Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Nickxb
XB in progress

Default Buying a modified car

Hey guys

i am looking at buying an 85 XF ute that has been modified as my daily driver.

The mods include the engine being bored out 20 thou, lowered, different gearbox plus other bits and pieces.

What things do i look for to make sure that they have been done properly and are compliant with the rego ect.

Also does anyone know if the racq inspection is a saftey cert that can be used for transfer of rego?

Thanks for your help guys

Nick

Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

You will need a RWC to transfer the rego. The seller should supply this and if he refuses that would be a deal breaker for me.

RAC provide good inspections, you can talk to them about what checks they may perform on the engine such as compression tests etc.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
cowboy
Cowboy

Most pre-purchase inspections will give you a guide only. They are in no way a guarantee and no good for rego transfer (at least down south) As stated above, you will need a RWC.

What box had been put in it, if it is a standard box for the model (ie bolt in) should be no problems. If it is something that has been retro fitted then could be problems if the fitter didn't know his stuff.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Nickxb
XB in progress

Not sure on what box it has, I know it has been changed from 3 speed to 5. I think i have changed my mind about this one. i dont like the idea of having my daily driver as a car that has had its engine rebuilt. Who knows how it was done.

Thanks guys
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
68XTFairmont

honestly you are looking at buying a 23 year old car and you are worried that it has had the engine rebuilt??
68XTFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

engine bored 20thou is not really modified, pretty normal rebuild when the bores need more than a hone. What internals used, stroke still stock, changes to pistons, port work on heads etc?

A simple 20thou bore and new pistons and rings is no issue, check who it was done by. I would be more concerned about the box, sounds like a 3spd auto to 5spd manual which may require significant modifications and lots of potential for back yard dodgey.