:

Last edited by gcm; 11-10-2008 at 10:45 PM.
gcm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcm
Hi All,

Just hoping someone might be able to help with possible solutions for transporting a a damaged, unregistered vehicle interstate (ACT to NSW ~ 200km).

From what I can find, the average car trailer is not capable of moving more than 1200kg (1950kg required) and the cost of using a tow truck is prohibitive.

Look forward to hearing any suggestions.
The 1200kg bit seems strange as most cars weigh more than that!

Try ringing a trailer hire place near you.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I've hired car trailers and driven hundreds of km
The main thing is the tow vehicle must be capable of towing the weight of the trailer and the car, so you generally need a Landcruiser or similar not a falcon or commodore sedan which have lighter tow capacity
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
The 1200kg bit seems strange as most cars weigh more than that!

Try ringing a trailer hire place near you.
I've hired car trailers and the recent ones have all had 1200kg maximum on them.

mind you, the trailers have carried a lot more than that without issues.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Selwonk

just do it with a car trailer,don't be scared.just drink a big ole glass of harden the f*#k up before you do it!!!
92 eb 2 i6 extractors 3''inch exhaust hi flo cat,xh tickford snorkel,t5 heavy duty clutch, 3.45 lsd ,dobinson s/lows, 16''roh milanos,DBA slotted rotors,in dash dvd flip out 7'',roof mount,front splits,12 carbon dvc sub,800w monoblock,h/d cabling and gold accessories,el ghia leather seats,au centre console,el door trims,custom number plates.
Selwonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
MRHELE

Pretty much all the Car Trailer's you can hire nowaday's have a 2000 kilogram G.V.M, so I don't understand why you don't just rent one of them?
MRHELE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
gcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRHELE
Pretty much all the Car Trailer's you can hire nowaday's have a 2000 kilogram G.V.M, so I don't understand why you don't just rent one of them?
Could be wrong but I thought GVM was Gross Vehicle Mass which ment the total weight of the trailer and it's load combined must be <= 2T. Given the trailer itself is somewhere around 500kg then they're incapable of taking the average large vehicle.

In addition to the farm truck I've considered using a new Rodeo (3T max braked tow) but have been unable to find anywhere that hires a car carrying trailer able to take the load.

As for using one rated for 1200kg, forget it - any damage means a bill of about $2,200 for the trailer not to mention the whole voiding insurance thing.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
MRHELE

My apologies, as I read your original post incorrectly.
For some reason I read it as your car weighed 1200, but it actually weigh's 1950, so you are correct.
MRHELE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post